*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666580-John-Fenly-BanksCharacter-Creation
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1666580
An aristocratic man battling his thoughts of unworthiness.
I give the ends of my moustache one last twirl. The slightly arrogant smile of an aristocrat plays around the edges of my thin lips. I can see the authority glinting in my own eyes, the hunger for power. An invisible V.I.P sign seems to hang around my neck, warding off any questions in peoples mind about who is in charge. I was born a leader. I will die a ruler.
My father would not recognise this man, he would not recognise the smile, the walk and the perfectly articulated words that escape this mouth. This man is the son he always wanted. A deep chuckle sounds from the bottom of my throat when I think that as soon as he gets to escape this cruel world and his disappointment of a son, I become a greater man than he ever was. My father was an upper-middle class man who thought his last name made him untouchable. My father was a tyrant in the worst sense of the word. When his wife bore a son he christened the boy John Fenley Banks hoping that this boy would carry his last name as a crown just as his father had.
I was sent to the countries best school, then the world’s best college, I was always a failure in his eyes.
He is the reason that I am the cold-hearted, but dexterous and successful politician America knows me as 13 years after his death. I have my father’s arrogance, but my mother’s strength of will. At age 41 I am the youngest prime minister that the world has ever known, I am determined to also be the best prime minister the world will ever know.
The man in the mirror is the man I have become. With a chin held so high it almost points to heaven and eyes that are so sure that everything that they pierce are inferior, I am looking at the man that my father stamped out of me without even realising. The inadequate and shy man of the past is gone forever.
© Copyright 2010 Jess Dukes (jessdukes.23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666580-John-Fenly-BanksCharacter-Creation