*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478620-A-Love-From-the-Past
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1478620
Charissa and Kevin knew each other back when. Now they meet again...
11.24.08                                                  10:16 p. m.

Prologue

Pain. Searing pain in his left thigh. Detective Kevin Manna woke up and realized that there was a man in his bedroom, aiming a gun at him. As he reached for his own gun on the nightstand, he was shot in the shoulder. The gunman laughed.

“Stupid asshole. Never,” he said then turned towards the door. “Oh yeah,” he turned and shot Kevin once more, this time in the stomach, “You’ll never get me.”

Pain was all that he felt, all that he knew.





11.27.08                                                  06:23 p. m.

He woke up three days later, lying in a hospital bed. He had been shot three times, once in his left thigh, once in his stomach and once in his right shoulder.

“Detective Manna! Good Evening! I’m glad to see you awake. I’m quite busy so I’ll make this quick. You will heal completely, no lasting damage. No physical therapy even. Wheelchair for two weeks, a crutch or a cane for three weeks after that, then you’ll be taking it easy, understand?”

“Yes ma’am,” he said to Emily Cavanaugh, his sister-in-law’s best friend. She was good friends with his family so he joked with her. She was an amazing doctor, too. “Dr. could you give me a date when I’m allowed to leave?”

“Tomorrow, after one.”

“Thanks, Em.”

“Anytime Kev. Everyone’s been worried.” That was an understatement. He was alone for an hour or two, but after that, he wasn’t alone until he went home.







12.22.08                                                  09:30 a. m.

         “Nadine, what’s the update on my teaching assistant?” Charissa Binder asked her secretary.

         “We got one! Starts the day after tomorrow. His name--,”

         “His? It’s a man?”

“Yes. His name is Kevin Manna. He used to work as a police officer. He’ll be here early tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks, Nay-nay.” She sat back in her chair trying not to let her mouth hang open. Kevin Manna was her new assistant… It was a Wednesday morning. Her first graders were on a field trip, and she was in her office, assuming her role as headmistress Binder. She had worked at this school for roughly two years. Binder Academy was the best thing in the entire little town. She was a first grade teacher and headmistress of the small private school. She was an exceptionally bright young woman.

“Charissa?” Nadine asked, sticking her head in the door. “Line two, conference call about Keith Manna.”

“Okay,” She’d discussed the mid-year assessment with many parents already. Mid-year was a night for parents to see how their child was progressing. “Headmistress Binder,” she said, picking up the phone.

“Headmistress, this is Kathy, Keith’s mom. Tony and I are busy tomorrow night. Could we send Tony’s brother to the mid-year instead?”

“Of course. What is his name?”

“Kevin Manna.”

“Do you know if that’s the same Kevin Manna that I just employed?”

“No, it can’t be. I’ll check. So he’ll be there tomorrow. Thank you.”

Charissa almost fell out of her chair. Her new assistant was Kevin Manna? The  Kevin Manna?







12.22.08                                                  03:27 p. m.

“What!?” Chief Koester didn’t look happy.

“I’m turning in my badge. I’m a danger to everyone. I’m going to fall back on my degree. I’m gonna teach.”

“You’re the best damn detective we have!”

“Had,” Kevin corrected, putting his badge and ID on the chief’s desk. He kept both of his guns because he was licensed to carry them and owned both. He turned and walked out of the room; out of the building.

He climbed into his dark blue Toyota and pulled away from the building. His cell phone rang. “Manna.”

“What are you doing?”

“Going out. Who is this?”

“It’s Eddy. Tony and I want to know why you’re quitting the force!” his brother said angrily.

“Did Koester spread the news that fast?”

“No. Tony and Kathy can’t go to Keith’s Mid-year, remember? You offered to fill in for them. Well, Kath is on the phone with the headmistress to tell her that you’re coming instead, and she’s told that you were just employed by Charissa Binder.”

“Stay out of it, Eddy,” he said to his brother then hung up the phone. Turning it off, he drove towards the academy.

____________________________________





“Nadine, give me a rundown on the rest of today, please,” Charissa called as she sat down behind her desk. As she waited for the answer to her question, she rubbed her temples, trying to fend off the oncoming migraine.

“It’s three thirty now. Most of the students have gone home. At four, you have a meeting with Mr. Manna about his employment here. From there, you are free to do what you wish.”

