*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656645-What-comes-around-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1656645
Alex was in a pickle. He knew the stuff was stolen but he didn't dare tell O'Banion.
It all started a few days before. Alex's home was burglarized and, as any typical citizen, he made out a police report with Officer O’Banion.

“What was stolen?” He’d asked.
“My TV, computer, stereo system, one rocker-recliner chair, and approximately $125.”
“Do you have any pictures of the items?”
“Yes, a few. Mostly in background shots."
“Of all people, you know the odds of getting this back, don’t you?”
“Yeah, but I'll get the pictures.”

Alex knew the police suspected he was the local ‘fence’, but they could never prove anything outright.
………………………

Even though his store was just a branch of a larger operation, Alex’s pawn shop was doing well. He believed it was because of his rigid policies, pricing, and of course ... a little fencing.

As told to him afterward, Shaina, the part time employee, bought some stuff that morning from -- as she put it -- “a kinda shifty looking guy that seemed very nervous”. The items were in great condition, not like the usual junk that had an inch thick layer of dust. So, she accepted the offer with the normal price mark down.

Alex just walked in as O’Banion was paying. He immediately realized his predicament. Alex thought of the interchange of a few days before, as he watched O’Banion walk out the door. He thought of stopping him, but he couldn’t. Thoughts of him being arrested for selling stolen merchandise and insurance fraud popped in his mind. There was no way O'Banion would believe him. He stared as O’Banion loaded the stuff into the back of a pickup truck.

He couldn’t believe the irony. He chuckled to himself, grimaced, and waved. He felt the bulge of the pictures in his pocket, and watched as his stolen stereo and recliner, drove away.



298 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Dust, Fence, Branch
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656645-What-comes-around-2nd-Place