*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561866-Chapter-0-Its-always-something
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1561866
A sample story of Project: Railgun, a story of a boy with electromagnetic powers.
May 25, 2009

It’s always something. A problem always creates another problem. Okay, maybe it wouldn’t have to be my problem if I didn’t show up. He thought as he ran. Just once I’d like to see how everyone else does it. Just live a normal life; not have to deal with ‘Oh no Zero broke out of Jail!’ or ‘Rescue my cat!’ or ‘Can you fix my garbage disposal?’ He shook his head as he jumped and made a decent landing. He kept running. Okay, maybe that last one I’ve never been asked. But still.

Another jump and he was right on target, but there was one small problem: there was a huge gap between the buildings and it was a good six, seven stories down. I really need to bug Caleb about designing some kind of rocket shoes or something. With a burst of speed, he lunged at the next rooftop. It wasn’t until three quarters of the way over that he realized he wasn’t going to make it. Not unless he gave a little bit of a “kick” to his shoes. He heard a small jolt and quickly levitated his way over to the ledge. Then again, who needs rocket shoes? He landed with a barrel roll and kept on running. One more building and he would crash in through the ceiling, levitate their guns out of their hands, smack them silly, do a line about how henchmen are useless, then duke it out with whoever the bad guy is. Which one this time? Doubting Pride. Well, doubting and hoping it’s not Pride. Zero’s still in lockdown. Golem?

He stopped before jumping over the edge of the building and looked down. It was a three story fall. Four once he went through the skylight. …Did I seriously just consider Golem? He closed his eyes as he jumped. Six metal pellets flew out of his pocket and went through the skylight, breaking it. Four seconds later, he made a hard landing on the floor, softening the landing with his levitation. He quickly sent any metal object fly at the walls. Unfortunately, all he did was send a bunch of computers fly at a hundred miles an hour and break. A fat man in a small, stained tank top and ripped sweat pants looked smugly at him. Great.

“Of all the guys I go up against, I get the one who gets winded just by watching someone run.” He sighed. “Let’s just get this over with. I’ve got a reputation to think of here.”

“Heh. Always with the fat jokes, Railgun.” The fat man said as he ran towards Railgun, who launched himself backwards through his gloves. The human magnet took control of a lamp and used it to try and the fat man, but it was of no use.

“Your power is incredibly annoying.” Railgun said as he lifted a computer tower high into the air above the fat man. As the human magnet went in for a punch, the man grabbed him. He could feel the strength sap out of him, which was exactly what he wanted. He lost control of the floating tower, which promptly knocked the man out.

Not the most efficient way of dealing with your problem, Tommy. He could hear the police sirens through the skylight. A quick jump and levitate let him out the way he came in. He jumped over to the next building. Railgun looked at his watch. Now to deal with a bigger problem. His cell phone rang. It was Rebecca.

“Um, hey Rebecca.” Railgun said.

“Tell me it was Spring or Zero. I’ll even accept Golem. But if you tell me you ditched our movie night for Discharge, I’m going to kill you.” Rebecca said.

“Okay, I didn’t ditch our movie night to fight Discharge.” Railgun lied. Rebecca sighed.

“Just get back home.” She said as she hung up. Railgun sighed as he started to run home.

Yup. He thought as he jumped to another building. Sometimes, I just wonder what it would be like to be normal. As he jumped again, he headed towards the river and levitated right above it.

Bah. Normal’s nowhere near as fun as this.
© Copyright 2009 Tyler V (rextly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561866-Chapter-0-Its-always-something