“Thank-you.”

“Here, take these, and drink all of this,” Nadine handed her a tall glass of water and three aspirin.

“Thank-you.” She did as she was told and put her head down on her desk. When she heard a knock at the door, she sat upright calling, “Come in!”

As he walked in, she couldn’t help but notice how good he looked. Tight, faded jeans hung low on his hips, and a form fitting t-shirt showed off taut biceps. He had a head of dark curly hair, that fell just above the chin line. His only visible fault was the walking cane.

“Mr. Manna, welcome to the Binder Academy,” she said cordially, standing up to greet him. “Would you care for a drink?”

“Kevin, please. Thank you for welcoming me, Headmistress. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a scotch on the rocks?” he grinned at her, she struggled to maintain a professional manner.

“Not at all. Call me Charissa. No one calls me headmistress, I hate it. Please, sit down.” She handed him his drink, and sat down opposite him in her large office chair with her own. “So what can I do for you, Kevin?”

“I just wanted to see you before the first day, get better acquainted, find out exactly what I’ll be doing, my hours, things of that nature.” Kevin shot her another killer grin.

“Well, your hours are every day, eight to four. You get Christmas Eve and Day off, along with New Year’s Eve and Day. Your daily routine will basically be teaching first graders. I teach the first graders normally, but I find I am being stretched too thin. So You will be filling in for me there, or teaching with me there. Anything I left out?” Charissa shot him a smile of her own.

“Nothing I can think of. I do have one more question, though,” he started to ask, paused then started again, “Do you know a place I could stay for a few days? My house isn’t ready yet.”

“Oh,” she thought for a moment, then told him the only option she could think of, “Actually, most of the hotels anywhere around here are damaged by the flood a few months back, or they’re unreasonably far away for everyday commute. If you’re okay with it, you are welcome to stay with me, I have plenty of extra room.”

“Well, that sounds lovely, thank you Charissa,” he smiled at her again, so she decided to escort him home now. She wasn’t sure how she would make it through living with this man for any length of time.

“How about I show you the way to the house so that you can get settled this evening?” Charissa slowly stood up. He did the same, so she started to walk towards the door. They grabbed their jackets, and she locked the doors behind her. They were the last to leave the school.

When they reached the pavement, she slipped on a patch of ice, bracing herself for the contact she closed her eyes… but the pain never came. Kevin had caught her before she smashed into the ground. “Thank-you,” she gasped, slightly breathless.

“Anytime. Where is your car?” Kevin looked, around and could only see his own small car.

“Oh, I got a ride this morning, I forgot. Would you mind driving me?”

“Of course not.” They got to his car and she directed him towards her home. “Wow!” he said as he pulled into her driveway fifteen minutes later.

“Oh,” she blushed scarlet and unbuckled herself. She got out of the car carefully, and pulled her keys out of her bag. “Let me show you to your room.”

____________________________________





Kevin tried not to stare at Charissa as she showed him around the enormous house. There were nine bedrooms in all, nine and a half bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, two living rooms, a breakfast room, a game room, her office, and a four car garage. But somehow, all of that couldn’t draw his attention aware from her. She was wearing a pencil skirt, with a corset top. She looked amazing.

“So, which bedroom would you like?” she asked when they made it back to the foyer. “Unfortunately for you,  you will have to share a bathroom with me, I am getting the molding and tiling redone tomorrow, so no one will be able to go into them.”

“Well, preferably a bedroom close to that bathroom then, walking isn’t really my strong suit right now,” for the first time, he gestured toward the cane.

“Oh, of course, how foolish of me! Right this way then,” She turned left and opened the second door on the left. She walked through and opened another door to the bathroom. “Okay, well, you know where everything is, I’ll let you get settled, if you need anything, just let me know, I’d be glad to help.” She walked to the door.

“Thanks, Riss,” Kevin said without thinking. She froze in the doorway. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. No one calls me that anymore,” she walked away. Kevin put his duffel bag on the bed and walked into the bathroom. He washed his face and got changed. When he started to feel lonely, he went to look for her so that he could apologize for his slip of the tongue earlier.

