*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383354-Happy-Birthday-youre-a-demon
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Fantasy · #1383354
Madie's just your avg. girl, 1/4 demon, super strength, sex appeal, and awesome powers.
Happy Birthday…you’re part-demon!
          Yep, this was basically the conversation I had with my mother on the morning of my 15th birthday.  “Good morning Madie…I need to tell you something you are part-demon and we manifest our powers on our 15th birthday.  I just thought you might want to know.”  Well actually the conversation had a lot of yelling, laughing, crying, and the over-use of the word lunatic.  I’ll spare you my hormone (or possibly psychotic half-demon mother) driven theatrics.  Truth be told I am so glad she gave me a warning.  See the thing, is my mother took after her “human” side, no powers or abilities or whatever you want to call it.  My mom lived her life like everyone else.  She thought I would too since I was only a quarter demon, she was so wrong.  Damn recessive genes!
         At this point you probably need a demon history lesson.  Don’t worry I did too.  Okay first, demons are not inherently “evil” but, that doesn’t mean they are cute and cuddly either.  They are like people in that respect; some good, some bad, and most in between.  Second, they only possess people stupid enough to summon them.  They have no interest in controlling your body; they’re more the screw with your mind types.  Third, demons are not from hell. They live in a parallel world, (yeah I guess there are lots of them) granted it isn’t a tropical island.  Also, apparently they are becoming sterile so some of them interbreed with humans and live in our world.  Fourth, (well this is where things get complex) there are different species or classes of demons.  From lowly Imps to those of the Greater Class and plenty more in the middle.  Each demon class is based on that demons power.  For example a Greater Class demon is the most powerful of all but still amongst the Greater Class there are still sub-categories.  The demons are categorized by what their powers do.  The following are some examples accompanied by a short description.
         Incubus, a male demon with powers over humans and demons, that makes his touch irresistible but has to be reined in because they can literally love (sex) you to death.  Succubus female version of an Incubus.  Oh I forgot to mention they can change their appearance at will.  Warrior demons are in fact male warriors, they are kind of like the enforcers for the mob (or in this case royal family).  They are big, winged, deadly, and drop dead sexy! I think that is where they came up with the name “Greater Class”.  Anyway, we also have shape-shifters.  Shape-shifters are demons that can change from their original form to one other, i.e. humanoid to wolf-man and back. They can be either sex. Where do you think stories of were-wolves came from?  Then we have Changelings who can change from their original form to anything.  Also comes in either sex (think of mystic from x-men).  Sorcerer demons command powerful magic.  All powerful magic wielding demons become part of the royal family either by birth or marriage or really any way the royal family can get a hold of them.  The royal family’s job is to police naughty demons, and allow some demons into our world and keeping certain ones in theirs.  Needless, to say they are very busy.
         So that’s enough of the history lesson, back to the story about me.  On the day of my fifteenth birthday my mother and I had the “talk”.  I only wish it was about sex like everyone else.  She didn’t want to tell me but, she said she was afraid that if she didn’t and I got some sort of power I would think I was crazy.  A likely assumption, since until I felt my powers awaken I thought she was nuts.  Trust me I didn’t have to wait long, four hours after that conversation I was chillin’ with my best friend Nina in her room when I had a seizure.  Which freaked her out so she called my mom over to help (her parents weren’t home and thankfully she didn’t think to call an ambulance, that would have been hard to explain).  Of course, when I started glowing like the neon girls outside of a strip-club she realized this was no seizure.  So she was let in on our little secret (she took the news a lot better than I did, but then she has always been into fantasy).  She has been my best friend and my biggest supporter for the last eight years.
         That’s right I am now twenty three and have had eight years to cope with being a demon.  It hasn’t been easy; I have all kinds of stuff to control at all times. My mom wasn’t much help either, what she knew about demons was told to her by her human mother on her fifteenth birthday.  She never met her demon father, my grand-mother wanted a child and after 10 years of praying for one she was visited by an incubus demon who promised her a child, that she could pretend was from her husband.  The only requirement was the child had to be told her origins and some history on her fifteenth birthday.   
