*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1609312-COUGH-OF-LIFE-3Heroes
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1609312
Am I My Brother's Keeper?
COUGH OF LIFE 3


HEROES…Am I My Brothers Keeper?

With great power comes great responsibility...
Did it ever dawn to you that each and one of us are bestowed with super powers by our Creator? Powers we are often unaware of. But is definitely within us. They are God given gifts that we never utilized or sometimes misused. They are often so strong that we can either make or break a being without a sweat or a juice.

Have we ever wandered that even in our routine existence in this world that all of us seem to be connected in some ways? While it is true that none of us can live to himself, most of us choose to be just survivors of this earth. “Survival of the fittest” and curse to meekest.
Lions hunt for their preys, gazelles run from their fowlers; an eagle dives to catch an innocent fish to serve dinner for her eaglets, or a chameleon deceptively trying to trick his predator. A Snake unleashing its venom and swallows a tamed rabbit, while a turtle protects itself by hiding into its shell. But these are the survivors in the wild and of the wild. God separates us from these beasts because we are special…so special that we don’t have to lift a tall building, run like a bullet, or fly like a bird in the celestial.

In the world we live in no matter how chaotic it is, civilization makes man and not beasts, we promote heroes not villains.
But sometimes the heroes we knew are like in a silver porcelain
In a lofty place where only few are chosen.
So we dropped those gifts given by the Almighty, and settle for
the “survivor instincts” happily.

I am guilty of just being a plain survivor in some points of my life.
Not in my defense, I thought being a survivor connotes strength and longevity, the sad truth is, it doesn’t, lest if surviving is at innocent people expense. All of us have his or her own heroes’ stories to tell. Growing up without a father since I was a toddler somehow assembled the survivor within me. I am a lost sheep in the midst of the jungle, no role model to imitate. “Struggles” became my middle name and “troubles” as my last, but the end of it all, I knew that there is always someone who has been rerouting me to take the right path. God is the Captain and He uses people as shipmates. That’s how I would like to relate.
I remembered when I was small that I hungered for a role model, came a brother in law who’s so disciplined and organized that I secretly follow each of his moves. He eats with a clean plate, not a single grain of rice left, wasting of food he despises, therefore I follow. He brush his teeth each and every meal, I follow, he plans his day, I follow, he is a man of his word…I tried to follow.

The thing is, in this life, we are all heroes and not just plain survivors. Although sometimes we deny and corrugate heroism by visible selfishness and moral insensitivity and replace them with earthly and plain survival deity.
There is a hero in all of us; sometimes we are so unaware that we might have helped hundreds of people in our lives. While we deny and hesitate to be heroes, we cut the tie that binds us together, and we missed those lives supposedly saved forever. These are through the smallest of deeds for us, but the biggest of help to others. Just giving a sincere smile to a lonely stranger is heroic enough to save that individual from committing neither a crime nor a suicide. Thus I can say, “a modest act of kind gesture to the simplest of man means the grandiosity of life his world has become.” A simple life's rule; Look for one another.
A lesson learned, never would I dare our God by asking Him…Am I my brother’s keeper?
Because we all knew what happens to the one who asks our Skipper.


God Bless Every One!

© Copyright 2009 coughboy (gpena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1609312-COUGH-OF-LIFE-3Heroes