*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795057-Chapter-One-The-Arrival
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1795057
Ambition isn't always met with open arms. (constructive criticism)
      A large spaceship drifted through the stars, its gray metal exterior shone dully in the light of the heavenly bodies. Manydeep gorges streaked the side of the ship, evidence of a battle staining its scarred exterior. In contrast to its desolate husk, light could be seen inside. It was stifled by the blackness surrounding it, cutting off its beams at the source and leaving little but the evidence of life. The vastness of space engulfed the ship, making the massive craft seem lost and insignificant. Great engines pushed the beast forward; the roar of the thrusters being devoured by the vacuum of space. It lumbered on, making its way deeper into the darkness ahead.
         
         Deep inside the craft a man sat in a large room. The walls were made of glass, and showed the stars floating by. Everything was dark, save the small amount of light that drifted in from outside. It threw a dim glow over everything. In the center of the room staircases lead up to a large platform against the front most windows. On the platform sat a desk and chair, a massive computer screen rose behind them. In the back of the room a door slid open, allowing a rush of light to permeate the gloom. A man stepped in, and the door closed behind him, plunging the room once again into near darkness.

          "This is ridiculous.”
         
The tall, wide computer screen flickered to life. Blinking carts and maps began to scroll across it. In front of the screen sat the silhouette of a man in a large chair staring intently at the monitor. His were hands folded, and his fingers were pressed against his lips.

          “Is there something amiss Mr. Kessler, sir?”

          A stocky older man walked into the light. His short red hair was graying, and was trimmed into a neat crew cut. He wore a striking military uniform, medals on his chest gleamed in the dull light. His eyes were sunken and dark; and his sharp cheekbones cast deep shadows across his cold features.

          “There is most definitely something amiss, Victor!” the man in front of the screen said sternly, slowly turning in his seat. He stood, and his glasses shone in the light of the screen. Although he was tall and slender, he had a strong air of power about him. His handsome features were accented by a neatly trimmed goatee. He wore a proper black business suit; his short dark hair was slicked back. He stood perfectly upright without being stiff, as if he naturally commanded himself that way. He stared at Victor for a moment, before walking around the screen to the window.

          “I have just been exiled from my own planet for ‘crimes against humanity’. Now I drift through the stars, desperately trying to find a place where I will not suffer such...indignities." He placed his hand against the glass, and closed his eyes. The cool glass was soothing to touch.

          "Those fools could never possibly understand my genius. In order for humanity to gain anything, simple sacrifices must be made."

          He spun around sharply, looking at Victor with intensity in his gaze.

          "Is that too much to understand?”

          “Not at all, sir.” Victor replied, tensing suddenly. He faltered for a moment, but quickly gained his composure.

          “The people were simply not ready for your ideas.”
          "That is what angers me!" He yelled spinning around and pounding his fist against the window. "All I have tried to do is improve the way that the majority lives. The intelligent people, the ones willing to sacrifice for the good of their fellow man, should not be persecuted in this way. Those brave people knew full well what the risks are, but accepted the compensation and made the brave choice to use themselves to forge a path to the future." He sighed deeply. "At ease, Victor. Please speak freely."

          Victor's whole body relaxed, as if a large weight had been lifted from his shoulders. A sudden warmth came to his features. He walked to Kessler's side and placed a hand on his shoulder.

          "That may be how you view it Joseph, but you must know that not everyone views issues on the same level. You are only forty-three, you still have much to learn and a long life ahead of you. To you it was the means to a better future, but to them it was a sick man mutating and killing innocent people. You are a lot like your father Joseph. He was one of my best men. He always fought to defend what he knew to be right, no matter the cost." He paused for a moment, and looked at Kessler's grim reflection in the window. "Just don't make the same mistake he did. Don't let your pride-"

