*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171010-Cranberry-Sauce
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1171010
mutiny and danger aboard a starship deep in space
13 Years After the Launch of the starship Salient

The knife’s edge felt sharp and cold on Zeffa’s throat, much like her soul at the moment. The drunk holding her had ripped her purple jumpsuit partially exposing her right shoulder and a little bit more... His breathe was coming in ragged gasps now and she could feel the dampness of his sweat soaked clothes. Perspiration from the taller man dripped down his face and splashed onto Zeffa’s bald head. Black spots kept dancing in front of her eyes. The pressure and pain from her arm twisted behind her back kept building and a feeling of desperation was near climaxing in Zeffa’s heart.

“Take it easy buddy” a nearby security guard in his light brown pants and shirt looked like a weight lifter “Drop the knife and let her go. Nobody needs to get hurt.”

Pulsating music, heavy on the bass, blasted out in the smoky rec room. A light grey mist covered the floor. Details were difficult to see in the dark blue and green light rotating from the low hung ceiling in the center of the room. Tables and chairs on a dark brown floor surrounded an empty space. A holographic band screeched in one corner gyrating to the beat and pounding on their steel guitars as though they were drums.

“She %!@@#@ she $%!@##” whatever words the drunk man was trying to say were somehow lost in the translation. But Zeffa could tell he was mad, real mad.

Never ever bet with your body Zeffa thought to herself. How could she have known that her next hand would be that bad? But on the other hand she wasn’t about to give him what he wanted. It had been easy to rationalize and at the time she wasn’t even sure if he would remain conscious long enough to see whether he had won or lost. No question about it that it was an unenforceable wager, and if this nameless cretin had realized that everything would have been ok.

Hearing the hiss of something happening in the ventilation system, Zeffa relaxed just a little. Her rescue had begun. Apparently her captor realized it to as he looked up and then everyone in the room slumped to the deck. Surrendering to the inevitable Zeffa went down as well and fell fast asleep.

*********************** *********************** *************************

The white marble briefing room was large enough to fit the entire ships complement of over 2,000- if required. At the moment only the 14 crewpersons from the 3rd shifts bridge crew stood at attention in two rows of 7 listening to their direct superior ‘berate’ them. With a shock Zeffa suddenly realized that she wasn’t even sure what they had done wrong. But there was an endless list of rules and regulations so breaking one were not really something they worried about to much anymore. Not after 13 years of working together on the same ship. The Pod Specialists commanding officer, Ships Officer Garrett was a “by the book” sort of person and he just didn’t get it. Though Zeffa suspected that somewhere under his gruff exterior a real human being had to exist. Though on reflection she realized that was mostly an assumption.

Beside her Zeffa could feel Fazzle struggling to stay awake. Elbowing him, she was satisfied when he let out a soft ‘umph’. Fighting back a giggle that suddenly wanted to erupt like a volcano, Zeffa managed just barely to fight back the grin trying to ruin her ‘official’ face. As he desperately fought to stifle a yawn she knew that he was also feeling the ‘laugh’ reflex. Odd how sometimes that urge to just laugh was as contagious as any disease known to mankind! Maybe though it was just last night, Zeffa suppressed a shudder, after that it felt good to just be alive.

Wiggling her toes in her purple flat-heeled shoes she marveled as she had so many times before at the absolute insanity of color coding a huge ships crew. In the confines of this huge and beautiful ship it created some odd color clashes. But on the other hand you could tell at glance if a person was on duty, off duty, and where they were supposed to be all based on the color of their uniform and patches.

Suddenly Zeffa realized that Garrett was calling her out, “Junior Pod Specialist Zeffa Danndell FRONT AND CENTER”.

Obediently stepping out of formation she purposefully and carefully squared her corners as she marched around and came to a stop in front of her commanding officer. Now it was coming.

Garrett yelled out into the formation “Pod Specialist Fazzle Jenkins HOLD, FORMATION DISMISSED!” Other then Fazzle the formation quickly dissolved as none of them had much desire to remain within ‘shooting’ range of their commander.

“This crap has got to stop!” Garrett stood just inches from her face and Zeffa knew she was in trouble, “That incident from last night will go on your PERMENANT record. You WILL NOT continue these risky behaviors.”

