*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1351535-Traveling-Inspirations
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1351535
Grandparents meet through a traveling stranger. Nice Story
I pushed open the old screen door to my grandparents’ house and stepped outside onto the wooden porch. I smiled at my grandpa Jim and noticed the thin door was badly in need of fresh paint and made a mental note to paint it while I was there visiting that week.

Grandpa Jim wore faded blue overalls and a white t-shirt as he rocked in his favorite chair. He seemed to be reminiscing as he overlooked his large country front yard.

I sat down in a nearby chair. My eyes took in the peaceful surroundings that were in stark contrast to my chaotic existence as a military soldier in a time of war. I was grateful for the generous leave from the insanity of knowing that you are just a lucky shot away from death.

I was jerked back to the present as Grandma arrived with a tray that contained a pitcher of tea and two glasses. She sat the tray down on a small white table and poured tea for us. You could see the love in her eyes as she handed Grandpa Jim his glass. Hands touched lightly as their eyes met with smiles. Just as quickly, she disappeared back into the house.

Floorboards on the porch creaked as I sat my glass back onto the tray. I realized that what my grandparents have had for nearly forty years must really be something special when you hear that almost half of all marital unions end in divorce.

After a time of soothing silence, I asked Grandpa about how he and Grandma Susan met. He lit a pipe that appeared to be about as worn as he was. After a few well thought out puffs he began to speak.

“Well Bill it was a time when life was harder yet much simpler” Grandpa told me. “A time when much more farmland covered the state and people had to actually work for a living rather than sit behind a computer.”

Grandpa Jim smiled faintly as he sat down his tea glass. The afternoon light reflected off the tray and into my eyes, which required me to adjust my chair slightly.

“If I recollect correctly it is all due to a stranger,” He continued. “You see everyday my father would send me to Old Blue Mill Crossing to fetch fresh eggs from a local poultry farm.  I would do so pretty early in the morning seeing I had to quit school to help run the farm.”

Grandpa Jim said, “I traveled down County Road 57, which is now a major four lane highway. Back then it was barely considered a stretch of gravel.”

I reached for my glass. The chilled condensation on the outside of it was soothing in the warm summer heat. Grandpa Jim put his foot up on the railing and continued to rock as he remembered his youth out loud.

“One day while I was headed out for eggs, I came across a man walking down the road carrying a small brown suitcase. It was strange to see anyone walking down this stretch of road seeing there were no houses within miles.” Grandpa puffed on his pipe as he continued with his tale.

“I pulled over and offered a ride.” According to Grandpa Jim, the stranger removed his hat and simply stated, “I’m not quite ready for a ride, maybe some other time.” 

“For five days the exact same stranger was on the same stretch of roadway and each day I would pull over and offer him a ride and he would simply say he was not ready for a ride, maybe some other time.” Grandpa looked off in the distance as thought he was reliving the sequence of events over in his mind.

“I woke up that Saturday morning and realized I was running late. I jumped up and took off half dressed to fetch the eggs. I got partly down the road when I realized that I didn’t have near the gas needed to get to the poultry farm and back.”

Grandpa Jim smiled and continued. “I turned onto 57 and sure enough that stranger was walking down that same stretch of road. I was sure he was gonna say the same thing again, I planned to just drive on by this time.”

According to Grandpa, this day the stranger flagged him down. “I slowed down. Frustrated thinking on a day I don’t have enough gas to get back home this fella is gonna want a ride.” “The stranger hopped in and said, “This is a good day. Can you give me a ride to town?” “I’ll take you just as far as I can” Grandpa stated.

Then Grandpa said he found it odd the way the man held his little suitcase in his lap and said, “Today I will be your traveling companion, for tomorrow I think I will rest.”

A few minutes later they approached an intersection. The stranger pointed out a female who stood by a car that was broken down. The stranger said, “I must go on to the next town, but you should stop and help her.”

The stranger got out at the stop sign and continued on, so grandpa turned at the intersection. He pulled over to see if he could help. “I never saw that stranger again but I did meet your Grandma that moment.” Grandpa Jim adjusted in his seat and that is when we realized Susan was standing outside with us.

Grandma Susan smiled and said, “That’s not quite how I remember it.” She leaned back against the porch post and looked at the man she adored. After a moment of silence she spoke. “Several months before I met Jim, my parents moved to the far end of the county. I did not want to move from our old place and once I got here, I surely did not want to stay.”

“The week before, I had purchased an old car from a gentleman wearing a black coat and a brown hat. I bought for the purpose of leaving home and finding happiness somewhere besides the countryside.”  I got up and offered Grandma my seat. She smiled as she sat next to Jim.

“I gave that man the last $100 to my name. He removed his small brown suitcase and shook my hand. I went and packed my belongings and planned my escape for that Saturday.” My plan was to leave early, before my parents got up. I bet they were surprised to read the note I left on the table” Grandma brushed her gray hair from her face.

“I was young but not very bright,” Grandma continued. “You see, Saturday came and I loaded up my car and started off. I got most of the way across the county before my engine quit and I noticed I was out of gas, with no money.” Grandma Susan took Jim’s hand in hers.

“Then along came your grandpa, like a shining knight to my rescue. Then only problem was about the time he pulled in behind my car, he ran out of gas. There we sat for quite some time, just the two of us. That afternoon changed my life.” Grandma smiled as she rose from the chair. She turned to Jim as she spoke, “Funny thing is, I was watching as you pulled up and I didn't see anyone get out of your car at the intersection."

Word count:1240
© Copyright 2007 BillPiper (billpiper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1351535-Traveling-Inspirations