After my mother imparted what little knowledge she had Nina and I set out researching.  In the last eight years we have learned almost nothing.  It’s sad really, but even though I have no idea what kind of demon I am, I now have control over my powers.  At least to the point where I don’t glow like a neon sign whenever I’m stressed or even worse when I’m pissed.  I can move things with a thought, I am freakishly strong (that one was hardest to hide), and after my powers awoke, I am one hell of a hottie. 
Sorry I’m not bragging really, it’s just like the ugly duckling story.  Before my birthday, I was plain…well more like medium.  I had medium brown hair, brown eyes, a boyish figure, and well I was just medium.  After my awakening, holy hell! Thank goodness my birthday was during summer vacation.  My figure was instantly voluptuous, I was taller, and my hair went from mousy brown to dark brown (almost black) with red and chestnut, and gold, and amber highlights. It’s like the most expensive job from a salon, but natural.  My eyes went from flat brown to a triple ringed iris with the inner circle a emerald green, the next circle a honey brown, then ringed by a thin line of gray/blue slate. Not to mention that they glow we haven’t figured out how to make them stop, fortunately most people write it off as a trick of the light. My eyelashes are thick enough that people assume that I am wearing falsies all the time.  It great to be beautiful now, but sometimes I would rather be more inconspicuous.
Thank the gods that Nina is in the same boat I am.  She grew up in to a classic Italian beauty that turns heads everywhere we go.  Nina is almost as tall as I am, I am 5’9” and she is about 5’7”.  Her hair is black with a kiss of chocolate from the sun; of course she has enviously perfect olive skin and big dark eyes.  Sometimes it’s really helpful, but other times it is a hindrance.  Like the time we were seen sneaking out of a locked building (we were just researching honest) we are kind of memorable (thankfully they didn’t press charges).
You know what’s funny people look at us and think that we must have the best love life or the hottest boyfriends, but the sad truth is we are both still virgins and I’ve only dated two boys (neither one for long).  While Nina beats me with four boyfriends (one was even kind of serious) she has a phobia of the opposite sex.  I know it’s so strange, she is so intelligent, but put her around a guy no-matter their age and she becomes a bumbling idiot.  She hates being dumped in the pretty-not-smart stereotype, so she has sworn off dating of any sort.  I just think it’s too risky for me to date.  I found out once (the reason for the end of relationship #2) that when I am turned on…I lose control and start to glow.  #2 ran for the hills at that point.  So we are both anti-social, pathetic, virgins, but at least we can focus on what’s really important.  Like figuring out what the hell I am.
The one thing that would help us would be if we could find another demon and ask them a ton of questions.  In the last eight years I haven’t met one demon; I know that because I can sense people with a little demon DNA who don’t even realize it.  Once I sensed a huge demon presence, but it was gone before I could locate who it was coming from.  We tried physically searching for others, but not only is it exhausting, people start to think you’re crazy.  So just recently we decided to try technology.  Yes you guessed it, the internet!  I know it’s a stupid long shot but what else can I do.  So I’ve posted a blog about looking for a real life demon.  Well here is what it said.
Hi, 23 year old female part-demon,
Looking for others of her kind.
Been w/o guidance ever since my 15th b-day,
I have a lot of questions.
Please email me ….
         Yeah, well you get the point.  We had to open a new e-mail just for the responses to the blog.  Of course, so far all of them have been pretenders thinking I’m some kind of gothic lifestyler.  I left just enough of a hint that if a real demon comes across the blog, they will know I’m legit.  Nina made me put a photo up with the blog…I think there would have been less asinine responses, but she thinks that if another demon see it they could tell me what I am.
         So there you have it my life so far.  I just sit behind the counter in the new age bookstore Nina owns, and check e-mails all day long.  What I didn’t know was that was all about to change with the words you’ve got mail.  I clicked on the new message, and low and behold was a legit message…
Hi female demon, Byron here male demon.  I know you’re for real.  I too changed on my 15th birthday, now that you know that I am real. What would you like to know?
         
 
         
© Copyright 2008 Otaku1701 (jonnysgirl1701 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383354-Happy-Birthday-youre-a-demon