*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253695-The-Worst-Feeling
by MLJ
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1253695
Three friends come to a crossroads
    The two stood glaring at each other as the truth came out.
    "And she told me that she blames you for everything, and that she was the one who spread the rumors." Caroline finished.
    She stood between Melanie and Katherine, hoping a fight wouldn't break out.
    "I can't believe you." Melanie mumbled under her breath.
    "I was only being honest." Katherine said.
    "You could have come and told me to my face. You didn't need to talk behind my back. Especially to Caroline, who has nothing to do with this."
    Caroline knew this whole thing had to stop now. She would have to say something before it all ended horribly.
    "Come on guys, stop it. We've been friends forever." she pleaded.
    As Melanie's eyes narrowed on her, she realized it was too late.
    "Shut up Caroline, you are no better then she is." Melanie snapped.
    "Me? What did I do?"
    "You've been listening to this traitor all this time, and you haven't had the guts to tell me until now."
    "I didn't want to see you hurt." Caroline said.
    "No, you just didn't want to betray your precious Katherine. If she hadn't given you permission, you would have kept your mouth shut, and kept on doing whatever she wanted you to."
    "It's not like she wouldn't have done the same thing for you." Katherine muttered.
    "Just get out of here, both of you!" Melanie shouted.
    Caroline couldn't let it end like this, not after everything they had gone through together. She took a step toward her distraught friend. Melanie moved away.
    "I'm sorry." she said through her tears.
    "Just leave." Melanie said.
    Katherine and Caroline left the room silently moments later.



    They didn't speak again till they were outside.
    "I'm really sorry I got you involved." Katherine said as they walked along.
    "Me too." she responded softly.
    "She shouldn't be mad at you. You were just being a good friend."
    "Yeah."
    Several moments of silence passed. Caroline thought of all the wonderful things that had once been. There had been trust, kindness, and a bond she thought would never break. And now look at what Katherine had done. She had ruined the greatest friendship Caroline had ever known.
    "So, do you want to go to a movie tonight?" Katherine asked.
    "Actually Kat, I'm not up to it." Caroline said.
    "Then call me tonight." Katherine said after another moment of awkward silence.
    They both knew she wouldn't call, but it hurt too much to admit it.
    "Sure." Caroline said avoiding her eyes.
    She wasn't even sure she'd be able to look into those eyes again, and see the same person she had once seen. A person who would never hurt anyone, especially her best friend. That person was now gone in Carolines' eyes.
    "Bye." Katherine said turning down the street toward her house.
    "Goodbye." Caroline said softly.
    They both walked off with heavy hearts.
    As Caroline sat alone that night, she thought back to a time when things had been simple. When it seemed like they'd always be together.
    "We'll be best friends forever, right?" she heard her childhood voice asking.
    "Yeah, won't we?" Katherine asked sweetly.
    "Of course." Melanie said giggling.
    But that time was over now. And not matter how much she wished to return to it, she knew it was impossible. All the trust was gone. Everything they had built their whole friendship on was gone. She buried her head in her hands and began to sob.


    The next morning at school, everything seemed different. And it was. Melanie and Carolines' eyes only met for a second before Melanie turned them away coldly. Katherine didn't even bother to acknowledge her, and she preferred it that way. It was over, no matter what she wanted to believe. She had hoped that the anger she felt would be gone, but it wasn't. All she felt was hate, and it was so strong, she thought it would stay inside her forever.
    All the memories had been stored in her heart though. Even if they three of them never spoke again, she would always have the joy of what used to be tucked away in her heart. As she stood there at her locker that afternoon, she felt a tear slip down her cheek.
    "Hey." she heard a familiar voice from behind her.
    She spun around to face Melanie.
    "Hey." she said nervously.
    "I did a lot of thinking last night." Melanie said. She paused for a moment and sighed before continuing.
    "And I realized you were only trying to be a good friend. But I lost a lot of trust in you. And even though it seems silly for a such a little thing to break up our friendship, that's the way it has to be. Things can never be the way they were." she finished.
    "I know. I know." Caroline repeated wiping a tear from her eye.
    "Hi." Katherine said joining them moments later.
    "Hey" Melanie said. "Caroline and I have talked and-" Katherine stopped her.
    "I know what your saying. You don't have to go any further. I guess I knew it would happen one day. Sooner or later, it wouldn't be the three of us anymore. This is how it has to be, and I'm willing to accept it." she said.
    "You two will always be in my heart. Even if we're not best friends anymore. Or the "Trippin Trio", as Ryan would call us." she said with a laugh.
    "At least he won't be able to call us that horrible name anymore." Katherine said rolling her eyes.
    "At least." Caroline said with a hint of sadness in her smile. With that, the three friends went their seperate ways, and never looked back.


© Copyright 2007 MLJ (dreams1981 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1253695-The-Worst-Feeling