*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1554424-Summertime-Blues
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1554424
Story for contest
Mr. Belvedere threw my yellow backpack into the pile with the others. The boy wearing the civil war hat pushed the bag toward me while extending his hand. “The name's Webster. Me and the boys were wondering why you are here? You don't seem the type for a summer backpack tour of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.” “I most certainly am not the type. I was given the choice between this or three months probation by the night court .” Pulling the heavy pack into place I made my escape to the back of the group who had gathered around the covered wagon holding the meager supplies.

Just shoot me now I thought after seeing the freaks and geeks that would be my travel companions for the next two weeks. One day at a time is what my mother told me, but I'm not going to make it one hour in these conditions. I just wish some of my friends were here. At least I can look forward to being grounded for life when I get home. I pleaded with my mom to gimme a break but she just said this trip was my last resort .

Loud cheers and shouts turned my attention to the kids taking off their shoes. Webster informed me we were going to play barefoot in the park . What if there are snakes hiding in the weeds ? I ran to a big pine tree and sat in the evening shade while all the freaks ran amok endangering their piggies. The facts of life are me and these perfect strangers are living in a different world . This will be the longest two weeks of my so called Llfe .
© Copyright 2009 TyroScribe (jamiegavitt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1554424-Summertime-Blues