          “Well, that is precisely why we must find a place where we will not suffer such a censor.” Kessler stated, cutting Victor short. He turned a way, pulling his shoulder from Victors grasp. He walked forward to his desk, and pressed a button on a small metal panel; a low tone rang out.
          “Vanessa, patch me through to navigation.” He commanded impatiently.
          “Yes, sir,” A stern woman’s voice replied.
            Several seconds passed and a young man’s voice came through the speaker.
          “Mr. Kessler, sir, this is Hale from navigation.’
          “Yes,” Kessler replied, “Have you the star chart information I asked for?”
          “Yes, sir, I do. It seems in the Neron galaxy there are several M-class planets, the most promising of which is the terrestrial planet of Altea. There is an abundance of life on the planet, but scanners indicate that the technology is circa eighteen hundreds in earth time. It seems like a good candidate, considering that the Alliance has quarantined it to development. The database says that the planet is supposed to be allowed to progress naturally. The only study done on the planet was an investigation done by the Alliance to enter alien languages into the galactic database for immigration reasons. They used small recording probes with built in ciphers to record the local language. After discovering the nature of the civilization the quarantine was put into effect.  Any contact, even probes and scanners is forbidden and punishable by law. We would be able to dock there with no chance of being discovered, as long as we can sneak past the Alliance blockade."
          "Excellent work Hale." Kessler replied excitedly. "Is that all the information you have for me?"
          "No, sir." The man replied. "The most interesting data we’ve gathered is a strange energy signature. It is quite literally everywhere, but seems to stem from no common source. I’ve taken the liberty of cross referencing it with our database, sir.”
          “And what did you discover?”  Kessler asked.
          “That’s just it. It matches nothing. It’s an unknown, sir. ”
          Kessler stroked his chin in thought. This could be just the thing he needed to achieve his dream. If he could find a way to harness this energy, he could finally finish his research.
          On Earth Kessler was limited to inadequate resources allotted for his company, Hexon Laboratories. The United States government employed him and a team of fifty other scientists to create inventions to improve the way people lived. He designed everything from air purifiers to complex bio-mechanical implants. These implants could do any number of things, from simply enhancing a person’s natural senses all the way to the seemingly imposable; unnatural things like breathing underwater or greatly increased strength. He constantly filed for new building permits to expand his facilities, and in the early stages he was granted enough space to create a large series of laboratories with housing on site for the company families. Shortly afterward the government began strictly regulating the amount of resources that Kessler could use. The economy began to fall into a spiraling downturn, turning the once wealthy Hexon Laboratories into a struggling research plant. Kessler no longer had the money to pay for testing employees, so he began to pay people sums of money to take part in tests and studies. In the hard economic times people were willing to do almost anything to keep their families fed. He would take volunteers off the streets and outfit them with the prototypes for his new inventions. Some were successes, while others were terribly scared and mutated beyond repair. Due to the nature of his tests, his operations had to be kept completely covert.  On the day of an inspection, however, one of Kessler's workers confessed the whereabouts of the testing labs to the inspector. After the discovery he was called to trial for human testing and crimes against humanity.
          In the following weeks before the trial, family friend and military general Victor Yerst visited Kessler in prison. Yerst and his men were in danger of being court marshaled for use of excessive force and several counts of torturing prisoners of war. He knew that if they were found guilty his career would be over. Without his military career, his life, he would be nothing. They formed a plan to break Kessler out of his holding cell, and then flee the planet on his ship, a large freight cruiser outfitted with a series of labs and medical bays had the need arisen for Kessler to take his research to other planets. They left Earth on May 23, 2334, after Yerst used his men to lay siege against the prison and extract Kessler to the ship. They were barely able to escape Earth’s atmosphere before the military set out to intercept them. Kessler used some of his inventions - a series high grade E.M.P (electromagnetic pulse) emitters used for disabling dangerous or malfunctioning equipment - to momentarily disrupt the thrusters of the ships in pursuit. This gave them just the time they needed to put distance between themselves and the Earth's forces, but not before the ship sustained severe structural damage. After they escaped sensor range, Kessler began to search for a new place to continue his research. He spent the months proceeding repairing and outfitting the ship with enhancements to better suit the long trip they most certainly had in front of them. After many more months passed the ship began to run low on resources and they needed to find a place to dock and set up a base.
            “Set immediate course for Altea,” Kessler commanded, sitting back down in his chair and turning to face the computer.
          “Yes, sir!” came the reply through the speaker.
          “Victor, my friend, you are dismissed."  Kessler said, raising his hand in the air. "Go and gather your men together. Prepare a landing party for when we arrive. We have no idea what to expect upon arrival. The database says we should be facing medieval technology, but be prepared for anything. We don’t know what that energy signature is, and I don’t to find out the hard way that its capable of doing us harm should we not be prepared.”
          “Yes sir, right away, sir” Victor said, then saluted. As he turned to leave, a large, metal double-door slid open at his approach.
          “Oh, and Victor.” Kessler called just as Victor was about to leave the room. He halted and turned sharply to face Kessler, he raised an eyebrow questioningly.
          “Make sure to have the report on Captain Morten's procedure on my desk tomorrow morning. I’ve waited far too long with no updates. I need him to ensure things go smoothly on Altea. Without him tasks could be very difficult. Do you understand?”
          “Yes, sir. Consider it done”
        The door slid closed behind Victor. Kessler moved papers and folders into a series of organized stacks on his desk. His mind raced with ideas and worries as he tried to prepare for the arrival on an unknown world. After a few moments he stood up from his desk and walked back to the window. He stared out at the stars. Without looking away he reached into his pocket and withdrew a wallet. From inside he pulled out a small business card. In large block was written:

Joseph Kessler
C.E.O
Hexon Laboratories

          He crushed the card in his hand and let it fall to the floor. He placed the wallet back in his pocket and then withdrew a thin cloth. He calmly removed his glasses, and wiped them rhythmically as he drifted into thought.
          I have waited for far too long, and suffered far too many indignities. This time I will make my dream a reality. This time no one will be able to stand in my way.
          He confidently replaced his glasses and tucked the cloth away. A computerized voice came over the speakers as he walked from the room, announcing that the ship was now entering hyperspace. As he went the lights turned out, and the large metal doors closed slowly behind him.

          The hallway outside was brightly lit by florescent lights lining the ceiling. There was little definition to the white walls, only blue touch pads showed where nearly hidden doors were. People walked about busily, moving in and out of the doorways all around Kessler as he walked. They would greet him in passing, place a hand on the blue panel, wait for the door to open, and walk inside. The whole ship seemed to work like clockwork, each person doing their job to keep the whole place running. As he approached the end of the hallway, he turned to the right, and faced the wall. He placed his hand on a blue panel, and a bar of light scrolled underneath his palm. After a second the panel beeped and a computerized voice said:

“Clearance granted. Welcome Joseph Kessler.”

          The door opened, first receding into the wall with a hiss, and then quickly sliding to the right. Inside was a large room with a window showing the blue glow of the hyperspace tunnel outside. It was separated into three parts. In the far right of the room by the window was a sink and a counter top. Above the sink was a series of cupboards, made of the same shining white material as the rest of the ship. To the far left was a large bed, the sheets neatly tucked around the mattress in a uniform fashion. To the right of the bed was a table, on top of it sat a book and a pencil. The rest of the room was shut in by two walls and a door near the entrance.
          Kessler walked into the room, undoing his tie as the door slid closed. He removed his jacket and hung it on a hook on the back of the door. He turned to his left through an archway, causing lights to blink on harshly. Inside was a large bathroom, complete with a shower, toilet, and a large sink. He approached the sink, removed his glasses and set them to the side. He turned the water on and cupped his hands under the stream. He quickly splashed the water onto his face, letting the cool liquid cascade down his face. He reached for a towel, and began to dry himself off. Just as he finished a low tone sounded:

          “We are now exiting hyperspace, and entering Altean orbit. We will be approaching the Altean atmosphere in three minutes. Brace for probable turbulence.”

