*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515740-MA3--Infinity
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1515740
Marty Kirra experiences the Afterlife. But is it his sanctuary or his personal Hell?
A single breath annotates the beginning of one's life. In this same way, life ends. A short gasp of breath, then a cool, blissful peace. Most of us aren't aware of what happens when we transpire to the other side. Modern day religion tells us that we are greeted with either an eternity of light or one of darkness. Me? That's not particularly what I believe. I believe that we're greeted with a world just like ours; one that has no conflicts and one devoid of hatred. Why do I believe this? Because for three months, I lived there.


Shades of light hues dotted the Earth: Mustang City had looked the same as I knew it to look. Same corner stores, same streets. Everything had a cleaner appearance. But sometimes, I felt as if this eternity that I was seemingly left with was my own personal hell. The streets were empty, and I was alone. There was no conflict here, because there were no people present to create conflict. Not only that, but the fact that I had half-expected to see my brother Hunter again didn't help either.


For three, cold months I stayed in this afterlife. Not a single encounter with another, living, breathing human. But in a way, this was my personal haven. Although the lack of another person to talk to was a major negative drawback to this place, the fact that I was free...finally free, overwrote any negatives that this place had. The solitude that I had to myself was what I had wanted for so long, even if it was somewhat lame having no one with you. But yelling at the world, and having nobody yell back...it's a feeling I can't describe.


I experimented a lot with this place, which I nicknamed, "Zero". Zero's stores seemed to be replenished everyday. My body was in peak-physical condition, and my sensitivity to pain was extremely lowered. In Zero, it seemed that the laws of physics didn't really apply. I couldn't exactly fly, but I could jump far enough. Any wounds I received were cured in a split-second. I couldn't die here, which was amazing in itself. Anything I wanted to do in Zero I could do. My fear of drowning, heights; everything seemingly faded away when none of those things could hurt me anymore. But then one day, I fell asleep, and woke up in a world all too familiar to me: the real world.


All in all, I'm still not sure what exactly brought me back to the land of the living. I awoke and I felt so heavy, the familiar restricting weight of gravity. The wounds that had killed me hurt like hell, which was a somewhat inviting feeling after not experiencing pain for three months. I saw the pale faces surrounding me, shadowed with the hoods they were wearing. Blood was seared all over my body and I could tell that previously to this, I had been dead for quite some time. The feel of actually being alive again, looking back on it, sucked.


A hooded figure approached me and laughed, in a deep, sinister voice, finally spoke.


"Welcome back Marty Kirra. Had a nice nap?"


© Copyright 2009 Marty Kirra (martykirra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515740-MA3--Infinity