*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341672-Midnight-Secrets
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Zavie
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1341672
a short story inspired by a watercolour painting done the fanstay artist Selena Fenech.
Midnight Secrets

The glow of the full silver moon cast dark, eerie shadows across the uneven pathway and strains of merry music danced upon the still night air. Soft whispering rustles of silk, echoed near soundless footfalls as a costume clad woman picked her way along an abandoned path towards the Maidens Garden. A peculiar place forbidden to all and feared by many, that didn’t mattered to Atlanta, who often found solace amongst its crumbling archways and overgrown hedges.
Shivering as she descended the jagged stone steps Atlanta glanced up as a slight glimmer caught her eye.
Weaving her way through untamed plants spilling over their boarders, she stopped at the old palace wall. She clambered over its fallen bricks, to look out at the forest below. Once again, she saw something gleam in the moonlight, this time accompanied by a gentle jingling.
Curious Atlanta carefully climbed down from her vantage point, only to be captivated by a silvery figure, enticing her to follow. And follow she did. Stumbling down the steep unkept road oblivious to her surroundings concerned only with the figure in front of her.
Atlanta remained unaware that she was now to far away from the masquerade ball she had longed to escape from, to call for aid if needed. She was unaware of when the tall daunting trees populating the forest swallowed her, and she was unaware of irritated voices drifting on the wind only a short distance away.
The creature stopped in a small clearing standing over a dark mound. Atlanta came with in half a meter of it, slowly coming out of her daze, her visioned cleared and she could now see where she was.
Gazing around not completely sure of how she ended up in the clearing, a feeling of dread ran down her spine causing her to shiver. Instinctively her hand slipped down to rest on the hilt of her sword hanging at her waist.
Atlanta gasped in amazement at what was standing before her. A coat of shimmering silver eyes of liquid gold, a mane of spun silk and, mounted upon its forehead a razor sharp, twirling horn, like the creatures of myth possessed, the Ki-lin.
This was no ordinary steed, and judging by its standard it was undeniably the horse of a knight, Atlanta wondered where his master was.
The mound which had been overlooked until now, shifted and moaned softly. It had to be the knight!
Kneeling down she gently rolled him onto his back staring at his bloodstained tunic. Thinking quickly she spied a water flask attached to the horses saddle, reaching out she cautiously unhooked it, gently opening his mouth and dribbling a little in. Thankfully, he swallowed it, continuing until his eyes flickered open, darkened with worry.
‘Must go,’ he managed to croak.
‘No, we have to get you to a healer; do you think you can stand?’ Atlanta enquired anxiously.
The knight in response began to rise, and with her help they managed to get him atop the horse, which was no mean feat. Atlanta was thankful he was wearing no armour as she secured him to the saddle with a short length of rope and strips from her own dress.
Catching up the horses reins she made to lead him back the way they had come, but the horse shied away pulling her off balance, just as a sharp pain speared through her arm. A thunk coming from behind her told her that an arrow had just buried itself into the trunk of a tree.
Without hesitating she swung herself into the saddle behind the knight, wheeling the horse around they galloped into the dense forest with no choice but to head away from the Palace.
The horse weaved quickly between the trees, as she fought to keep her place in the saddle bending forward over the slumped knight, acutely aware of pounding hooves not far behind her. Who were these people and what did they want with an injured stranger? She thought, before quickly turning her attention back to the trees ahead, urging the horse on.
The riders were gaining on them the heavy sounds of breathing seeming alarmingly close and with a last burst of speed they broke through the trees. With a sinking feeling, it was then that Atlanta realised her fatal mistake. She had lead them to the high cliffs, which rose above a raging river.
With no way of escape she wheeled the horse to face their attackers, watching
their reactions as they too emerged from the forest, noticing their triumphant smile as they saw the cliff edge behind their prey.
A hasty glance down revealed that the knight was once again unconscious. No help there. Atlanta grimaced drawing her sword, as their hunters casually urging their beasts forward.
‘You know if you give him up we will let you go,’ taunted one. Atlanta did not believe him even for a minute she wouldn’t be able to take one step away before they shot her down.
‘I don’t believe that anything but lies have ever passed your lips, why should I believe you now,’ she hissed, looking at him in disgust. He scowled at her.
‘Have it your way bitch, but we will see how long you look at me like that once you begin to learn the meaning of pain.’
Atlanta blanched as they came closer but let no other emotion show. Surreptitiously she carefully drew the knight’s dagger out of his belt, determined to take at least one of them out before they took her.
The one who had spoken, knocked an arrow to his bow and drew it back aiming straight at her heart. Without making a sound, she flung the dagger hard just as she’d been taught. But before she could see if the blade met its target the ground beneath them gave way and they were plummeting at an alarming speed towards the river below.
A feeling of calmness descended over Atlanta as she clung to the saddle the chilling wind rushing past her, everything around her remarkably clear. She felt hollow inside as she buried herself against the knight’s back, her knuckles stark white from holding on.
Thinking of all she held dear, a single tear escaped from her eye as they plunged into the freezing water, the horses screams echoing off the cliff walls. All precious air was cut off as they sunk below the surface of the rampant water, the chilling cold seeping to their very bones. Looking up through the water, Atlanta had a last glimpse of the starry night sky before a complete and bitter darkness greedily claimed them.








© Copyright 2007 Zavie (lexia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341672-Midnight-Secrets