*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294140-Death
by Avian
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1294140
My First Ever Short Story and still my favorite
         The cold wind bit at his face as he stood at the edge of the roof of his apartment complex. Wind blew his hair and coat back in a way that gave him the essence of being a higher being. The moon shone brightly on his pale skin making him glow. Cars passed up and down the street beneath him completely unaware of him. Most people were completely unaware of him even those in his daily life. He had considered jumping before but it would do him no good. He couldn't die, at least not yet. He raised his eyes and looked at the sky above him and gazed into the distant moon that seemed to fill the sky. The breeze picked up and he smiled, he held his arms out backwards and let the wind blow his coat off of him. With the coat now gone two wings were revealed. He stretched them to either side of him and let the wind pick him up in its gentle embrace.
          He was most at home in the air. Even on such a strange and foreign land. He loved the way the air felt as it blew through his feathered wings and caressed them softly. The way he was able to control his movement ever so slightly and how the wind would carry him for hours and hours with hardly any help. But most of all the lack of people. He enjoyed the solitude. Well he welcomed it at least. It let him escape all the problems of the day and let him lose himself in the emptiness.
         He opened his eyes and adjusted his course slightly to the left. There was a small lake outside of the town that was rarely visited. It was one of the few places of true beauty left near this town. He let himself be carried by the wind and landed softly on the dirt shore. The moon shone through the trees at the right angle causing the entire lake to shine as if greeting him. He smiled yet again and began taking the layers of his clothing off until he was left in a pair of underwear. Quietly he folded his wings close to his body and they faded into his skin.
          He walked into the lake and let the current of it to pull him away. Let himself drift in the water as he would if he were in the air. A tear ran out of the corner of each eye as he did so. There was nothing left for him on this planet. And he would miss it greatly when he left. The moon's glow was cut off by a passing shadow that drew close to the lake. It was time then. The shadowed angel landed at the shore.
         "You know why I am here?"
         "I do," he spoke drifting in the water.
         "Then you wont resist?"
         "Death comes for us all at some point in time."
         "Very well then." The shadow skimmed across the surface of the lake and lined itself with the angel in the water. His wings were now spread again in the water. The shadow matched him perfectly and it dissolved itself into the other. It was a quiet death. After the two merged the body shone dimly and faded away into the air as it released each and every spirit inside of itself one at a time. And then nothing.
© Copyright 2007 Avian (avianazure at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294140-Death