*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1148151-Allyway
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by K
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1148151
very short, but enjoyable, story.
My pace quickened as I remembered last nights dream. It lingered in my thoughts. I scurried along the dark alleyway not daring to look back. But the wind was whistling in my ears and it felt like a shadow growing behind my back. I must look back, but no I cant! My whole head thundered just trying to keep out the thought of turning around and facing my monster. The smell of something dead ambled along beside me, haunting every step. But I couldn’t take it the shadow that was approaching was now a shadow of an unknown creature. Leering. Readying to pounce. I steadied my pace and took in a long breath of fresh air. To comfort me , make me a heroine. The stench was still lingering, fuming and clasping every last tangent of hope. In an outburst of movement my head turned suddenly and long hair flung itself in front of my face. Slowly it loosened its grip yet I was surprised to see... nothing. Further on..... nothing. I had stopped walking. The cold breeze sank into every tear that was suffocating my face. My eyes were watering. Why where my eyes watering?! Vision was focussed and I could see no monster. What was I thinking? There are no such things as monsters and daemons and creatures of the sort only in dreams like the one I had last night. But why am I still crying? Why does everything still seem so wrong?

“ Do you Hanna Nate take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband in sickness and in health till death do you part”
“I do”
“And do you Michael Handerson take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife in sickness and in health till death do you part”
A pause
“ I do”
“ I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride”
But he didn’t kiss me. He stared at me like I was some sort of specimen to be examined. Then he touched his lips against mine in surrender. It was far from a kiss.

I knew know why as I looked upon the corpse of my deceased husband. A knife plunged into his back. I knew now why A beautiful wedding dress was riddled with warm blood. I turned over the corpse and stared into the eyes of my wounded husband. Cold and lifeless. Just as he’d always been.

But all shadows fade in the night. And this night the eve had come with bloodshed and ended with Guilt.

A river funeral was held that day .“Ashes To ashes Dust to dust.” It ended with the splash of dirty water and the splash of fallen tears .....never to be found.

© Copyright 2006 K (kt123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1148151-Allyway