*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569537-Vicissitudes
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1569537
An assignment for the Deacon Academy.
Frank pried into the piece of jewelry. It was a topaz colored necklace with straggling orange in each of the beads.

      He was a research student of archeology and had found a trinket in his last excursion. He thought of it as a hallmark of "Merlin's era". It was beautiful and he little knew of the strange events that would follow.

      Frank had bought some tickets in a raffle before he was whisked away to the excavation site. He had a penchant for buying lottery tickets and always dreamed of winning a prize but his attempts never succeeded. He also had a part time job at a business enterprise which was running at a loss. He had to max out his credit cards in order to fend for himself and his family. Worst of all, his beloved Mother was suffering from advanced blood cancer and her days were numbered. He was encumbered with a heavy responsibility over his shoulders.

      Added to his miseries was Beth. Frank was tall and had a handsome figure. His swarthy complexion and almond eyes had something different about them. His eyes were expressive and could woo the heart of any woman.

      Beth was an exception. Her ocean blue eyes, snow-white complexion and an exquisitely pretty face made her conceited. She had directly refused Frank's proposal.

      Things were not going well for Frank. How he wished that everything should turn up well.

      One day , he came home with a beaming smile. His Mom quizzed, "What makes you so happy?"

He enthusiastically replied, "Look Mom, I have a surprise awaiting you."

"Surprise? What?"

"I have won the first lottery prize  worth ten thousand dollars". His Mom was startled.

      A week later, while Frank was sitting in front of his computer, surfing the net,his cell phone rang. A female voice piqued his curiosity and then he recognized it to be of Beth. He was flabbergasted as Beth had asked him for a date.

    The morning sky portended a doom. Frank was jittery as he had to go the Doctor's chamber with his Mom. With trepidation he shoved open the door. The doctor said,"Please sit down. I have some good news for you." Frank and his Mom exchanged looks.

The doctor surprised them by saying ,"The last biopsy report shows that your Mom has  zero level of malignancy. She is completely cured now". Frank felt that he was in seventh Heaven. 

    The vicissitudes made him ponder whether it was a mere coincidence. He got the answer in his dream. He saw the faint image of a mystical man with a huge beard and concocting a spell with herbs and foaming froth. Suddenly a mist emanating from the mixture cascaded around the room. He then heard a gruff voice,"Son, the trinket is my gift for you. Preserve it with care.It will bring you good luck."

Frank sleepily asked, "Who are you?"

He replied, "Merlin" and then vanished.



500 words

 
© Copyright 2009 Koyel~writing again (koyel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569537-Vicissitudes