Control freakZeffa thought to herself as she struggled to suppress a tear trickling down her face, I do not need your approval. I do not need your approval. She began repeating to herself over and over again in her own mind.

“Junior Pod Specialist Zeffa Danndell you are REMANDED to the custody of Pod Specialist Fazzle until further notice. YOU WILL NOT LEAVE HIS PRESENCE.”

Groaning Zeffa knew that was bad, “Sir…” she began but the glare in Garrett’s eyes stopped her before she could go any further.

“Pod Specialist Fazzle Jenkins, FRONT AND CENTER!” A moment passed as Fazzle marched to stand beside Zeffa. “Until further notice if I catch Zeffa anywhere but in your presence I will confine you both to a detention cell unless you are on duty. Is that clear?”

“YES SIR!” Fazzle’s deep bass voice echoed in the large briefing room.

Garrett looked at Fazzle intently “I am making you responsible for Zeffa’s safety is that understood?”

“YES SIR!” Fazzle reply was quick and eager, almost to eager Zeffa realized.

“DISMISSED! Get out of my presence.”

Quickly Zaffe and Fazzle left not daring to breathe until they had exited the large hallway.

“Come on lets go to the lower decks lounge. You got some explaining to do.” Fazzle told her, “We got a few hours before we hit the sack.”

*********************** *********************** *************************

The darkened lounge just across from one of the entrances to the lower decks dormitory was empty except for the two of them. Zeffa had been talking for awhile now, but she could tell from the bored look on Fazzle’s face that he was mostly just waiting for her to run down. When she paused Fazzle saw his chance.

“So” he interjected quickly “You wanted cranberry sauce for ‘thanksgiving’ and were gambling for it.”

Zeffa just nodded afraid if she started talking again she wouldn’t be able to stop.

Sighing Fazzle shook his head from side to side “The resource restrictions will get tighter. Time to give up on that sort of thing.”

Holding her breathe Zeffa hoped he didn’t ask anymore questions.

So of course he did, “I’m guessing you’re a traditionalist?”

Of the various groups among the fleet there were the fewest of them, and most of them were treated with disdain. Sometimes the disdain had even turned violent.

“Why not turkey?” he asked another question.

Stunned Zeffa held her breathe wondering how he even knew about turkey. Back when the earth had still existed certain ancient traditions had seemed important to some. Those who wanted to cling to some of those practices had become known as traditionalists. It was unclear what roll they had played in the end, but among the fleet there were some of them scattered around. Most hiding unless they found someone of like precious faith.

“Believe whatever you want. The only way out of this mess is to play it straight. So that’s it. You’re on my schedule now. Lets get some shut eye” Obviously Fazzle was bored with talking.

********************** ******************** ****************** *******

Zeffa woke to the feeling of being suffocated, she panicked trying to move, to tear a piece of clothe away from her mouth and nose. Desperately she tried to scream but couldn’t get a sound out. She felt a hand exploring where it didn’t belong.

A familiar voice chilled her to the bones, “I always collect honey, always.” She tried to see something, see whoever was talking to her but could see nothing. With a start she realized that whatever was covering her face was covering her eyes as well!

Oh God! she thought to herself Someone has to see they have to!

“You want to live in peace, come back to the rec room.. you know where, you know when.” A very quiet chuckle followed, “I’ll be watching…”

And then the world faded away into nightmares of forests covered in fog…

************************* ********************* ****************** ****

Riding the glass elevator to the bridge Zeffa noticed a familiar brown shirt just behind them and maybe 20 feet lower. Odd that she would bump into him again, turning to Fazzle she started to say something but stopped unable to think what to say. Looking back she realized that the security guard from ‘her incident’ had gotten off. Maybe it was just her imagination but it almost seemed like he had been staring at her- intently. She had to shake it off- she just had to.

********************* ********************* ***************** *********

The work of a pod specialist is in many ways an enjoyable one. They served as the primary method for the ships AI to properly take into account the human needs wishes and commands of all those aboard the ship. Other interfaces were available, but none were as quick and flawless as the telepathic interface of the pod seats. Using it the officers of the ship could direct the huge vessel and keep it functioning as a unified whole. For Zeffa that meant helping the AI to process social interactions and meetings across the entire ship. That might lead one to assume she knew what was happening, but unfortunately it usually didn’t work that way. Random images from thousands of people scattered around this large a ship might mean something to the AI or even the officers but a lot of the time it meant nothing to her.

