*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1400790-Fish-Out-Of-Water
by MLJ
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1400790
A story of a girl and her family
How was I ever going to become a part of this family? I stood and watched them for a few minutes before I stepped closer. My entire sixteen years of life I had had no idea they'd even existed, up until a few weeks ago that is. Now I was being forced to bond with them. Forced into a whole new life.
"Good morning Mel." Dan said noticing me as I drew closer to them.
Dan was supposed to be my Uncle, but he was a stranger, just like the other man who was now looking at me, who was supposed to be my Dad.
"It's Melanie." I said.
"Aren't you a little warm in that sweatshirt?" Ryan asked.
He was thirteen and Dan was his father. It was pretty humid out that morning, and why I had decided to wear my black sweatshirt to go fishing, I really didn't know. But it wasn't any of his business anyway.
"Why do you care?" I retorted.
He shrugged his shoulders and went back to his fishing pole.
"Do you want to see me fish?" Angelina asked sweetly as she looked up at me.
She was five, and she was probably the only one there that I wasn't afraid of. She was cute and I had always been good with little kids. She was also my sister.
"Sure, I'll be right over." I said smiling down at her. She went to go sit beside Ryan on the edge of the dock.
The man who was supposed to be my Dad came up beside me and put his hand on my shoulder.
"I'm glad you decided to come up here with us." he said.
"What choice did I have?" I asked angrily.
"I know it's been hard-" he began.
"You don't know anything about my life." I said cutting him off abrubtly.
Who was this guy? Why did he think he had a right to come into my life and turn it all upside down? I pulled off the hood of my sweatshirt, and looked him straight in the eye. I could see that my words had crushed him. I hadn't been making this easy on him.
I also saw something else in him. I saw myself. The same deep green eyes and dark brown hair.
I turned away and looked out into the water.
"This hasn't been easy on me either." he said after a moment of silence.
"Daddy, look!" Angelina cried happily.
Ryan had caught a fish and was trying to reel it in.
He smiled and went to join them on the edge of the dock.
I watched as this family, this family I wasn't a part of, gathered together and celebrated the first catch of the morning.



© Copyright 2008 MLJ (dreams1981 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1400790-Fish-Out-Of-Water