When he walked down the hall towards the kitchen, he heard her talking, he didn’t want to interrupt, so he avoided the sound of her voice and went into the living room, instead. There was a young girl sitting on the couch there. She looked up when Kevin walked into the room. Her face was tearstained.

“Hi, I’m Kevin,” he tried to smile a little, so that he didn’t scare her. She burst into tears, and hid her face in her hands.

“So, du kannst nicht zu Hause. Du bleibst hier für drei Tage. Ok, Gabi?” Charissa was speaking quickly, in another language, before she was back in the room. “Oh! Kevin, this is Gabi. Gabi, das ist Kevin, mein Fruend.”

“Oh!” Gabi looked, if possible, even more worried than before. “Dein Freund?”

“Nein! Zweifellos nicht! Englisch bitte? Es tut mir leid, Er spricht nicht Deutcsch,” Kevin stared in amazement. “I’m so sorry, Kevin. This is a student from school. Her name is Gabi. There was a little trouble at home today, so she came here. Her mother lives in Germany. That was German we were speaking. Her mother said that she cannot travel home right now, so she will be staying with me for three days.”

“Okay. You speak German?”

“Fluently,” she smiled, then turned to Gabi. “Introduce yourself, dear, you’re being rude.”

“I am sorry. I am Gabi Kaufmann. I am…” she looked unsure for a moment, “fifteen years of age. I wish to go home now.”

“Gabi, three days. Then you fly home.” They spent the next few minutes getting better acquainted. Kevin learned that she was an exchange student here from Germany for the year. She was staying with her father, but they had gotten into an argument, and she now wanted to go home.

After a few moments, Gabi asked to go to bed, she was exhausted. Charissa showed her to her room, then came back to the living room to sit with Kevin. “Sorry about all of this. It’s usually very calm and empty around here.”

“It’s fine, I like excitement.” He made himself comfortable on the couch while she curled up in an armchair. She had gotten changed from her work clothes and was now in comfortable looking sweatpants and a tank-top. “So, when did you learn German?”

“High school and college.”

“Why didn’t you ever say anything?”

“Didn’t seem like it mattered. Look, can we not do this right now? I have a distraught teenage girl in the house, and I need to make dinner, I’m starving,” she said, standing up.

He caught her arm as she tried to walk away. “I won’t talk about the past unless you want to. I didn’t mean it that way. I was just wondering how you never mentioned it. I am sorry, really.”

Her face softened from the anger that was there a moment beforehand, “It’s ok. Would you like to join me for dinner?”

“Sure,” Kevin answered with a grin.







12.23.08                                                  05:15 a. m.

Charissa jumped at the sound of her alarm-clock the next morning. After turning it off, she slid out of bed. Grabbing her robe, and her slippers, she walked out to the kitchen, peeking in on Gabi on her way. The girl was sound asleep.

Walking into the kitchen, she was surprised to see the light on, and the tea kettle on the stove. She had barely made it through dinner, without staring at Kevin. He was exceptionally good looking. The fact that they knew each other from when they were younger, was something they were going to have to ignore.

She quickly made herself a cup of tea and went into the breakfast room. She almost screamed when he was right in front of her. “Oh my god!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. Did I wake you?”

“No, my alarm did. Why are you up so early?”

“We have work, remember?” He followed her to the table and sat down across from her. “Actually I’ve been up for about an hour.”

“Oh, early bird,” she mumbled as she sipped her tea.

“May I ask a question?” he asked relaxing slightly in his chair.

“Go ahead.”

“How have you organized the books in your study? I hope you don’t mind, but I was interested in getting something to read, so I went in to grab a book, but I couldn’t figure out how you had them shelved.”

“They are by decade, then by my preference in that time period. Except one shelf, that has my all-time favorites on it.” They sat and talked about different novels for a few minutes until she had finished her tea. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to go get ready for work.”

“I probably should too. Am I driving you today? I don’t mind, and it saves gas.”

“That would be nice, thank-you,” she put her mug in the dishwasher, then went to her room. It was getting easier to be around him, not as awkward as it had been the day before. She got a quick shower, then went back to her room. When she was finally dressed and had her hair up in a bun, she went to wake Gabi.

“You don’t have to go to class, but you have to go to school. You can stay in the lounge all day, if you want to. Or the library, I don’t mind, but you cannot stay here, no supervision.”

“Scheiße.”

