*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182389-The-Reunion
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1182389
Can you really go back and do it again? REVISED
          It all started when Jimmy drifted into the breakfast nook. My coffee had cooled while I was reading the Sunday paper, and I was trying to decide whether the effort for another cup was worth making a whole pot. "Good grief! That Jimmy the Cracker hit another business just yesterday. He's sure to get caught soon," I commented out loud. "Jimmy," I sighed, "he even picked the same name as yours." My husband of twenty-five years still looked the same as he did when we were in high school. I, on the other hand, had some gray hair, and some wrinkles I tried in vain to get rid of.

          "Hey, Beautiful. I really hate the news. It's always so negative. Let's talk positively. You busy today?"

          "Not early this morning - why?"

          "Nothing special. I just wanted to talk to you about an idea I had."

          Well, this was something new. Jimmy and I had been drifting apart ever since he took this job. It was like we no longer had anything in common. But I was crazy about him. If he was willing to open a conversation, you better believe I was going to see what he had to say. "Sure, tell me your idea", I said lightly, not wishing to lose the mood he was in.

          I watched him make another pot of coffee, get out eggs and bacon, and start preparing breakfast. He looked over his shoulder. "You eat yet?"

          "No, coffee was as far as I had gotten. If you're offering, I'll take a couple of eggs scrambled, some bacon and toast. And while we're on the subject, should I be worried?"

          "Because I chose to fix your breakfast? Hardly. I just had this really neat idea and wanted to spend some time discussing it with you. Since I started this job, I haven't had time to turn around, much less talk to you about anything."

          As I watched my darling puttering around the kitchen like he did when we were first married, I wondered where this was leading. Most of his ideas were off the wall in the past, and came to nothing. I always hoped the next idea would be The Idea - the one that would put him over - would give him the confidence he so desired. We were such a team in high school. We did everything together. But I went on to college and got a degree. He went from job to job always looking for The Idea or The Job. Even after all these years, I still hoped. This job managing the cleaning business that he had now was the one he had stuck to the longest.

          Jimmy set my plate down in front of me, and then refilled my cup from the fresh pot. "Ummm - looks wonderful.

          Jimmy got his plate and cup of coffee and sat opposite me, grinning. "You remember The Play that we did in school? "Crime Doesn't Pay"? We all got an A+ for our Senior English grade. And the part where the two Roman Soldiers reveal themselves as under cover agents was so funny - I still laugh over that. You know, for a bunch of teenagers, we did a really good job."

          "How could I forget? That play bonded us together for life. And that doesn't mention how much fun we had and all."

          "Well, I dreamed about it again last night. And it occurred to me that we might put it on again. Same people doing the same parts - you know, like a reunion but do something we could once again enjoy but as adults. What do you think? This is the year of our 30th high school reunion. Those gatherings are usually just boring dances. Let's make ours different. Let's revive "Crime Doesn't Pay."

          "Who is going to get all these people together? How on earth would we find them?

          "Well, I thought we might call the high school and find out who is in charge of alumni and see if they have a list of addresses. Then we could see if some of our old teachers are still around who would help finance the works - you know, like a theatre, props, scenery. We can all wear street clothes - like it was a dress reheursal. We might find some of the old stage hands and they could help build the props and scenery. "

          "Hmm. We might be able to get copies of the script from the drama class library at the school. I think they keep all the old play scripts." Suddenly, I realized I had gotten caught up in Jimmy's idea without meaning to. "We could send scripts to those who would have to travel who had a part and use the locals to do the rest. The week of the play, everyone could be on vacation from their jobs and they could come back for a couple of run-throughs and then have the actual performance at the end of the week. Jimmy, this could really be fun."

                                        * * * * *

          I was really surprised how well records had been kept when I visited our old high school. I figured when I asked for current addresses for this 30 year old class, that no one would have a clue. I also figured all our teachers would be so old and senile that they wouldn't even remember the class and The Play. Not only did I get a current address list of the students and the faculty from back then, but I also found a master script in the drama room - on the teacher's desk. Apparently this play was one for the records and was used as an illustration when the drama teacher tried to interest her current classes in doing a play for their Senior English assignment. That spoke volumes to me about how well we had written "Crime Doesn't Pay", not to mention the performance of it.

          Jimmy started coming home a little earlier from work. And we used all day Saturday and part of Sunday afternoon for composing a letter to send out with our idea. Notice, I said 'our' idea. It truly was drawing us back together.

                                        * * * * *

          "Yes, this is a wonderful idea." "Oh yeah, I'd do this play again in a minute." "Wow - let's do it." "I'm so glad you want to revive The Play. Of course, we'd help." Jimmy was delighted as the replies poured in. Every day we would both hurry home to see how many we had heard from. Finally the last reply was in. We checked off every single one of our old class members. The best news was that all but three were able to attend, and those were already deceased. But their spouses had volunteered. Apparently our play had been the talk of everyone's house from time to time over the years. All but two of the faculty were deceased, but these two were so very enthusiastic that it seemed like the whole group had spoken. And so we began... Oh, yeah - The Play was coming together again.