What was that man trying to do you? the Salient suddenly asked her.

Uncomfortable, Zeffa knew that this was not a good conversation to get into, looking up at the holographic projection above her pod she froze when she saw the clear picture of herself being held at knife point. With a shock she suddenly realized that a portion of her breast was exposed. Blushing she looked back towards the Bridge Officer on duty and saw him watching, a grim look of disapproval on his face.

Please clear that picture she implored.

“POD 6, cross link to security references!” the Bridge Officer ordered.

Please identify any security references available for recording Zeffa thought to the Salient and with that Zeffa just closed her eyes and waited for the most recent nightmare to end.

After you left here two cycles ago you went to a reserve rec room on a support deck off the main elevator. How did you get involved with that man who had you had knife point? the Salient asked her.

I don’t know. I never met him before. Zeffa protested.

The scene above her head started to switch and Zeffa gasped knowing what was going to happen next. Even with her eyes closed she knew. NO!

Then tell me the truth.

Miserable now Zeffa replied I had heard of a rumor about him… awhile go.. in the past. When I… wanted certain things.. they were available from him. Painful sigh now. For a price. Usually I gambled for what I wanted. You got all the recordings you don’t need me to tell you.

He victimized you and others. And yes I do. Listen to me Zeffa could feel the Salient’s compassion You must not go near that rec room again. Avoid that man at all costs. Whatever happens next, remember this: there is always another place to go. Think big. Think real big.

“POD 6 and POD 4 disconnect.” The Bridge Officer ordered.

Obediently Zeffa did as was requested. Looking up at the Bridge Officer Zeffa could only see the authority he represented the rest did not matter. Here on the bridge whatever he said went. A few pods around the circle Fazzle had also risen from his pod.

“An escort to an upper deck meeting room waits just outside the door. Dismissed!” the Bridge Officer commanded.

The decks above the bridge were basically ‘controlled’ access areas and Zeffa swallowed hard wondering what was in store for them. A senior officer in white met them just outside the bridge doors and escorted them to the glass elevator. The Salient was a huge ship, and when one said deck, those decks were not necessarily ‘stacked’ one above another. In fact the elevator was actually composed of multiple slivers of glass- not real glass more like force fields you could stand on- which carried people and cargo through huge transit spaces built into the center of the ship. She could still remember the day her orientation officer warned them to never look down. Gravity- or what way was up was whatever way the ship wanted it to be… so orienting yourself inside the elevator was difficult to say the least. Things inside the Salient where not always held in place by physical connections of steel and alloy, so perhaps it was easier to say that decks existed inside the Salient held in place by force fields surrounded by the elevator shaft. Anyways everyone just called them the glass elevator.

Looking around during the ride, Zeffa suddenly noticed the man in the brown shirt again. Tapping Fazzle shoulder she motioned his direction. Puzzled Fazzle just looked at her and shrugged his shoulders. Frustrated for a moment she considered her options, and realized that she had none.

Arriving at a deck she had never seen before they all stepped off the glass slip which dissolved once they where safely on the deck. Walking towards a door the officer in white took a position at attention outside and motioned them through.

Absolute darkness greeted them. The door slide shut behind them. Gulping Zeffa had an urge to scream but managed to stifle it.

“I assure you that no harm will come to you. I have some questions to ask.” The voice sounded monotone as though someone or multiple someone’s were hiding thier identity.

“Yes sir!” Fazzle answered for both of them.

“The situation across all the ships in the fleet is grime. Criminal syndicates are operating, and fractures have occurred in senior leadership. The situation is deteriorating. On this ship alone more than 4 murders occurred during the last 3 shifts and several acts of sabotage.”

“What“ Zeffa was scared but she had to say something, anything to keep the horror pressing in against her at bay “What does that have to do with us?”

“By pure dumb luck you may have stumbled upon an even more dangerous situation… we believe that certain elements wanted to use you to help engineer their mutiny.”

“No” Zeffa pressed her hands against her ears realizing that the events of the past few days were beginning to take their toll “No. I would never!”

“We want you to return to them, as our spy.”

