*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835258-NOLA-Dreaming
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Melodrama · #1835258
Big dreams in the Big Easy.

"$15,000 for your first package," the dealer said.  "Profits will be five times that."

"How about a test sample?" asked the buyer.

"No free samples," laughed the dealer.  "Or I stick you with this if you insist on one," he said, flipping open a six inch blade.

A small dot of intense light flashed in his eyes, temporarily blinding him.  The dot then moved down to center on his chest.

No question that he recognized the laser targeting beam.  He couldn't locate the source.

"Don't sweat it," said the buyer.  "Just protection.  Here's the $15,000"

"OK," the dealer said, closing the blade.

An envelope was passed to the dealer, a paper bag returned.

The two separated, mixed in with the tourists, and drifted out of Jackson Square, passing on either side of the St. Louis Cathedral.

The buyer crossed Bourbon Street, continued into the Treme neighborhood, and turned into a narrow semi-residential street.  Mostly apartments with small shops on the first floor of some buildings.

He went up a narrow walk between two buildings, and climbed rickety stairs to a second floor apartment.  The door was unlocked.  Julie had beaten him back.

"Your timing was perfect," Roger said, hugging Julie.  "He almost shit his pants."

"Are you sure about this Roger?" she asked, "we can still get out before it's too late."

"$90,000 when distributed," Roger replied.  "I've been dreaming about a deal like this for too long to stop now."

"I didn't get to test it," he continued, "so we'll do that now."

Roger poked a hole in one corner of the package, spilled a small amount onto a plate, and cut it into two hits.

"Ok babe, let's see where this sends us."

Minutes later they were struggling to gulp air which didn't come.  New Orleans dreams lost.
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835258-NOLA-Dreaming