*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440098-Treasure
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1440098
One of my short stories/essays. Enjoy
         You know, finding treasure is really never an easy task.  It takes a lot of work and an almost never ending search, and then when you find that one precious piece of awe... you almost always have to share it.  That is where this story comes from. 

        It begins in a small town in Texas.  That is where I'm from.  Heck, that is where My WHOLE family is from, and man oh man do we love being from Texas.  Matter of fact, I could write a whole storey on the reasons why one should pick up everything one owns and just head on over to Texas, but That is another storey and not one that everyone would probably want to hear. 

          This storey is about me, my sister, and my very young 5 year old (at the time) brother.  My sister and I are unique.  We only ever call each other sister and it won’t be for sometime later that we realize that not everyone does that. However, we do not know that yet and so we that's what we call each other.  She's my sister and I'm her sister so there you go.  We also share the same birthday.  We're not twins but we are only one year apart.  Momma always said I was sister's birthday present.  I'm not so sure about that though.  Our baby brother is five days five years younger then us.  We dress him up like a girl and call him Curly Q.  Daddy doesn't like this at all.  When he's not dressed like a girl we call him Richard.  That's his real name.  Don't know why we never call him brother, but we just don't. 

          Today we are playing pirates and the search for buried treasure.  We've been outside in the sticky heat and after wading through mountains of sand we have come up empty handed.  Our mom has actually forced us outside because the new carpet is being put in and now they are finally done!  We are tired of the sticky heat and desperately want to be back inside.  My sister (her real name is Nakoa) is allowed to go through those beautiful air conditioned doors.  I am, however, stopped.  All at once my mother is guarding the entrance to the air conditioned heaven.  She is going to force me to pay a toll.  She holds out her hands and demands me to empty my pockets.  Begrudgingly, I pull forth a frog and a lizard.  I forgot they were in there.  They both are still alive but barely.  As the warden releases them back to the confines of the sticky heat I am allowed entrance to the air conditioned heaven.  Man oh Man is that a beautiful thing.  Then I notice Sister lying on her stomach.  She is looking into the new carpet. 

      I grab my sword, that is not really there, and demand that she explain herself at once.  She gets really excited and says she has found the treasure.  It was buried in the new carpet!  I could not believe my very own pirate ears.  I swoop to the floor with the grace of a real pirate and begin to feverishly pull apart the tiny pieces of carpet.  As I look closer I can see the emerald green that the carpet is attached too.  It's not real treasure but it will do.  It's amazing! 

      That's when out of no where comes the thudding of little feet.  It's curly Q!  He has comes running out of no where and before we can even get off the floor he is pouncing on us like some vicious cat!  The only way to protect the buried treasure is to tickle him.  We roll right, he rolls left.  All at once we have surrounded the intruder.  Our fake swords are drawn.  It's now or never.  Now it's our turn to pounce.  The tickling has begun!  We all laugh so hard that the tears stream from our eyes.  Once we have tamed Curly Q, we decide to make him our parrot.  It will do for now.

      There is a warning given.  Our pretend time is over.  The carpet becomes carpet again and Richard is once more our brother.  Our pirate swords vanish from sight.  We are now in the living room behind the couch getting ready to go in the kitchen to help with dinner.  It's ok though because we found the buried treasure and that is alright with us.
© Copyright 2008 Natalie (natalieg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440098-Treasure