          Kessler picked up his glasses and walked from the room. He made his way to the window and looked out. The planet of Altea grew ever closer; the green of the land and the blue of the ocean becoming more vivid with each passing second. As the ship entered the atmosphere, metal blinds came down over the window from outside. Right before the glass was covered, a bright orange light shone by as the ship burned its way through the atmosphere. Kessler waked to his bed and sat down. He reached for the book and on the nightstand. He gingerly picked it up, and caressed the worn cover thoughtfully. It displayed a man in military dress holding a young boy on his shoulders. He flipped open the cover to the first page. In sophisticated sprawling penmanship was written:

                                                                                  To my son, Joseph.


          "My fathers diary." Kessler thought to himself.

          Kessler thought back to the day he had received the diary from his father. He was ten years old. He woke in the morning to the sound of footsteps in the living room. He walked out to see his father in military dress standing by the door. Tears began to well up in his eyes.

"No daddy please!" He cried running forward. "Don't go anymore!"

"I have to son." His father replied sternly. "And It's about time you became a man. You need to take care of your mother, and most importantly yourself." His father stood up, and began to rummage through a large bag slung over his shoulder, "I'm leaving on an important mission with Victor today, and I don't know when I will be back. In the mean time you will be attending school. I have a bright future planned for you son."

At length he withdrew a book from his bag and handed it to his young son. It was very heavy and thick, and the cover was worn. The only new thing about the book was the photograph on the front cover.

"This is my journal. I've kept it since I was your age.  It may seem old fashioned, but writing builds character." His father explained. "It tells all about my life, and what I went through to become who I am today. Now it’s your turn to write in this book, to write your own history."
       
I never saw him again.

Suddenly the room lurched, throwing Kessler from his revere and onto the cold floor. Red lights flashed in his room and loud alarms sounded harshly:

          “WARNING! SEVERE ELECTRICAL STORM DETECTED. AUXILIARY LANDING GEAR INOPERABLE. BRACE FOR IMPACT. ALL PERSONNEL ON LOWER DECKS EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. WARNING! BRACE FOR IMPACT!”

          Kessler scrambled to his feet and rushed to the door. It quickly opened at his approach. People hurried frantically around him as he dashed down the hallway, trying his best to weave amongst the unorganized rush of the terrified people. Suddenly the entire ship tilted, throwing Kessler and several other scientists against the wall. The lights overhead began to flicker and buzz as Kessler steadied himself. He quickly started down the hallway, stepping over the people desperately trying to make it back to their feet. A door to his right burst open in a ball of fire, sending the smoldering door flying across the hallway. He leapt out of the way in time for the door to come crashing to the floor only  feet away. A man ran from the room screaming, his lab coat in flames. Kessler scrambled to his feet as the man rushed to him. Kessler began to back away, the flames engulfing the man’s body radiating heat as he approached. Finally the man fell to his knees in front of Kessler, uttering the word:

"Help"

The man’s body went lip at Kesslers feet, and he turned back down the hall. He finally reached the end of the corridor and came to a large service elevator, the plaque above the doors indicating that the lift was still at the bottom floor. He pressed a button and waited for the lift to arrive. It came up from below, and a group of men in long lab coats rushed out, nearly knocking Kessler over in their rush. As the men left the elevator, they saw the carnage sprawled out in the hallway before them.  Kessler ran inside and pressed a gold button that read:

Bridge.

The doors of the elevator began to close, just as the men began to turn around. A look of panic swept over their faces, and they rushed for the elevator, calling for Kessler to hold the door. The doors closed on the men, and the elevator surged upward. The red lights still flashed between floors, and the alarm warning still wrung loudly. He panted heavily and wiped sweat from his brow. As soon as the doors opened Kessler rushed out.

"Sir we-"

Kessler shoved the man aside as he tried to step forward and talk. A cloud of papers flew into the air as he stumbled backward.

"What the hell is going on!" Kessler demanded angrily, walking onto the observation platform overlooking the navigation team in the bridge. The men below looked up at him, each with terrified looks on their faces.

"Don't just sit there and look at me! What is going on? I demand to-"

He speech was cut off as metal covering the great glass windows of the bridge slid aside, and the surface of Altea surged towards him.
© Copyright 2011 Kessler (doctorkessler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795057-Chapter-One-The-Arrival