*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1188177-Support-Colorados-Smoking-Ban-No
Rated: · Essay · Business · #1188177
This is a 5 paragraph persuasive essay for my english class
Should we support the smoking ban in Colorado? Many business owners in Colorado will tell you "NO!" A lot of bar and restaurant owners say that they have lost anywhere from 10 to 40 percent of business due to this "smoking ban," and that it is a violation of the equal protection clause of the US and Colorado Constituions. Not to mention the "nitpicking" of police offecers who stat that the streets are not being cleaned and to many people are "loitering." Although some will fight and say smoking is bad for you, NO, this ban shoukd not take effect.
First and definently most impertant, is that many businesses are failing because of this ban. Business owners in Fun Times, Colorado have a different opinion from many others. Bob Bobby, owner of the Rise and Fall says he doesn't smoke and it is nice not to have to work in it, but as a business man he wants "to tell customers yes. This is just one more thing where I have to say no." Tim Timothy, who owns the BLAH just north of Colorado Springs says he has lost 30 percent of his business even though he has a large outdoor area. Kim Kimmons of Denver says he has lost 40 percent of his business and may have to lay off some of his workers. Is this fair to people who have worked so hard to make a living for themselves, just to have their rights stolen from them?
Another problem that is happening due to this smoking ban is the fact that business owners are being punished for something beyond their control. Bob and partner Rob Bobby also say that despite their efforts to keep the streets clean by putting out recepticals for cigarette butts, they are still being "nitpicked" by the police to keep it cleaned up. Fun Times Police officers have told some customers in Denver that they could be charged for loitering under the anti-gang law. This is just another way for the law to have a "hay day." It could mean more tickets and more money for our government.
In addition to all this, the US Constitution and Colorado Constitution states that we have freedom. May I ask, where is this freedom> If business owners cannot make the decision on their own, rather or not there facility is smoke free or not, are wwe truly free in this country? I realize that there are thousands of people who do not smoke in this country. and that they do not like to be around that, but it is there choice as well to go around it or not. It has been proved hen in Colorado that the businesses have been failing because of this ban. So, may I ask again, doesn't this tell you something?
Surely, it is our right as American citizens to make our own choices in life, Indeed, it should be a business owners right to decide if he wants a "smoking" or "non-smoking" facility. It seems that everyday we have come to a spot where our rights as American citizens are being taken from us. It is time to stand up and fight for our rights. No, this smoking ban should not be in effect, it is our right and our choice. Only God himself can take away our freedom.
© Copyright 2006 crystalized28 (crystalized27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1188177-Support-Colorados-Smoking-Ban-No