*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274902-Flight-of-the-Hawk
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1274902
Contest Entry for Twocastle
“The Flight of the Hawk”

Written
By
Michael Hughes


****1****

A drop of dirty water dripped from the cold surface of the rock ceiling. Two darting eyes peered through the darkness. The water hit the man’s nose and was absorbed by his sharp black beard. It was the first contact he’d had with anything save concrete for years. The feeling filled his heart with little hope, but enough to keep his sanity intact.

He began speaking, his voice was raspy and seemed lost, “You used to be something Hawk. People used to fear your name. When your flag appeared over the horizon ships fled. Not now, you got careless, Hawk. You got caught.”

Dust flew into the air as he sat down. He coughed as it entered his throat. It wasn’t uncommon. He was used to it. His head fell low; there was nothing more to do.

****2****

The night air was cold. Moonlight illuminated the Prison Tower. A man approached. His presence struck alarm with the Tower guards. This type of man was very seldom seen in these parts, but when they were, it meant something important.

“What business do you have with the Prison Tower?” A guard asked.

“I’m Advisor Essington of the Imperial Castle. I have been sent by the king himself.”

The guards were confused there was no reason why the king would send one of his own personal advisors to foresee anything at the Prison Tower. They’re unease was immediately recognized by Essington.

“Pay strict attention, what I have to say entails extreme importance and I will not repeat myself. There is a prisoner on block ten of the upper tower. I’ve come to retrieve him. You will question nothing of what I do or of what happens. Understood?”

One of the guards stood forward, he was a large man. His eyes narrowed. He had never met this man in his life, and he wasn’t certain that he had any affiliation with the king.

“Prove your value, or be stricken dead.” The guard barked.

Essington shifted his cloak to the side. On his belt lay a royal brooch with the king’s emblem cast on its surface. He quickly allowed the cloak to fall and hide it once more. Staring at the guard with an annoyed glare he walked into the Tower.

“Take me to block ten immediately. I am short on time.” He said as he walked in.

****3****

A voice called out. Hawk heard it from inside his cell. It seemed like a mirage, as if it wasn’t really there. He hadn’t heard another human’s voice for so long that he had almost forgotten what it sounded like.

Hawk’s raspy voice called out, “Who’s there?”

Outside the cell door he could hear the mechanics of the lock tumbler falling into place. Suddenly the door creaked open. Essington stood in the shadows. Hawk could only see his silhouette in the moonlight coming through a small window in the back of the tower.

“Captain Hawk?” Essington asked.

“Who’s asking?” Hawk said. He knew something was up, someone must need his help. Treason against the throne was a minimum of life in the Prison Tower, and he highly doubted that he’d served that yet.

“What be your business, stranger?” Hawk growled.

“The king of the Imperial Castle is in dire need of your assistance. We are willing to offer you a full pardon for your cooperation.” Essington said moving out of the way of the door allowing Hawk to walk out of the cell.

****4****

Essington lead Captain Hawk into a carriage parked outside the prison. He stepped into it and took a seat onto a very soft cushion. Looking around he noticed a long epee sword on the wall. As Essington took his seat he noticed Hawk eyeing the sword.

“This is your blade. We thought it would be a kind gesture to allow your reunion.” Essington said with a smirk.

Hawk took the blade and strapped it to his belt. He then glared at Essington, “What be the real reason for this break out? You’re no advisor to the king.”

“How could you tell?” Essington said slightly impressed.

“First, you don’t got their stink. Second, this ain’t my sword.” Hawk said twirling his mustache, “Now you’ll be telling me the real reason if ye don’t want to get gutted.”

Essington sat back in his seat spreading his arms across the back and said, “The balance of Twocastle is teetering on a very fickle axis. The alliance that has been so carefully constructed is in a state of crumbling.”

“And what’s this got to do with me?” Hawk said becoming readily annoyed.

“A friend of yours is very ill. She holds the balance that we seek.”

****5****

The carriage pulled up to a beautiful forest. A green aura enveloped everything making the woods seem magical. Something was wrong though. Hawk could feel it. As they pulled around a corner in the trail they saw a majestic cabin. Hawk got a very uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“What be this? I will not be tricked!” Hawk yelled.

“Mind your tongue captain! She awaits us.”

When they pull up to the cabin Captain Hawk saw who Essington was referring to. He quickly got out of the carriage and began walking the opposite direction.

“Where do you think you are going, Hawk!?” Essington yelled getting out of the carriage.

“Far from here if I can help it.” Hawk yelled back laughing.

“We had a deal, Hawk! You will honor that!”

Hawk turned around his pointy black beard waving in the wind. His dark eyes penetrated Essington’s stare. Hawk growled, “I agreed to help the king of the Imperial Castle. I even agreed to help an old friend of mine. Moravia the Elf Queen is neither.”

As he turned around to leave Essington barked back, “I would not take another step, Captain Hawk. If you knew what was good for you.”

Without even glancing back Hawk kept walking and laughing, suddenly a radiating heat blew past Hawk’s right ear. Then in front of him a tree combusted into flames. He turned in curiosity. What he saw intrigued him slightly. Essington’s hands were aflame, and he was already beginning to form another fireball.

“A weaver? Hmm?” Captain Hawk chuckled.

“The Elf Queen has informed me that only you know how to fix the alignment.” Essington said pleading to Hawk.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean? Why would I know something like that?”

A sultry voice flowed through the air. Its sweet sound demanded attention, “Captain Hawk, I have been expecting you. Please, come to me.”

“Damn it!” Hawk yelled, “I’d rather go back to the Prison Tower!”

****6****

Captain Hawk walked back to the cabin. Looking inside he sighed and reluctantly stepped in. Immediately he was bombarded with the smell of sweet flowers and incense..

Moravia the Elf Queen was immaculate. She lay on a sofa bed in a tight green dress. It flowed down her legs until it met the edge of the bed and fell down resting in a pool on the floor. Her long blond hair, aside from her apparent sickness, still curled perfectly in beautiful loops.

“Still looking…good.” Captain Hawk said.

“No flattery, I beg of you.” Moravia said waving him over. He complied.

“I imagine that Essington has told you about my illness. I’ve been stricken with corruption.” She said coughing a little. As she did Essington walked over with a handkerchief wiping the sides of her mouth.

Hawk looked disgusted, “Aye, the corruption can be a might bit unsettling. I’m generally saddened that ye have contracted it, but not the least bit concerned.”

“I know what I did to you was unforgivable. But I beg of you, find it in your heart to allow me to redeem myself.”

“Eh, you may redeem yourself. But I’ll never forgive ye.”

“That will have to do for now, but on to greater issues. The world is in peril. The Fairy Queen has been corrupted, and I am slowly heading in that direction, if these events occur the balance of good and evil will be demolished. All of what we know of our world will be forfeit.” Moravia said, trying to talk without coughing.

“What do you want me to do about it?” Hawk asked questionably.

“You know what you must do.”

“Now, I won’t do that, Moravia. I told ye I’d never do that.” He said drawing back.

“DO IT!” Moravia uncharacteristically bellowed.

“Fine…” Hawk pulled his sword from the scabbard on his belt. He raised it high over his head.

“What do you think you are doing?!” Essington protested.

“It must be done!” Hawk yelled bringing the sword down straight into Moravia’s soft belly. A waling scream flowed from her like a siren. A bright light shown from where she lay, and when the light settled there was nothing.

“Rest in peace my queen.” Hawk said with a tear falling from his eye.

1500 words
© Copyright 2007 Mike Hughes (mikewingmh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1274902-Flight-of-the-Hawk