*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469448-The-Wish
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1469448
A birthday wish that meant the world to Bobby.
The Wish



Write a story or poem about an eight year old's birthday party where an unexpected guest makes an appearance. What happens next?


“So, buddy, are you thinking real hard about what our wish is gonna be?”

“Oh, yes, Daddy!  I just have to get...”

“Uh, uh.  You know the rules.  Wait until you are blowing out your candles, and then make your wish.  Remember, it has to be a secret.  Wishes don’t come true if you tell them.”

Bobby sighed, knowing that what his father said was true; when you told your wish it never came true.  That really stunk!  Maybe if he kept wishing inside all day, it would work.  Yeah, that’s what he’d do.  Daddy said that their apartment was much too small for a dog, but he just knew it could work.  If birthday wishes really worked, then Bobby knew he’d get a dog, even if Daddy thought it couldn’t work.

All morning, Bobby was quiet, unlike his usual chattering self.  Daddy kept looking at him, looking worried, but Bobby couldn’t reassure him.  He had to concentrate on his wish.

Afternoon finally came, along with most of his friends.  The party progressed without Bobby participating much.  He was still wishing for all he was worth.  The games and treats held no interest for him right now.  All that mattered was his dog.  His dog; what a wonderful thought. 

The party continued, mostly unnoticed by Bobby, until his Dad appeared at the kitchen door holding a humongous cake in his hands.  It was time!  Bobby sat through about half of his ‘Happy Birthday’s to You,’ before he drew a deep breath and blew out all eight candles with one exhalation.  Success!  He would surely get his dog, now.  He’d done his part.

Bobby spent the rest of the party searching around the apartment.  By the time the party ended, he was in tears.  It hadn’t worked.  No dog.  What was the use of birthday wishes if they didn’t work? 

Bobby cried himself to sleep, unaware that his father stood outside the door, heart breaking for his son.  His father didn’t know what caused the tears, but he cared, and didn’t want him unhappy.

During the night, Bobby woke with a little tongue licking at his tear-stained cheeks.  His ecstatic cry woke his father, who rushed into the room, amazed at what he saw.  Bobby told his Dad that he’d decided to name him ‘Chester.’

“Thank you, thank you, Daddy!  I knew my wishing all day would work.  This is the best birthday ever!”

Joe walked away, totally confused as to how Chester had gotten into the apartment, and knowing that there was no way to get rid of it, now.  At the same time, Chester snuggled deeper into Bobby’s arms, smiling a doggy smile to himself.  A guardian angel has more than one form, after all.


456 words

© Copyright 2008 ShadowMouse (knitmouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469448-The-Wish