*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613879-Unrequited
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1613879
Does he lover her or not?
Darkness fell much earlier than I had anticipated. I knew a storm was brewing and I wanted to make it home quickly. It was a beautiful day when I decided I would walk to Scott's. It gave me a chance to daydream, imagine how it would be if my best friend finally realized he was in love with me as much as I was in love with him.
As the wind started to pick up and carry a definite chill, I wrapped my arms around myself and picked up the pace. My feet deciding for me to take the short cut through the town cemetery. The coming storm seemed to reflect my change in mood. Hopefulness turning into hopelessness. Happiness into depression.
As we sat to watch our movie, I made sure to sit close, making sure my leg touched his. At first I tried to ignore his comments about how beautiful Julia Roberts was, how hot her body was. I laid my head on his shoulder in hopes he would notice me. Turn his thoughts to my touch.
The flash of the lightening lit up names on the tombstones. Somehow they mesmerized me, making me slow my steps. My thoughts turned to them. I stood in front of Jane Barry's marker. The rumbling thunder in the distance echoed in my head as I wondered, Did Jane have a true love? Did he love her in return? Did they live a life together or love each other from afar?
Slowly Scott's face began to dance in front of me. Pale,like a ghost who would be roaming this place in a night like this. The thunder, closer now, saying the words he spoke today. Telling me that when he met his perfect woman, one as sexy as Julia, he would whisk her off to some tropical island. They would marry on the beach and live there lazily and happily for the rest of their lives.
As the thunder rumbled their words, despair washed over me. Lightening flashed and the loud pealing boom that followed must have been the sound of my heart being ripped from my chest.

I was on my knees, staring blankly at the marble that let everyone know there Jane was. The wind was blowing hard now. My hair was whipping around my face. None of it affected me now, the cold outside could not match the cold loneliness I felt inside. I knew from the feeling of the wetness on my face that it had began to rain. The cold splinters of rain whipping at my face did not compare with the large warm tears that mingled with it.
Even though the noise of the wind blowing through the trees drowned out any sound I could muster up from myself, I knew Jane could hear me as I spoke through my tears.
“What can I do? Will I live in this depression for years and pretend I am happy for him as I visit him on the beach with his beautiful wife and children? All the while feeling my heart break over and over like shattering glass?”
I listened. Listened for some words of wisdom. Some hope or help that Jane could give me from her life, knowledge, and learning.
© Copyright 2009 Cassie LePard (snowymooses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613879-Unrequited