“I cant’.. you don’t understand” Zeffa was struggling now and in the darkness tears were rolling down her face.

“Why?” the voice laughed in monotone “You've already been among them. The records from the Salient-even with gaps- let us see the games you've been playing, both when you won and when you lost. You don’t have to do anything you haven’t already done.”

“No!” Zeffa screamed now unable to contain the emotions bottling up on the inside “I won’t!” Dropping to her knees she cradled her head in her hands knowing she was close to losing it. A drunk waited her in the rec rooms. One threatening to collect what she should never have wagered. A threat she could not possibly face, not after the knife, not after he had followed her to her bed.

Suddenly a dull boom followed by several louder explosions rocked the darkened room. The voice stopped and somehow both of them knew that something bad was happening. Several moments later smoke began pouring into the darkened room.

Fazzle grabbed her by the arm and hauled her up, “We gotta go.”

They could both feel intense heat near the doorway, but ignoring the blisters that began forming on his hands Fazzle forced the door open. Outside an even worse sight greeted them both as they found the officer who had led them to the room slumped in a blacked mess against the door. He was dead, whoever he was.

Looking down at him for a moment Fazzle muttered “Rest in peace.”

For a moment Zeffa just looked at him trying to ignore her already puffy red eyes and the feeling that her entire world had just been ripped to shreds, “That is what a ….”

Putting his finger to his lips in a shushing movement he winked at her.

“What now?” Zeffa began not sure at all what was happening.

“Now you can come with me” the brown shirt stood there some sort of weapon in his hands. “Don’t make me use this again.”

“What’s going “ Fazzle began but he didn’t get very far before the brown shirt shoved the weapon in Fazzles face.

“I only need one of you… and I think she’s worth more.”

Confused Zeffa wasn’t sure what to make of all this. Events were moving to fast, they needed to be slowed down.

“What do you want?” Zeffa asked fighting the urge to just go completely hysterical. Her voice was rushed and excited.

“There’s someone I want us to visit.. together. For the second time. But we don’t need additional company.” the brown shirt shoved his weapon up under Fazzle’s chin forcing him back a step. And then another step closer to the edge of the elevator. It really wasn’t a very smart move. All of them were watched by the AI of the Salient. Zeffa was puzzled. Something didn’t make sense here. If the brown shirt wanted to kill Fazzle… except maybe he didn’t. She had to make him reveal whoever it was he worked for.

“Why do you want control of the ship?” She chanced it.. though it seemed like a long shot. Maybe he would talk. Maybe she could stall him just a few moments longer.

“We don’t want the Salient. We don’t want you. Someone else wants you. They get you, we get something else. Except I think that your little trip to the management here has started things a little faster than anyone planned.” Pausing in his short speech the brown shirt suddenly used his foot to kick Fazzle over the edge. One brief scream and he disappeared from view. Zeffa froze her heart pounding.

The brown shirt reached over to her and grabbed her wrist yanking her towards him and placed his gun against her skull. “Little lady.” Then he paused with a laugh. “No lady doesn’t fit here, but I’ll save the useless insults.” He shoved her hard towards an access panel. “We need to get moving and I don’t think we want to take the usual method of travel.”

Suddenly a flash of insight dawned on Zeffa, maybe she had no clue what was happening, but if she jumped over the side the Salient would catch her. That elevator was big, in fact it was very big. What had the Salient said to her? Think big that had been the ships words. Desperately she pushed the brown shirt back and with all her strength jumped for the edge.

And if she had been the least bit athletic she would have made it but alls she did was sort of crash near the edge. Crying out in pain she felt something snap in her shoulder. This was not good, it wasn’t good at all. Looking up at the now angry brown shirt Zeffa wondered what he would do…

The sound of an energy discharge weapon filled the air. The brown shirt recoiled for a moment an odd look of fear and disbelief on his face, and then he collapsed to the deck. A very professional looking Ships Officer Garrett walked over to her.

“Good move there. I needed a few more seconds to get in position and you gave it to me. Look open fighting has broken out all over the fleet. The Salient diverted me here when Fazzle went over the edge. Right now I got to make sure that enough pod specialists get dumped into the elevator to keep the ship running when this is over. You’ll be in free fall, but the Salient will keep you from hitting anything until you can be safely rescued.” Garrett's voice was measured and precise.

