*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489955-The-House
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1489955
For a 2008 Short Shots Contest - updated 2009.
As soon as I saw the house, I knew it was the place for us.  It sat far back from the road surrounded by wide open space.  It was grand, if a bit run down and lonely.  There wasn't a neighbor for miles, something our place in the city didn't offer.  The real estate agent told us it was an old farm and the gentleman who owned it thought it was time to move on.  I didn't care much about the history, I just knew it was the right place for us and I wanted it.

I loved the place, but it was in bad shape.  We were looking for a fixer up, a place we could put our mark on, and this was it.  Yes, the floors creaked and the windows needed replacing but it was all part of the bigger package.  Who couldn't love a big farm house?  I pictured the kids running around the yard and picnics in the fields.  I was ready for this new life.

That first night we camped in the living room amid the boxes and packing material.  The moving van hadn't arrived so there were no beds.  We were exhausted from the move and the long drive.  Cal and I spread out blankets and pillows and we, along with the kids, sprawled out on the floor in the front room.

"Nice, isn't it?" asked Cal.

"What's that?"

"The quiet.  The kids have been screaming all day, fighting over rooms, boxes, whatever.  They're finally quiet."

I smiled at him.  "I can't believe we're here.  Ever since the day we saw this place I've been antsy to get back.  I feel so at home here, as if we're meant to be here.  Like the place had been waiting for us."

"It does feel like home doesn't it?"

"Yes, it really does."  I fell asleep that night to the sound of crickets lulling me softly to sleep.

It was the footsteps that woke me.  I thought one of the kids had gotten up to use the bathroom.  I waited.  It was a new house and it would take them time to get used to the place and they were as excited as I was.  Then I heard the front door creak open and the screen door slam against the frame. 

I jumped to me feet, looking around, I saw the kids were all sleeping.  I was scared.  Someone was in the house while we were sleeping.  I stood frozen not knowing what to do.  I nudged Cal with my foot.  "Wake up."

"What is it?"

"I think someone was in the house."

"What?"

"I think someone was in the house.  I heard the front door open and the screen door slam.  I thought it was one of the kids but..."  I motioned over to the three sleeping bodies on the floor.

Cal was on his feet pulling on his shoes.  "Stay here."

"Where are you going?"

"To see who it was.  It's probably just kids.  The place was empty for a while and they probably didn't know it was sold."

I watched him through the window looking around the front yard and our cars for signs that someone had been there.  He came back in and smiled at me.

"I think it was probably your imagination.  There are no footprints or anything else out there.  Even the front door was locked.  I looked around and nothing is out of place.  You're tired, I'm tired.  I sure it's just our minds playing tricks on us."

I reluctantly agreed and snuggled down next to him, telling myself over and over it was nothing but my imagination.

I was the first one up and decided to get a head start on the kitchen while everyone was still asleep.  It was then that I heard the footsteps again.  They were coming from upstairs.  Someone pacing slowly.  It's nothing I told myself.  Residual city living effect.  I was so used to people walking above me that my mind still wanted to hear it.  I laughed and tried to shake it off.  A few minutes later I heard it again.

"It's probably Cal," I murmured trying to shake off the odd feeling.  I walked back to the living room to find Cal and the three kids fast asleep.  I took a deep breath, convinced it was most likely a squirrel, and headed up the stairs.

I walked up the steps slowly, not wanting to scare whatever was there, sure it was just an animal.  I reached the top of the stairs and stopped.  Maybe I should wake Cal?  No, it was nothing.  We're living in the country now, things like this are going to happen.  Raccoons, squirrels, you name we're going to have it.  I shook my head trying to push the fear out and bounded up the last two steps.  I rounded the corner only to be stopped dead in my tracks.  There was a woman standing in the hallway.

I stood there for what seemed like minutes staring at her.  She didn't move or make any attempt to run.  "Who are you?"  I asked, my voice cracking.

She tilted her head to the side and took a step toward me.  I felt an immense cold.  I wanted to run, to scream, to do anything.  I all could do was stand there and stare at her.

"Jules, are you all right?"

I turned to see Cal staring at me. 

"Did you see her?"

"See who?"

"The woman.  She was standing right in front of me."

He shook his head looking at me with wide eyes.  "Honey, I didn't see anyone."

I rubbed my arms trying to rid myself of the intense cold feeling.  "I heard footsteps again, like last night only this time they were coming from up here.  I thought it was probably an animal and came to look around.  I remembered the real estate agent telling us the house had been empty for a few months so I figured something found its way in and was scared and trying to get out."  I took a deep breath to steady myself.  "When I got to the top of the steps I saw a woman standing here.  She was in her 50s.  Her hair was pulled back in a tight bun.  She was wearing a dress and an apron, with little flowers on it."

Cal grabbed my hand and led me down the stairs and into the kitchen.  The kids were still asleep and he obviously preferred it to stay that way for the moment.  He spoke in hushed tones and looked worried. 

