*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409431-Prologue
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1409431
The prologue to "Of Goblins and Thieves" a story that's been in progress for a while.
         The sweet sound of the flute echoed across the stadium as the last threads of the song faded into the night air. A flash lit up the faces of the spectators and a murmur ran through the crowd. As the light gradually faded, a smattering of applause grew in a roaring crescendo that was heard for miles away in a village tucked between the hills. This was the village of Gilam, and the event taking place was the yearly Assigning. Each December, the youth of the village who had reached the age of sixteen would perform for the spirits of the land a musical piece encompassing their life’s events. The strains of music would call from the Other side a spirit companion suited to accompany and serve the player. This event lasted for several days, with numerous feasts and celebrations for newly Assigned teens and their Guardians.
         It was now the second day of the Assigning, the next to last this year, and the ceremony was drawing to a close. The last participant had called their spirit and the crowd was leaving the stadium. Among them was a young girl, newly sixteen, who walked beside her brother, eagerly awaiting her turn, which would come at noon the following day. For Rowyn Naughina, this was one tradition that would change her life. Breath rising in plumes before her, she slowly made her way down the rocky path to the waiting village below.   
© Copyright 2008 Mike O'Hara (taroschain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1409431-Prologue