*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674254-Prologue-The-Truth-Seeker
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1674254
The prologue for a book that I began working on several years ago and hope to finish.
Al’reth glared at the man before him, his hands clenching and unclenching into fists and his breathing ragged.  “How dare you!” he hissed between clenched teeth.  “How dare you come here demanding my family leave our home!”  His eyes, usually a dark gray were flashing silver in his anger as he stared at the man standing on his doorstep.
         The pale skinned man stood motionless, his hands clasped loosely in front of his extravagant robes, the golden trim shining in the dying sunlight.  His bright blue eyes followed the agitated movements of the Tier’Dal with no more interest than one would give to a blade of grass in winter.
         His voice was calm when he spoke but the underlying hint of annoyance was easily heard.  “You are not seeing reason, Al’reth.  The Inquisition moves closer each day.  They will be upon you by nightfall tomorrow if you do not heed my words and take your family back to Neriak…at least for the time being, no one will be able to stop them from destroying  you and your family,” the last line was said pointedly as he looked to the dark elf woman sitting at the table, her green eyes watching the two men closely.
         No one,” Al’reth began taking a step closer to the newcomer, “especially a Koada’Dal will tell me when to leave my home.  I still run this house and as long as I do, not you or any one else will tell me when to go and when to stay.  That’s the problem with your race…high elves like you think you can barge into people’s homes and demand they listen HA!  I spit in your face, Holkant of Felwithe, along with any others who would darken my doorstep!”
         Visibly shaking to control his temper, Holkant pursed his lips into a fine line.  His voice softened but the menace was dripping from each word, “You will not speak to me with such disdain, dark elf!  Do you have any idea the powers I posses!  As a priest of the high court I could have you strung throughout Nektulos Forest before you even knew what hit you!”
         Al’reth let a slow smile appear on his lips as he retrieved the sword sheathed at his side.  “Now that, my friend, is the best idea you’ve had since you arrived.”  Using his sword to motion to Holkant, he took his battle stance, crouching low, and moving back to give himself berth around the door.  “But I believe it will be you that’s strung through the trees.”
         Holkant sighed but he drew the staff hooked over his back.  “Do not make me do this, Al’reth.  I do not wish to kill you tonight over such a trivial matter that can be solved easily.  Either go to Neriak and stay for a few nights or face the Inquisition when they arrive tomorrow eve.  Do not sentence yourself to an earlier death than that.”
         Screaming in anger at the man’s words, Al’reth attacked, his blade coming down heavily on the wooden staff that had been brought up just moments before the sword would have hit the other man clean in the shoulder.  Holkant danced around his attacker, bringing himself into the cabin and away from the confines of the door frame.  Though the small cabin did not provide much more room in the means of fighting, it was better than nothing and all he could get right now.
         Tightening his grip on the staff, he watched the man circle him, the blade glinting in the low burning fire in the corner.  He glanced at the woman formally sitting at the table, now backed into the corner of the room, her apron curled into her hands that were fisted in her mouth to keep from screaming.
         The momentary distraction had Holkant caught off guard as the blade swung forward, hitting his staff with such force that it shook him to the core.  Holding the staff over his head, he twirled it between his hands and chanted softly, a bright green mist forming around the staff as he swung down and caught the dark elf on the shoulder and back.
         Stunned by the power of the attack, Al’reth stumbled back and, unable to keep his balance, fell to the floor, his sword clattering a few feet away from his outstretched hand.  The woman in the corner cried out as Holkant stepped forward and placed one foot on Al’reth’s chest to keep him from standing and held the staff over his knee.
         “I told you I didn’t want to fight you,” Holkant’s voice was low, his blue eyes disappointed as they looked down at other man.  “Now I will tell you one last time…get your family to safety before the Daggerians take them from you…permanently.”  With one last look at the man on the floor, he turned and started towards the door.
         Seething with anger, Al’reth reached down quietly and grabbed a sharp dagger from the inside of his boot.  Taking aim at the man’s back he let it fly from his fingers.  “Go to Hate, Holkant!”
         It all seemed to happen in slow motion as Holkant twisted his body around, the edge of his staff hitting the blade and knocking it up into the air.  Twisting the staff behind him in one hand, Holkant reached up and grabbed the blade with the other.  It had barely touched his fingers when he let it fly back at his attacker with such precision and force, Al’reth did not even have time to look surprised as the dagger buried itself within his chest.
         Screaming hysterically the woman finally moved from the corner.  Holkant looked over in time to see the wildness in her eyes as she flew at him with another sword, swinging with all her might.  Bowing his head slightly and sighing, Holkant swung the staff around his back and brought it down upon the woman who crumpled immediately to the floor beside her husband and did not move again.
         The high elves sensitive ears picked up an almost inaudible gasp from the back of the cabin and he narrowed his eyes, seeking out the dark corners of the room.  Cursing under his breath, he stepped slowly around the bodies on the floor and did a sweep of the room, stopping by a large pile of wolf and bear pelts in the back corner of the cabin.
         Carefully he lifted the top gray colored fur and saw for the first time a small form huddled beneath, visibly shaking.  The girl’s snow white hair was matted with sweat and clinging to her face and neck and her cheeks and eyes were red from tears.  He also noticed her knuckles were bleeding where she must have been biting them to keep from screaming as she’d heard the battle.
         Cursing even more at his luck, Holkant looked around hopelessly.  The small girl stood on shaking legs and seemed to be transfixed upon her parents’ lifeless forms.  The child could not have been more than five but when she looked up at Holkant, he saw the hatred that she carried was that of a full grown woman.  Her eyes blazed to a hazy red as she launched herself on him, pounding him with every ounce of strength she had and screaming madly.
         Holkant grabbed her wrists effortlessly and held them tightly in one hand while the girl struggled against him and yelled in the dark elf language, no doubt cursing the man before her.  She kicked wildly and Holkant swore as her boot came crashing down on his knee.  Reaching into his robe he withdrew a small vial with a yellow liquid inside.
         Uncorking it with his teeth, he pulled the girl towards him, twisting her around as he did so her back was against him.  With much effort, he forced the bottle to her lips and tilted it back.  Most of the liquid was spit back out before he was able to clamp his hand over her mouth to keep the rest in.
         As her struggles lessoned, he picked her up and cradled her in his arms, looking down at her.  Though the drug was taking effect quickly, her haunting green eyes watched him as if she was memorizing his face.  He shook his head sadly and took a deep breath.  “I’m sorry, little one,” he swung towards the door and made his way out into the night as the child fell limp in his arms.
© Copyright 2010 Kamdora (kamdora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1674254-Prologue-The-Truth-Seeker