*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559864-The-Characteristics-of-Happy-People
Rated: E · Assignment · Philosophy · #1559864
Summary on happiness
Summary: “Characteristics of Happy People”


The section of Billy Wilson’s essay entitled, “Characteristics of Happy People,” examines specific characteristics that many happy people have in common. He offers an explanation as to why each one of these produces happiness. Although these characteristics can be found in many happy people, Wilson suggests there is no "real formula" for happiness, nor must we possess each one in order to be content. These characteristics can be categorized into the following concepts: relationships, philosophy, and proportional life-styles.

According to Wilson, our attitude and relation to others can have a positive effect on our level of happiness. He states that our relationships must share equal amounts of offering and sacrifice. Charitable acts of benevolence are vital ingredients to successful relationships and, overall, lead to a feeling of happiness. One must also be humble and allow others to return the same type of charity. This suggests that if we are not practicing reciprocal love with others, we may be left to feel incomplete, which can result in unhappiness. Our relationships must be solid and accommodating, regardless of social or personal involvement.

Philosophy is another strong link to happiness. Maintaining a positive attitude can aid us in handling stressful situations, and can contribute highly to our success and achievements in life. Our personal beliefs, including a strong system of ethics, can be used as a tool in overcoming trials and suffering. Wilson proposes, those who are guided by these principles of belief, will gain insight to the meaning of life and reason for existence. It can be very difficult to find contentment without this understanding.

Finally, establishing a proportional life-style can contribute significantly to our happiness. Wilson emphasizes a need to take full charge of our lives, which can result in finding independence and freedom. This freedom gives us the ability to make our own decisions and to determine the way we spend our time. Most happy people are masters at spending their time equally between business and pleasure. People can drastically reduce their worries and gain self sufficiency by properly organizing and prioritizing their time. We must also be able to recognize our strengths and talents, along with our weaknesses, to obtain a well-balanced life. Obtaining happiness requires developing these talents, while continuing to seek out growth in new areas.

These qualities found within the categories of relationships, philosophy, and proportional life-styles, can be practiced and learned over a lifetime. Whether we obtain one or all of these characteristics, we will still reflect a certain amount of contentment. As Wilson proposes, happiness is a wonderful commodity, and everyone has the opportunity to pursue it.


© Copyright 2009 River McKenna (rivermckenna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559864-The-Characteristics-of-Happy-People