Unable to comprehend what was taking place, she just nodded. Without another word he pushed over the edge. And she was falling…. for an endless eternity she just fell… things flying past her faster then she could ever identify. Vaguely she knew that the Salient was using artificial gravity to propel her at high speeds away from things and juggling everything so that no one even knew she was there. Her shoulder hurt like hell, but for the first time in awhile she actually relaxed. There was nothing else she could do, but fall for awhile.

***************** *************************** **********************

The first thing that Zeffa heard was an anxious Fazzle, “Is she ok?”

“I think so” a heavy sigh “This room was a reception area when we began the journey. Now its a recovery room. A lot of deaths today. Far more wounded then we have facilities to help.”.

Fazzle suddenly sounded dangerous “Tell me!”

“Its not serious- a broken shoulder, under normal conditions I could do more. But I have given her what she needs. Given a few weeks she will mend, nearly perfect as before. Take her, there is nothing I can do for her.”

She heard the unseen doctor’s footsteps fading away into the distance.

“Come on; let’s get you back to the dormitory.” Fazzle put his arm around her and helped her stand up. The open floor of some nameless deck swam in front of her. She noticed the bandages around his hands. “Most of the fighting has stopped. Cleanup has begun. The area around the lower decks and the bridge are both secured.”

“Why?” She asked him.

“I’m supposed to keep you safe remember?”

Ok that will work Zeffa thought to herself.

When they arrived in the dormitory it was totally empty, but Zeffa smelled something she had not smelled in many years. Wonder in her eyes she looked at Fazzle.

“How?” she didn’t know what to say.

His eyes sparkled for a moment and he pointed her towards the edge of the reflecting pool.

“I managed the turkey AND the cranberry sauce. Don’t blame me for the taste though.”

*********************** ***************************** *****************

One more time they had gathered in the large white marble briefing room. Virtually the entire remaining ships complement was gathered and yet they only filled less then half of the huge room. They were a small faction of their original number. Far too many had died in the attempted mutiny. It was a sad fact that was repeated across the entire fleet. The highest ranked senior officer remaining stood at the center of the gathering. Every ship in the fleet that was still operational was now set to receive the proceedings.

“The last few days have seen an unprecedented disaster.” There was a pause as everyone thought about that for a moment. “As the highest remaining naval officer I now take command of this fleet and its flagship the Salient. Orders are already in place for those ships which are damaged beyond their capacity to continue with us, and those which will go on. For those not in leadership positions I now offer complete and total clemency. In the next years of our mission we will be tested as never before and there are now much fewer of us to carry on. Naval martial law is now in effect across this entire fleet. With this in place I now order the immediate battlefield execution of: “ and then he began reeling off names. Far too many names to keep track of.

Feeling numb Zeffa looked up at the holographic display and watched the execution of people she had never seen before. When a familiar face appeared and then died.. the face of the drunk.. the face of the one that had threatened her in own bed… she felt relief. It was as though somehow, he had caused all of this.

The proceedings then moved on, “I would like to announce a number of battlefield promotions: Ships Officer Garrett of the Salient is hereby promoted to Bridge Officer Garrett of the Salient for valor in the face of mutiny and virtually single handily saving the Salient from the destruction. You are also hereby awarded the Admirals Commendation which is the highest award that I can grant from my position. Congratulations Bridge Officer Garrett. There are a lot of other promotions that are now in place. Further promotions and reassignments will be broadcast throughout the ship on an ongoing basis as we establish a new chain of command. We must make certain that all vital positions are filled. You are dismissed.”

As the formations dissolved Zeffa walked over to Fazzle, “Thanks for the cranberry sauce.”

He just shrugged and walked away. Stunned she just stood there for a moment, suddenly furious at him. After all they had been through he couldn’t just walk away. But he did.

************** TO BE CONTINUED IN EYES OF A DOVE ***************

Next Story:
 Eyes of A Dove  (18+)
intrigue and mystery aboard a starship in deep space
#1172634 by SigmaWind


Previous Story:
 Tainted Rainbow  (E)
of sacrifice and loneliness out among the stars
#1169942 by SigmaWind
© Copyright 2006 SigmaWind (sigmawind at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1171010-Cranberry-Sauce