*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1526881-Bloodline
Rated: · Other · Other · #1526881
Hannah gets a surprise of a lifetime when Buck asks her to do something for him.
Hannah turned on to the dirt road that led to the the family farm. Starlight Thoroughbred Farm was family owned and operated, created by Buck Arlen. Hannah always had to smile when she thought of her great grandfather Buck. The last time she spoke with her great grandfather, he was preparing Starlight Sensation for the Kentucky Derby. He was a thin, wiry man with soft grey eyes, steady hands and gentle words. He had a very odd understanding horses. He seemed to be able to tell at a glance if a horse had potential. His first mare Starlight Vibrance was a mare with not so stunning bloodlines, but Buck always told her there was something in her eyes when he looked at her that told him she'd turn out great. He bought her for a measly $1500 and turned her into a storybook success. She won over a million dollars and took the coveted Breeders cup. Overnight people pored over her bloodlines trying to find the secret to her outstanding speed and endurance. It was never explained away, just marked as a once- in a lifetime miracle horse. Buck did it again one year later with a colt this time, Fantastic Sam. With the money from both Sam and Starlight, he bought the land and oversaw construction of everything from the stables to the house. He had trainers, jockeys, and breeding specialists calling him, wanting his opinion on this or that. Buck never could say eloquently what made him chose a horse for breeding or purchase.

Buck married his high school girlfriend, who had gotten a degree in animal husbandry and sciences. They had six children; Joanna, Marlene, Buck Jr, Ben, Jamie, and Megan. All of them worked the farm while they were young, and left as soon as they could. It seemed none of his children had the knack for horses that he had. When his grandchildren were born, Buck made sure to be there for every one of them. A few of his grandchildren loved horses, but lacked the knack. They stayed on the ranch to help out out of love.

Hannah parked the car and turned the engine off. She was the youngest of three children, and the spitting image of her grandfather, only more feminine of features and sharper of temper. She had the knack. She didn't know it when she was little though. Buck would take her through the barn and ask her what she saw. Like a child she answered honestly. When he asked her which should be mommy and daddy, Hannah picked out two that really stood out in her mind. Buck simply nodded and left the barn. He bred those two and named the filly Hannah's Wish. She was another of Buck's successes. He took charge of Hannah's education then. He paid for her college tuition, any summer camp or extra training she wanted when school was not in session. Hannah told her parents that she won scholarships simply because of the way the family viewed Buck. They saw an aged man on his deathbed with a will to a Farm worth millions. The horses alone were a treasure. Hannah knew if her parents knew that he was taking an active interest in her, that they'd push her and her siblings to endear themselves to Buck. Hannah needed no prompting, she loved Buck very much, and not because of his money. Because they shared something in common. That special little thing, that "spark" that told them what a fantastic horse was. Buck was getting older and slower, but he always had the same vitality of a man many years younger than himself.

Hannah got out of her car slowly and looked to the house. Buck wouldn't be in there. He stopped resting in the house when Great Gramma Fran passed on. Turning, she walked to the stallion barn. She knew there was an office in there with a cot, and if Buck was around, he'd be in there. Entering the barn, all of the smells made her feel right at home as she strode over to the office and rapped lightly on the door.

"Come in, Hannah" Came the soft reply. Hannah opened the door, and there was Buck. He looked like he hadn't aged very much, a few more wrinkles, a little less hair, but the same old Buck. Hannah smiled as she walked all the way in and hugged him.

"I missed you so much, Buck," Hannah said. "I graduate in two months with a full degree in Animal Sciences and Animal Husbandry. I also have done foal watch at a nearby stable, and I drew up that breeding chart for those horses you sent me. I hope I chose wisely."

"You never choose wrong Hannah. We never do. I want to talk to you about something serious. Please close the door." Buck said gently, watching his great-granddaughter with pride. The only one that gave selflessly and never asked for anything in return. And she had his "Gift". Hannah closed the door and sat down in the chair opposite his. "Hannah, I have lived a long time. Long enough to see my family grow up and have their own. All of them have been successful with what they decided to do. But you and I, we are the same. Our gift comes from an ancient line. I have traced our ancestry back as far as anyone could have dared to. And I have found in several generations the same "gift" it applies itself in different ways. I believe we all have this hidden potential, but most live in fear of being different, of being singled out. Don't you find it amazing that in something as risky as horse racing that I have had so much success? Every year I choose 5 horses from completely unknown parents and I train them and they win. They say it is my experience with the field. But I knew all those years ago when you stood in my barn and told me which horses to breed that it wasn't experience alone. Something prodded us. I never did discover the source of this gift or how far it can go. But as you can see, it has given me a very long satisfying life. My only regret is that Frannie went before me. Hannah, I am sure by now you know I intend to leave Starlight Farm to you. But there is one other thing I must ask of you." He reaches across her desk and holds her hand in his. Hannah is stunned by his very intimate revelation. Buck had never talked about death before or event he possibility of it. His mentioning of it now must mean his time must be coming close.

"What must I do?" Hannah asked.

"I need you to strengthen this gift. Cultivate it, see where it leads." Buck takes a breath, this would be the hard part. "I found a young man who's bloodline is much like ours. He has the gift as well. I want you to marry this man Hannah. I think if you two come together, it will strengthen the gift and it will pass down." Buck pauses to take a drink of water, and to see Hannah's reaction.

"Marry a stranger? Buck, what if he doesn't like me, what if I don't like him? Will I not get the farm if I don't marry him?" Hannah asked, looking at Buck in surprise. Marriage! To a complete stranger even. it was very odd indeed for Buck.

"Hannah, I am sure you will like each other. He said as much to me when I spoke with him. But he is gifted. He is in the house.. And whether you decide to marry him or not, you will still get the farm. I am asking you to marry him for me. Prove me right. Track the bloodline. You'll see, like I did. You always did believe in magic and fairy tales Hannah." Buck sat back and waited for her answer.

"Well, I should at least meet him to see if we would do well together. I love you Buck. You ask the weirdest things of me, but I still love you." Hannah stood up and opened the door, and Buck followed her to the house. Hannah was trying not to let feelings of doubt invade, but this was a new and unexpected move for Buck.
© Copyright 2009 Skyaire (chrysanthys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1526881-Bloodline