          We set the rehearsal week and performance date for the middle of October. Since it was just now early February, and everyone already knew what they were to do, we figured that would be plenty of time to re-learn lines and moves and get everything put together. Besides the current Senior English teacher had been talking to the other English teachers and they decided this would be an excellent opportunity for their classes to learn about putting on the 'perfect' play. Jimmy got busy re-learning lines and stage directions. The only tricky ones were the two Roman Soldiers because those were two of our class no longer with us. However, their spouses volunteered to do the parts in their memory. The excitement level of the whole city rose. "Crime Doesn't Pay" was back for a second 'season'. We were so surprised to find the newspaper doing a countdown to the performance date. The whole city was getting involved. But of course, The Play was spoken of with a bit of awe by everyone who had seen it - and word of mouth spreads.

                                        * * * * *

          The night of the play was cool and clear. Jimmy and I went to the school early just to make last minute checks. Plus, let's face it. We were both really nervous. We hadn't really been in sync like this in 30 years. We thought we'd be the first to arrive, but discovered everyone in the cast drifting in about the same time. There wasn't much chatter. Everyone was very busy with their own thoughts - their own memories...

                                        * * * * * *

Narrator: "Crime Doesn't Pay" - that's the name of this play. We learned long ago Cracker Jimmy couldn't say no. He cracked safe after safe; never lived like a waif. Who knew he would pay with his life on that day...

Act One:
Scene One:
Curtain opens on a dimly lit room, obviously a rich man's home. A shadowy figure stands before a wall safe, taking money and valuables from it and putting them in a black cloth bag. Then, with the safe empty except for papers he returns to it, the thief climbs out the open window and disappears.
Close Curtain.

Scene Two:
Curtain opens on a bright, sunny kitchen. Wife standing at the stove cooking breakfast. Enter the thief, now dressed in casual clothes.

Thief: Good morning, dear. Breakfast sure smells good. Did you sleep good?

Wife: Like a baby. But I'm glad you only have to work nights once in a while. I don't like being alone. You never know when someone might try to break in. Not that we have great wealth, but we do have some nice things.

Thief: That's why we had the burglar alarm installed. So you could sleep worry free. I don't like working nights either, but once in a while, it can't be avoided.

Wife: So what have you got planned for today? I want to go shopping for a new spring weight coat.

Thief: I'm going to work on my book for a while, and then I'll head down to the office. I know there will be some appointments to make. This time of year, lots of people want a good cleaning for their homes. Spring cleaning. I wonder who ever came up with that. But, that's when we do the most business.

Wife: Well, eat your breakfast. Remember we have that meeting at the hall for the upcoming Easter program. Everyone is supposed to be there. 7:00 sharp.

Thief: I won't forget. Are you going in to the office this morning?

Wife: Sure. Sandy's good, but I still want to be sure everything is done right. See you tonight. And wear something comfortable. Last time we sat for two hours discussing the Christmas program, and then ended up doing the same dinner as always.

Thief: Ok. See you tonight.
Curtain Closes.

Scene Three:
Curtain Opens on a large hall with a podium and seating. Many people are milling around talking in general.

Woman: Will you come to order? Please take your seats. Thank you. Now, we need to select a chairman to be in charge of the Easter pagant. Rosemary, would you be interested in doing that again this year?

Rosemary: Yes I will be happy to. I would like Jimmy to be the arrogant thief this year. He has such a good voice for that part. I would like to do a slightly different Easter play this year and will need about 20 to volunteer to help. I plan to do the crucifixion through the eyes of the arrogant thief.

Voices raise in discussion. Hands wave. Rosemary writes down names.

Rosemary: Thank you. Thank you all. I am sure this will be the best pagant we've ever tried. I will be calling each of you this week to set up a meeting time when we can look over the script and assign parts.

Jimmy (to his wife): Wow - we're out of here quick. This is going to be different then the Christmas thing. I can feel it in me bones.
Curtain Closes

Scene Four:
Curtain opens with two women ready to escort Jimmy across the room toward a cross. Everyone is in casual clothes.

Narrator: Jesus and the thieves were taken to the crosses on Golgotha to be crucified. The first thief was arrogant, prideful, and full of spite.

Rosemary: Ok, now Florence, you and Melissa have Jimmy tied with his hands behind his back heading toward the cross. Jimmy, you are the arrogant thief - act it out as if this doesn't bother you at all. This is a walk through, but Jimmy if you would say things that are in your mind right now...

Jimmy: This rope sure is tight. How do you know I'm the right criminal? Who turned me in? I gotta earn a living, right? Besides those rich people had it coming. And...

Florence: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand your rights?

Jimmy: Hey, that's not in the script....

Florence: Do you understand your rights?

                                        * * * * * *

          "I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. How did we live together all those years and I never knew? Jimmy. My Jimmy. I just can't believe it. This was supposed to be a play. Just a play. Not about real life. How can this have happened? This was an Easter play about the thief on the cross. My Jimmy was supposed to be the star - the thief. I just can't believe it. The two wives who took their husbands' parts since their husbands were deceased - they were both real policemen. And my Jimmy. My Jimmy - or maybe I should say "Cracker Jimmy". My Jimmy - all these years, I thought he was a business manager for "Clean Your Home, INC" and traveled a lot and now I find out he'd been a world class safe cracker. And they really arrested him. I just can't believe it. I just can't believe it..."


© Copyright 2006 Puppycat (puppycat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182389-The-Reunion