*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499506-The-Pier
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1499506
If you don't love the boy who loves you, is it better to stay or let them go?
The Pier

By ***Silver Stars***






"You sure?" Chloe asked, intertwining her fingers with his.

"Absolutely," Carlos smiled and kissed her nose. "I love you, you know." He added quickly.

Chloe took a step back, dropping his hand. Her heart beating fast.

"You don't have to say it." Carlos assured her, taking a tentative step forward. "I know how you feel about those words..." Chloe didn't respond.

"I'm sorry..." Carlos said. "I didn't mean to act so...fast." Chloe closed her eyes. Here was a boy who loved her, who apologized because she was acting like a bitch. And she didn't care. She felt nothing. No guilt, no love.

"It's okay..." Chloe said firmly. "I love you too."

Liar, said the voice in her head. You're a liar, Chloe Crest. Carlos stared blankly at her for a moment, surprised. Then he broke into a huge grin.

"Chloe..." Carlos began, but then shook his head and smiled stupidly some more. "You know what? Let's do it." He threw his head back and laughed. "We are so going to get caught." Chloe wished she could feel the care-free feeling Carlos was having. She wished making his happy made her happy. But it didn't.

Carlos stretched and then began to pull off his shirt. As he struggled to get it over his head, Chloe turned to look at the murky depths of the water below.

Why are you doing this? You don't love him. You don't care at all. You're just playing him. This is all a game for you, no romantic or any feelings involved. You won't get hurt. Chloe closed her eyes again and breathed in the cool, rainy summer air. But he will.

Chloe turned to Carlos, he almost had the shirt off. She stared down at her own plain T-shirt. Could she take it off in front of him? Did she even care? She already knew the answer...

She pulled off her top much more swiftly then Carlos had. With a final tug, Carlos yanked off his shirt and straightened up, blushing, embarrassed.

"Sorry..." He trailed off, staring. His gaze was making her uncomfortable. Chloe wrapped her arms around herself tightly. He cleared his throat and tried again. "You look beautiful."

He deserves better.

"Thank you."

They both looked away, embarrassed, but for different reasons.

The wind blew making Chloe's long hair whip around and she shivered. She was only in a bra and jeans and it was a windy and cool summer day.

"You ready?" Carlos grabbed her hand, squeezing slightly.

He loves you, Chloe, you don't...

"Yeah," Chloe agreed softly. "On three. One. Two. Three." They jumped off the edge of the pier.

You're only making it worse...

The water met them with a splash below.

You have to make a choice...

In the water, still shivering, Chloe turned to Carlos. They were still holding hands.

"I'm sorry, Carlos..." She said quietly, the wind was getting stronger, he could barely hear her.

"For what?" He asked.

"For everything." Chloe responded, then she turned and swam away, the wind blowing harder than it had all morning and Carlos, bobbing in the water, watched her go.
© Copyright 2008 Silver Stars (countessami at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499506-The-Pier