*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591723-Magic-of-Love
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1591723
A Spenserian sonnet in strict iambic pentameter-1st place in PDG Alumni Poetry Contest.
She lives in the world of acute despair,
Encompassed by the darkness of her mind.
The phantoms of her dreary past ensnare.
Her tender feelings, easy prey they find.

A slave of them, her freedom is confined.
With razor sharp claws, they gnaw at her heart
Til ample bleeding, makes them more unkind
And being happy, quickly they depart.

Relieved at last, she finds a way to start,
Her life again, filled with contentment, fun.
Remembrance of the past she tears apart.
Her darkness wiped out, joy and mirth forerun.

Her loving sweetheart adds to her delight,
A bright ray of hope, he removes her plight.




A variant on the English form is the Spenserian sonnet, named after Edmund Spenser (c.1552–1599) in which the rhyme scheme is, abab, bcbc, cdcd, ee. In a Spenserian sonnet there does not appear to be a requirement that the initial octave set up a problem that the closing sestet answers, as is the case with a Petrarchan sonnet. Instead, the form is treated as three quatrains connected by the interlocking rhyme scheme and followed by a couplet. The linked rhymes of his quatrains suggest the linked rhymes of such Italian forms as terza rima.


© Copyright 2009 Koyel~writing again (koyel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591723-Magic-of-Love