*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675121-Chapter-3
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1675121
Chapter 3 - story is getting a mind of its own
        I awaken to Cassidy saddling Adar, trying not to step on me sleeping in the corner.  He looks down and notices that I am awake.  “How is the little injured kitty this morning?”

        I stand up and gingerly stretch.  Wow!  It's only mildly painful!  What the hell did Mintaka do last night?  Cassidy sees that it's not as painful, so he crouches down and begins to take the bandages off.  “Let me know if I hurt you.”  Oh, that won't be a problem.  Kitty has claws and teeth.  The wound has already begun to heal.  Wow!  What the hell or who the hell is Mintaka!

        Cassidy looks at my leg in amazement as well.  “Well, I guess you will be able to ride on with me.”  He shakes his head and looks back at the Inn.  I can see Mintaka watching the stable from a second story window with a small grin on his face.  Hmmm.  What did I miss sleeping out here last night?

        I look up at Cassidy as he finishes preparing Adar for our travels.  He looks more content and well rested than he has in the past few days that we have been traveling together.  Ha!  I think the night at the Inn was good for him.

        Adar senses that he is saddled and ready to head out.  The beautiful black unicorn stallion steps out into the sunlight.  Cassidy and I follow him.  Cassidy looks up at the Inn, searching the windows.  Te he, he's looking for Mintaka, isn't he?  I hop onto his shoulder and nudge his chin so that he sees Mintaka in the window.  They exchange knowing glances and wave bye to each other.

        Cassidy mounts Adar and pats the saddle pad for me to settle in for the trip.  I look up at him wondering where we may be going today.  “Prrrrtt?”  I vocalize so Cassidy realizes I want to know what his plans are for our travels.
     
        He turns around in the saddle and scritches my chin.  “Venya told me just a bit ago that Ludlow needs our help.  The tyrant's men are there trying to destroy the grain stores.”  I let out a low growl that lets Cassidy know that I am ready to go.

        Cassidy spurs Adar and we go galloping across the fields and hills of Sagittariabay again.  We hear the townspeople yelling and cursing from a few miles way as we approach Ludlow.  Damn this tyrant.  I want to spill his blood myself!  But I'm not the warrior here.

        As the stallion rounds a bend, Cassidy and I see a small band of men surrounding the town's granary.  The men have dogs with them as well.  Well damn, this does not bode well for me now does it!  The men are telling the townspeople that they will now have to pay to get grains and other stores from their own granary.  The Ludlow citizens are obviously not pleased and are trying their best to revolt and force the men out, but are not armed.

        This small army sent by the tyrant has both training and weaponry.  The townspeople don't stand a chance alone.  Cassidy suddenly lets out a primal scream and kicks Adar into a flying gallop towards the tyrant's men.  Damn, I want to control my entry into this fight, so I bail off Adar and hop into a bush.

        The men are very well trained and Cassidy has to fight hard during this battle.  I don't see where I can help, but I decide to race in and jump on different men scratching the eyes and faces to try to give Cassidy an edge.

        This is a vicious battle though, very intense and getting dangerous.    The army men have brought shepherd dogs with them and they have released them into the battle.  The shepherds would best be described as looking like Belgian Tervurens back where I am from.  They are a russet mahogany with a black overlay and long haired.  These are medium to large size dogs and are quick.  They are muscular and strong.  They are also barreling straight for me growling and menacing.

        I scramble into the nearby woods to try to loose the dogs.  These dogs are quick and are gaining.  I scamper and climb up a spruce tree into the top boughs.  The dogs circle the tree for hours growling and grumbling before giving up and wandering off.  I start to climb back down the tree, but apparently find a dead, fire-weakened branch.

        I hear a distinctive crack and the branch gives way and I begin to plummet towards the ground 25 feet down.  Oh shit, this is gonna hurt.  The last thought I have before hitting is I don't know how much we can take or when this bough will break.  Giggle.  Why am I giggling at a time like this?  And do cats giggle?
© Copyright 2010 RavenHawk (rvnhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675121-Chapter-3