*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602152-The-Mysterious-Lump
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1602152
A Mysterious Lump in My Cheek ended in Embarrassment in the E.R.
As far as this story, I only know what little I remember of the event combined with what I was told years later.

I was about two years old. My mother noticed a large lump in my cheek and opened my mouth to see the probable cause. She found nothing. What could have caused such a huge swelling? My grandmother saw the lump and let out her usual, "Yo!". My mother, father, and aunt took me to the E.R. in Rahway hospital. On the way to the E.R., my mother was holding me and crying."Could it be mumps?", "She's allergic to everything. Did she eat something she can't have?". I remember the E.R. doctor putting me up on the exam table. He said," there is a swelling in her left cheek." He opened my mouth and did a thorough finger swipe of the interior of my mouth."I can't see what is causing the swelling since this carrot is in the way." He removed a chunk of a carrot top and my mother walked out of the E.R. red-faced and crying tears of relief. My aunt and father were left to face the doc with embarrassment. My father said he knew something was fishy when the lump switched from my right to my left cheek.Apparently I took a scrap of carrot top and put it way back in my mouth like a chipmunk. I was cutting my 2 year molars and I remember hiding that carrot top way back in my mouth and chomping on it to relieve the pain. That and I just plain loved carrots. I liked them so much that I ate them raw while saying, "What's Up Doc?". This annoyed the crap out of my mom since it reminded her of that awful day in the E.R.
© Copyright 2009 InkWellspring66 (songofsolomon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602152-The-Mysterious-Lump