*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300035-The-Cat-That-Made-My-Dreams-Come-True
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1300035
This is a true story of how Damian, a Siamese cat changed my life for the best.
 
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **



A cat that made your dreams come true? Glad you asked. This is a very
real story about one of two very special Siamese cats. I'll get to his part in this story shortly.

  I met a young lady on the internet by way of her best friend. They both worked at a medium security prison in Massachusetts. I played spades on-line with the best friend (Nancy) every chance we got. I lived in North Carolina at the time and this was my late night entertainment.

  Nancy and I played our cards, and got to know each other as well as could be. On one particular night she got to know me a lot better than I ever intended. Get your mind back in the General Public ratings now, it wasn't like that. I had just gone through a nasty divorce, and was feeling very down that night. I was also in a major amount of pain due to failed back surgery. I needed to talk to anyone who would listen, and Nancy did.

  A couple of weeks after we got to know each other, Nancy said she wanted me to meet her best friend. She set up a time for us all to be on-line at the site we used and she introduced me to MaryEllen (Mel). Mel was stuck in an abusive marriage and Nancy was worried about her so she wanted me to talk to her.

  After my abusive marriage I had made the decision that there would be no more serious relationships. Women were to be kept at bay, "friendship only." Mel had come to the same decision about men because of the abuse she had gone through. At least there were one thousand miles separating us, we didn't have to worry about our emotions getting out of control.

  Wrong!

  We became very good friends very quickly, too quickly as a matter-of-fact. Within a matter of a few weeks to a month I found myself falling in love with this lady whom I had never laid eyes on, and never physically touched. Though she wouldn't admit it at the time, Mel felt the same way. A few weeks later however, she did admit it in a big way.

  We were now talking on the phone any time we got the chance when Mel said something that totally blew my mind. She said: "Rob, I want you to come home now! All I could say was: "what?" She said you heard me, "I want you to come home now."

  I'm totally disabled, had no money on hand, and no money in the bank. At the time, I had nothing to sell to get any money, and no vehicle due to the divorce. I told her exactly that, but she said she would take care of everything, and she did. She paid for a bus trip from my hometown to Charlotte North Carolina. My bus just made it in time for me to catch my flight to Manchester New Hampshire where she would pick me up.

  I never had any doubts as to whether or not I was doing the right thing. I knew I was! I made my change over flight and was off again with an ever growing anticipation of meeting this young lady who had stolen my heart from an eternity away it seemed.

  Finally, my plane landed, I gathered my bags, and headed out of the main entrance of the airport where I was to meet Mel. All I had to go on was the picture she sent me over the internet. That was all I needed. When I stepped out of the airport I saw my angel. Down went my bags, and it was off to the races. It was kind of like one of those commercials where a man and woman race toward each other in a field of wild flowers, and in reality, it was just as beautiful.

  I let Mel see the real me from the moment we met, just an old country boy from North Carolina. Seeing I was authentic in everything I said actually scared her to the point that she was ready to send me back to North Carolina after three weeks of being together. This is where Damian, the Siamese cat comes in.

  Mel had the boys for four years already when we met. They had protected her, comforted her, and even saw to it that she stayed alive during an accidental overdose of tylenol in which she passed out on the kitchen floor. They were the only ones who had never hurt her, and the only ones she really trusted.

  Dylan took to me from the very beginning. He sort of became my buddy for life. The day before I was to head back to North Carolina, it was Damian, he's the one on the right, who came to my rescue.

  We were headed out to do some shopping when it happened. I went back to my room to gather some things but was taking my time as I felt my dreams slipping away. All of a sudden, Damian came in the room and jumped up on his window perch and meowed at me. With Mel watching what was going on, Damian layed down on his perch and went belly up, begging for a belly rub which he quickly got. What made this so special is that Damian was abused by Mel's ex also.

  Prior to that moment, the only person Damian had ever offered his belly to was Mel, and he hadn't done that very often. He made Mel rethink what she was about to do. Mel kept me there, and here we are. married, with a beautiful seven year old daughter.

  Thanks Damian, for making daddy's dream come true.

word count: 958
The boys took first place in the prettiest cat contest here on WDC, 2/24/08.
© Copyright 2007 Rob G. ~Led by the Master~ (rob2457 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300035-The-Cat-That-Made-My-Dreams-Come-True