“Hey, language. I’m still the teacher here. Besides, at least at school you won’t be all alone.”

____________________________________





It was almost seven thirty when the three of them left the house. After getting Gabi settled, Charissa showed Kevin to the classroom. They sat in silence for a minute or two.

The only thought in Kevin’s mind was Charissa. She was more beautiful than ever, and he was attracted to her. He knew she was his boss, and that it was wrong to have feelings for her, but he couldn’t help it. He was thinking of a long time ago, when he never would have dreamt of being attracted to her… When she was just Riss, not Headmistress, and not Binder.

“Penny for your thoughts,” she was staring at him with an intense look on her face.

“You don’t want to hear my thoughts. Not very interesting. How about yours? What’s rolling around in your head this morning?” he asked smiling at her.

“Ah, not much, really. Excited about Christmas break. I could use a day off. I just need a little down time. But Mid-Year is right after break, so I don’t have much right now.”

“Oh. Well, what are your plans for tomorrow and Christmas? Going to your Dad’s?” he asked as politely as he knew how. He wasn’t trying to pry, but he needed to find out if he needed to find somewhere to stay for the holiday.

She looked stricken. “You don’t know, then? My father died. Two years ago. So it’s just me now. Mom’s gone, Dad’s gone. No siblings. So Christmas is usually a lonely event at my house, I don’t decorate. I don’t make a ham. I just act like it’s a day off. I don’t actually celebrate.”

“I am so sorry. I had no idea. I hope this doesn’t sound rude, but may I join you for your non-celebrating holiday? I don’t have anywhere to go until New Year’s. I hate to impose…”

“No, not at all, I have the room!” she looked thrilled. He wondered just how lonely she could be. “Only one condition, you drive me to and from school. Other than that, I don’t really go anywhere, but I will need a ride here.”

“Of course, I’d love to,” just then, kids started coming into the classroom, so Charissa assumed the role of Miss Charissa and introduced him to their students. For the rest of the day, they talked about nothing personal, much to Kevin’s displeasure.







12.23.08                                                  03:45 p. m.

Charissa waved goodbye as Gabi’s Grandmother drove out of the parking lot, with the young girl in the front seat. She had flown over that morning so that she could bring Gabi home with her. “Well, it’s just the two of us now. Break has officially started.”

Kevin smiled at her. “So what is your usual routine? Wait until everyone leaves, then walk home…and what?”

“Well, nothing. I work out sometimes. I eat dinner, I read, grade papers, fill out transcripts, write letters of recommendation. Things like that. Why do you ask?”

“Well, I wanted to take you out to dinner, I mean, you’re letting me live in your house for a week, it’s the least I could do,” he tried to look thankful. They gathered their things from her office, then walked out to his car as they talked. It was decided that they would go out for Chinese for dinner.

“I’ve got to change first. I hate my work clothes,” she laughed as he drove home. Home, he thought, I like the sound of that…

“Why is that? You look great,” he answered without thinking. “I mean… no, I uh--,”

“I understand, and thank-you, that’s sweet,” she laughed again. He liked her laugh a lot. “I prefer jeans and a sweatshirt to pencil skirts and blouses.

“Oh, so you’re one of those girls.”

“You’d be surprised.” When they pulled up to the house, it was raining. “Pull into the garage, the code is three-eight-eight-two.”

He entered the code on the keypad that was just outside his car window, and pulled into the garage. He looked over and saw a tarp over what looked like three or four mountain bikes. “What’s over there?”

“Oh, bikes. Let me go change, I’ll be quick. Are you changing too?”

“Yes, I will.”

It took them twenty minutes to get ready to leave. When they were back in the garage, before getting in the car, he saw a helmet hanging from the wall. A motorcycle helmet…

No! She can’t have a motorcycle… “Charissa? Why do you have a motorcycle helmet?”

She blushed scarlet again.

“You’ve got to be kidding me! What kind is it? Can I see?” Kevin was shocked. Charissa Reinhardt had a motorcycle.

“It’s a Harley Fat Boy,” she mumbled walking over to it. She pulled the tarp off and revealed the most beautiful bike Kevin had ever seen. She climbed onto the bike as he walked over towards her. She had never been more attractive to him, than right at that moment. “It’s amazing. The wind in my hair, the speed, so exhilarating.”