"Are you okay?  I mean, well, I'm not sure what I mean.”  He rubbed his hands over his face.  “There was no one there.  You were the only one up stairs and, last night, I think...  Let's be rational.  We're both just tired and anxious about the move.  There's a lot going on for us."

I shook my head in agreement.  I wanted him to stop talking, to stop trying to rationalizing what I had seen.  I know she was there.  I wasn't imagining things.  I didn't want him to convince me otherwise.  I could feel my face getting red and my eyes stung.  I blinked trying to hold back a flood of emotion and not entirely sure where it was coming from.

"I bet it's just the excitement.  We were all so eager to get here and let's face it, the move has been anything but smooth.  Here we are sleeping on the floor waiting for furniture to arrive, in a new place, all of us exhausted both mentally and physically."  He smiled at me which I gratefully returned feeling my anger starting to fade.  "Let's get the kids up and go into town for breakfast.  We have a lot to do before the van arrives and it will do us all some good to just refuel."

"You're right.  I could use some breakfast.  Let's get the kids up."  I was happy for the distraction.

We found a small restaurant and with the kids arguing over who could eat more pancakes, we told the waitress we were new in town.

"Oh, you must be the folks who bought the old Cummings farm on the edge of town?"

"Yes, that's us," I piped up, suddenly remembering how excited I was about the house.  All of my feelings from the morning were gone.

"Well, just watch your selves.  I heard some strange things about that place," she said.

"Like what?" I inquired, seeing the strain on Cal's face as I asked.

"Oh, you know, nothing important.  I'll be right back with your juice and coffee."  She turned quickly and was gone.

I looked at Cal who shook his head casually but a bit warily.  "Probably nothing." 

I wanted to continue the conversation but no one seemed interested but me.  I let it drop.

The following weeks flew by.  We spent time painting, replacing windows, loose floorboards; you name we did it.  I knew the house was in need of a lot of work but somehow I never imagined it would be this much.  I had to admit though, I was happy doing the work.  It felt as if we were really making this place our own and I was glad to see all of it coming together.

Even with the busy schedule I was keeping, I couldn't keep my mind off of her.  I wanted to see her again, to ask her questions, to make sure I wasn't imaging things.  Somehow, sanity became my driving force.

One night while sitting on the back porch watching the kids play, I heard the footsteps again.  I looked over my shoulder into the house.

"What?" asked Cal.

"Oh, nothing, just...nothing."

I had a strange sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I got up and excused myself.  As soon as I was in the house the footsteps stopped but I felt as if someone was there watching me.  The hair on my arms stood up.  I felt cold, very cold.

I moved to the front door and looked out over the yard.  I was having trouble containing my feelings and sadness enveloped me.  I saw her then, moving slowly, almost gliding, across the yard.  I could see her so clearly, every feature, every fold in her clothes.

Before I knew what I was doing I was on the porch.  She looked at me over her shoulder and stared.  I felt as if someone was pulling me forward.  I wanted to run to her, ask her who she was, what she was doing but I was frozen in place.  I wanted to tell her to leave, that this was my place now but I couldn't.

I stood on the porch feeling so protective that I thought I would burst with rage.  I was not scared of her but suddenly I wanted her gone and out of this place.

The next day I took the kids to register for school and decided that while we were in town, I'd make a stop at the town hall to get the records on our house.  Curiosity, I told myself and nothing more.  I had recovered from the previous afternoon and was now feeling bold.  I wanted her to leave and if I knew more, I felt I would be able to finally have my house to myself.

The county clerk, after hearing I was the new owner of the old Cummings farm, offered to make a few copies for me which I gladly waited for. 

That night I showed the envelope to Cal who asked, "What are you hoping to find?"

I shook my head.  I didn't know but something was calling me to find out.

I put the envelope on the desk and left it there.

A few days later I found it again, sitting on the desk right where I had left it.  I held in it my hands for a minute.  It seemed rather thick to just be a few property documents.  I took it with me into the kitchen, and dropped it on the table.  I busied myself with brewing tea trying to sort out my feelings. 

When I opened the envelope I was surprised to find not only some general property documents but news clips about Mrs. Sally Cummings.  She had been found dead on the property by her son.  The car which she had been driving had crashed into the old tree that marked the driveway at the edge of our property.  According to the police she lost control, hit the tree, and died on impact.  However, it was the note that was stuck to the back of the clip that shocked me.  It was a handwritten note that said, "She was found hanging from the tree.  She didn't die in an accident.  It was a cover-up to protect the family.  She will never leave that property, something her husband told her when she tried to leave him.  She has yet to find her way out."

I left the note on the table and walked out to the front porch to look at the tree that marked our driveway.  Standing there, looking out past the road was Sally Cummings.  Her dress blowing in the breeze.  She turned to look at me.  I took a hesitant step off the porch and soon found myself running to her hoping she would stay just long enough for me to ask her what she wanted.

Out of breath I reached her.  “Why are you here?  What do you want?” I huffed at her.

Cold swirled around me as she met my eyes.  Her lips moved but no sound emerged but I knew what she said.  It echoed in my head, “No where to go.”
© Copyright 2008 dc-musing (amybethe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489955-The-House