*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598127-A-Minor-Incident
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Fiction · Emotional · #1598127
A short story inspired by A Minor Incident by Badly Drawn Boy and depression.
Warning: If suicide strongly upsets you, don't read any further.

--------------------------------------------------------

She walked over the CD player and pressed play. The first cheerful tunes of the last song of her life sounded out from the speakers.

There's nothing I could say to make you try to feel ok
And nothing you could do to stop me feeling the way I do
And if the chance should happen that I never see you again
Just remember that I'll always love you


She sighed as she sat down on her bed. She looked around the room that she had cleaned thoroughly earlier. After all, she didn’t want to be found lying in a pile of crap. She had some sense of dignity left.

Her gaze lingered on an old photograph of herself and her lover. She suddenly felt like her stomach was filled with rocks and her heart was being ripped out of her chest by some kind of a wild animal. This was going break her lover's heart. But she was sure she would understand…
One day.

I'd be a better person on the other side, I'm sure
You'd find a way to help yourself
And find another door
To shrug off minor incidents
And make us both feel proud
I just wish I could be there to see you through


She took the knife she had chosen for her deed and traced along the old scars with its tip. She turned to look to her left at the large pile of painkillers and the bottle of Scotch on her bedside table. This time, she wasn’t taking any chances. It would end tonight.

She poured some Scotch in a glass and grabbed the pills from the table. She downed the pills easily enough and then turned her attention back to the knife beside her. She took a deep breathe, placed the edge of the knife on wrist and slowly slit it open.

Blood rushed out of the wound, running down her arm and dripping onto her lap. She could feel her head getting lighter and she knew she would pass out soon. She made two more deep cuts before laying her knife down and turning her eyes to the photograph once more.

You always were the one to make us stand out in a crowd
Though every once upon a while your head was in a cloud
There's nothing you could never do to ever let me down
And remember that I’ll always love you


The photograph of herself and the woman she loved was the last thing she saw before she drifted into eternal sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In Italics are the lyrics to Badly Drawn Boy's song 'A Minor Incident'. I don't own the lyrics or any other part of the song and am in no way affiliated with Badly Drawn Boy or his record label. I'm just a big fan.
© Copyright 2009 blaidd-ddyn (blaidd-ddyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598127-A-Minor-Incident