*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564217-The-Pain
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1564217
of a boy, dealing with a series of headaches that won't go away.
October 13, Friday
         He dropped to his knees in front of the horrific sight. “Why?” He asked, almost screaming at the top of his lungs. “Why would you do something like this?” He didn't understand, he couldn't imagine the pain that pulsed through my head, the pain that had been tormenting me for the past week. If only he knew, or if only I had did something about it, but I'm just a fool.

October 8, Sunday
         I felt the evening air as soon as the door cracked open an inch. I stepped out onto the porch and turned around just in time to receive a giant jump hug from Alice. I took a couple steps back. She hopped down and stared at me with her big blue eyes, the perfect smile on her face.
“I'll see you tomorrow then, James,” she said.
“Yeah, see you at school,” was the only response I could come up with while she looked at me like that.
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
“Bye!”
“Bye,” she said for the last time closing the door ever so slowly. Alice always knew how to make me smile. I stepped off the porch and started walking toward my house. We lived on a long dirt road out in Wonderland, as we liked to call it. I lived at the very end of the road and her house was right in the middle. Alice was my best friend, but now I realize I want to be with her. After so long I could never gather up enough courage just to ask.

         I walked in the cool air, hands in my pockets. No birds were out, the only thing I could hear was the crunching of leaves beneath my shoes, and the sound of the river up ahead. I looked back and could no longer see Alice's house, and as soon as my eyes were looking forward again, a sharply stabbing pain went through my head. Dam it hurt, I could feel my heart beating in my temples and with every thump another wave stabbed my brain. It was the worst headache I've ever had. I reached up and touched my forehead, I felt the heat from it before my fingers pressed against my skin.

                Up ahead I could hear the slow motion of water passing through the Ohio woods. Walking on, I saw twigs and leafs floating downstream, under the bridge I had to cross to get to my house. Stepping next to the bridge,I bent down to the stream and splashed water on my face, trying' to cool myself off. Well, that was pretty pointless. I could almost hear the sizzle of water boiling. I wanted to punch a hole through the wooden bridge, but I calmed myself a little. Usually I'm not an angry person, but the pain tested my will to care about not being aggravated. I grabbed the railing and pushed my way onto the bridge.

           As I walked on, I started to actually look around at the woods I was in. The trees had a glow to them from the sun and the hills made the mile-long walk from the bus stop worth doing. There were deer and foxes running through the bushes and just above the trees the sunset colored the sky with orange and purple. Purely magnificent.

         Then I realized where I was heading. To my left, about a couple hundred feet away, was the Wickerson's house. Mr. And Mrs. Wickerson were alright people, but it was not them that I loathed so. It was their three, benevolent dogs. They owned one beguile, and two, tall, white and fluffy dogs, I had no clue of their breed. Every evening these dogs would bark at me after I got back from school. Then, sure enough, as I passed by the first part of the fence the dogs ran at me wailing and barking their heads off. The pain in my head increased dramatically, and I grabbed at my hair trying to some how subdue it. It didn't work.

         “Shut the fuck up, you damn dogs!” I screamed at them. I hate dogs. If my mom ever got one I'd drop it in the river, a cinder block chained to its collar. I started to walk a little faster, maybe if I could get away the pain might disappear. Finally, the sound of the dogs was just a whisper. Darker and darker the woods got, and farther down the rabbit hole I went. I reached the front of my house, my head still thumping. Are house was pretty big, and very nice. My mom was a nurse at the hospital in town and she made good money. I followed the path up to the front door. My moms truck wasn't in the yard, so I was home alone. I went to the master bedroom and flipped on the light to the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror I opened the cabinet and took one of my moms Hydrocodones, split it in half and swallowed it with water from the sink.
         My bedroom was on the second floor, and it was the only room with a view of the hills that stretched behind are house. I walked slowly up the stairs, if I stepped too quickly my head would get another wave of hurt. I reached the door, pushed it open and flopped onto the bed, kicking my shoes onto the carpet. I then drifted off to wonderland...
  (incomplete)
© Copyright 2009 MAdd HAtter (ehtrettahdam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564217-The-Pain