He was now standing right next to the bike, just behind her. Hoping, praying she wouldn’t get upset, he climbed on behind her. She had her hands on the handlebars, her hair pulled over one shoulder. He put his hands on her hips and gently kissed her neck. She leaned into him, so he continued for some time.

“Okay, stop,” she moved forward on the bike, then climbed off. She was flushed. “We can’t, this can’t--,”

“Okay. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that, it was inappropriate. Would you still like to go to dinner? I’ll understand if you don’t. I crossed a line.”

“No, no, of course I still want to go. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m very attracted to you, but since we work together, it wouldn’t be appropriate. You understand?”

“Yes, so, off to dinner!” Kevin slid into the driver’s seat, trying not to let how appalled he was show on his face. He had taken a huge chance just now, and it worked. She was attracted to him. But she was right, nothing could happen… It made him think of that trip so long ago, when they had first met…





*************************************************************************

They pulled up to the house, a car full of complaining teenage boys intent on having some fun on this vacation. “Remember boys, there will be another family here with us, they have a little girl. You are not allowed to be mean or tease her, okay?”

“Yes, Dad.”

They tumbled out of the car and the four older boys took off towards the ocean. The two youngest, the twins, Kevin and Eddy, stayed with their parents. Another car pulled into the driveway at that very moment and a little girl and her father stepped out. She was cute. Very young.

Kevin noticed that she did not look happy about being here. In fact, she looked pissed. Kevin was sixteen years old, and felt bad for the little girl.

“Kevin, Eddy, this is Rissa and Mr. Reinhardt, they are our guests for this week.”

Kevin walked over to the little girl and stooped down to her level. “Hi, I’m Kevin, how old are you?”

She rolled her eyes then said, “I’m seven. Why?”

Kevin was taken aback at how adult she sounded, he backed off slightly. He was intimidated by this seven-year-old girl.

**************************************************************************





Kevin slowly navigated the streets of the tiny town, reliving that day in his mind. He was going to relive the entire vacation, but Charissa was speaking.

“So where does your family live now? You have, what… six brothers?”

“Five. They’re all in and around here. Not far.”

“Oh, well, if you don’t mind my asking, why aren’t you spending Christmas with them?”

“Too much of a hassle. They’re still worried about me,” he said staring ahead, refusing to look at her. “I was shot. Three times, that’s why I quit the force, I can’t move as quickly as most people now, so I’m dangerous. That’s why I work for you now.”

“Oh!” Charissa looked so stricken, he had to try not to laugh.

“Please, don’t look like, that I’m fine, really,” they made polite conversation all through dinner and the way home.

When the got to the house, Charissa asked if he’d like a drink, since they didn’t have work the next day. “Sure. That sounds nice.”

“Have anything you want I have a full drink cart. I’m gonna go get changed, I’ll be right back,” she flounced out of the room. He poured himself a scotch, and sat down, staring at the fire. He was lost in thoughts of the past when she came back in the room. She looked tired. Charissa had changed into tight sweatpants and a small t-shirt.

He saw her hair down around her shoulders. It reached past her waist…almost to her knees!

“Wow.”

“What?” she looked worried. She looked at his leg then back to his face. “Are you all right?”

“Yes, yes I’m fine. Your hair is beautiful. I didn’t realize how long it was before. I’m sorry I startled you,” he said, staring at her eyes. She blushed profusely, then thanked him.

“Well, how would you like to spend your evening? We don’t have to get up early tomorrow…” she asked as she sat on the couch next to him, but not close to him.

“We could just talk,” he suggested, not trying to upset her.

“About college?”

“Yeah.”

“Look, Kevin, you were a senior in college, and I was on my way to being a freshman in high school. You were old to me. I don’t know how to explain it..”

“Riss, we had known each other for nearly five years, we were friends, I drove you and your damned little friends around town all the time. Then one day you call me drunk and ask me to come get you, I do and you’re standing at the side of the road, clothes torn, and crying. You wouldn’t tell me what happened, what was I supposed to do?”























I need feedback !!!!! Should I keep writing? Please, any criticisms are welcome, as are compliments. Feel free to speak your mind, I won't be offended.
© Copyright 2008 Brittany (readinghere at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478620-A-Love-From-the-Past