*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377647-Secrets-of-Two-Kingdoms
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1377647
An elven princess and a nobleman travel together, trying to prevent a war.
Chapter One

Tarallel was sitting alone at a table in the far corner of the Fancy Hound tavern, pondering her position. It was a delicate one right now, her real identity covered by a sheer cloak only. If that cloak was removed, she would be vulnerable again to her father’s wrath. The elf pulled her real cloak around her; thankfully it was thicker than the mental one, for it was the middle of Ice-Sky season and the snow fell thick and fast outside the warm and dry tavern. She was glad to be off the road and out of the storm; it was cold enough to freeze a babe to death in a second. Although, she thought, as yet another crude, rough looking drunk approached her chair and tried to fondle her, it was probably more peaceful. She sent the brute packing with a glare from cold green pupils. Once the man saw it was no tavern wench he was dealing with he quickly rose and walked back to his table, grabbing a much more willing companion on his way. Tarallel sighed. She had not missed the shudder that had passed through the humans frame when he realized she was an elf. The elven race was surrounded with mystery and filled with myths, one of such was that they used humans as sacrifices to their gods. She had no doubt that that particular falsehood had been started by her father. The elf king was known for his loathing of the human race, and because of his recent actions, the hatred was returned with equal force. The prospect of war between the human kingdom of His royal majesty Jerald Firscone and the elven forces of Hallarn were was becoming more and more likely with each message that was carried between the two. Often the message in return was the soldier’s body. Tarallel's thoughts were interrupted by a quiet, cultured voice, "Would you mind if I sit here, Lady? All other chairs are taken" She looked up at the young man, making a quick appraisal of his outward features; his hair was the color of the midday sun, held back with a simple leather tie. It was grown long, below his shoulders, as was the style of the more wellborn. His face was thin, with a slightly beaky nose and high cheekbones. His overall shape was lean and long. His skin was the pale color of one who seldom spent a day in the sun. But it was not any of these features which attracted the elf’s attention, if was the mans eyes, black pupiled and green as spring grass, but they held no young naiveté of the world around them, a trait Tarallel had found common in humans of all ages. She gestured with a long fingered hand for him to sit, "You are the handsomest thing in this tavern I have seen so far. Be welcome." He moved with the grace of his appearance, she noted as he sat down across from her and gave a small smile, "Given the currant company I am not sure how high a compliment that really is." She couldn't help but smile in return, her ice blue eyes loosing the dull look they had taken on at her memories. Looking about on sudden instinct she saw that most of the people in the tavern were watching them with suspicious-though drunken- gazes. She lifted her pack, which she had shoved against the wall to protect it from theft. Opening the deer hide flap she pulled out her extra cloak, a mottled gray and black one made of silk. It was more for decoration than the sturdy green wool garment she wore, but it would serve her intended purpose, "You appear to out of place here, my lord. Put this on." She handed it to him. He wrapped it around himself without a word. Then he called for a mug of Sdiof, which arrived quickly and silently, the girl who had brought it seeming terrified of these strange guests. While he blew on the steaming drink, the man introduced himself, "I am lord Kalocgn, known to most as Kal. Forever at your service, Lady." She snorted slightly, very lordly in speach, he was. She had known he was a lord the moment she had seen him. No commoner would have had such a perfect face and unmarred skin. “I am Tara." She returned. He could well see she was an elf, there was no cause to point it out, though she did make sure her hood covered her ears. She did not wish for every soul in the tavern to know a potential enemy was in their midst. Elves had no obvious differerences compared to humans, aside from there ears. Many people didn't even know the other differences. All elves had green pupils. They had varying colors in the iris's of there eyes, but the pupil was always green. Just as a humans pupils were always black. So, since the cloak covered her slender body and pointed ears, it was likely no one in the tavern would even notice Tara was at all different. Kal did not ask her business so far from her home, nor did she ask his. It is odd how travelers of the same origin often get stuck together. Although she hoped that her companion did not realize that she was of royal lineage as well. That was fact that she could hide, despite her elven ancestry. As it went deeper into the night Tarallel’s head began to nod slightly, and Kal's eyes drooped at the corner. They both rose together and each paid for a room, "Ye sure ye wouldn't want one together?" The barkeep said with a conspiratorial grin. Tarallel ignored him, as did the lord, and strode up the stairs to the small chamber she had purchased for the night. She bolted the door before turning to survey the room. Tara grimaced-the bed was stained, sandy and flea infested. With a sigh she flicked her fingers at it, “Trajfre.” she murmured quietly. Instantly the bed became clean and the stench rising from the sour sheets disappeared, replaced by the refreshing scent of a spring shower. That smell always appeared when she used her magic. It was annoying to her way of thinking. It let everyone who knew her know when she had used her power. The princess staggered slightly as she walked to the bed. Even that small bit of magic had tired her further. A week on the road with little rest could do that to a being, even if that being was an elf. Settling her weary body into the bed she fell asleep without bothering to removing her cloak.



BANG! Tara leapt out of bed with a start at the noise. A shout followed the clatter, along with the sound of breaking glass. Without thinking Tara unbolted her door and ran to the source of the noise. She slowed when she saw whose room it was. The lord, the same man whom she had met last night stood at the doorway, sword drawn. She hadn’t seen that before. She would have to look more carefully in the future. She said a quiet greeting, alerting him of her presence, which had gone undetected in the shadows. “Trouble?” She asked him, walking into his room at his invitation. A blue glass goblet was shattered on the floor, but other than that the room was perfectly neat. Taking in the large bed and spacey room, Tara knew this lord had much more money than her. At least, money that was with him. “Old friends” Kal said in answer to her question. She raised curved, dark eyebrows at his words, but said nothing. She knew very well of visits from ‘old friends’, and the pleasantries they brought. She heard Kal hiss through his teeth, and saw that he had cut his hand trying to pick up the near invisible bits of glass. Making a swift decision Tara said, “Here” motioning for him to back away as she lifted her hand with a whisper. The glass gathered into a clump and was neatly deposited into the chamber pot. The elf glanced at the man, humans couldn’t do magic, though they could use the things it made. Often they were unnerved when a magical deed was actually done in front of them. But Kal merely nodded at her, “Impressive” was him only word. “Obviously your friends decided to take their leave,” She told him, then bowed, “I shall go back to my quarters, to finish what I had hoped to be an undisturbed sleep. Try to keep future visits quieter, if possible” She added as she turned, her cloak swirling about her, and strode down the hall. His quiet chuckle followed her till she arrived at her room and shut the door, this time not even bothering to bolt it before she fell into the bed, thinking quietly. Something about the nobleman perked her curiosity, and not just in the normal way. Her senses picked up something strange around him, an air of secrecy and a strong purpose. Sighing, she closed her eyes. It didn't matter, and it didn't really concern her.
© Copyright 2008 Katherine (katherine456 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377647-Secrets-of-Two-Kingdoms