*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837740-Girls-Guns-and-Grit---Part-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1837740
Unhistorical, completely inaccurate fictional tale based on bad spaghetti westerns.
Work in progress. Terribly - I'm not working in a linear fashion either so the story kinda keeps evolving.
I apologise for the mistakes - let me know, I'm always happy to amend!

Period
Presumably somewhere between 1870 to 1890
----
----



"Oh come on now, don't be a sissy about this!"

"It's safer paying 'em the money..."

"Really? rolling over like that? And what happens when they come riding along again hollering for more? For more than just money? 'Cause, you know, you were so accommodating last time and all." To give her statement emphasis, Mabel pounded the wooden table they were seated at. She glared at the slightly younger woman before her.

The glare went unnoticed as the other woman continued to come up with other options for dealing with the problem before them. "If we just scare 'em off..."

"They come riding along again hollering for blood, that's what. And then they'll be all sneaky snake-like and not as dumb."

"The Marshal..."

Mabel spun the empty cylinder of her Colt with absent-minded irritation. "Leigh-Ann, you know the Marshals can't be here all the time, even if you offer to sweeten the deal."

Leigh-Ann crimsoned at Mabel's comments. "Mabel! I'm a married woman!".

Mabel grinned, "Lord, I wasn't talking about that kind of sweetening hun. Though you've been blessed aplenty. Marshals hereabouts have got sticky fingers for a different kind of treat, anyway. They're only interested in money. Saw the deputies take a cut from Mo's stash the other day, tho' their mommas should have taught 'em better."

She tossed the gun at Leigh-Ann, who caught it easily. Mabel's corn-blue eyes crinkled with the slightest hint of crowfeet and stared directly at into Leigh-Ann's grey ones.

"You're a good shot. Couldn't have fed us otherwise. I'm an even better one, old half-blind eyes and all. We could send 'em to hell, now that we know it's just Mean Jim and two others. Best part is we never have to do it again."

"If we succeed."

"'Course we will." Mabel flicked back a lock of blonde hair. "You're a decent shot with that rifle there and I'm amazing with a shotgun."

Leigh-Ann couldn't help rising to the bait, "Decent shot?"

"Well, I did see you drop a bear once. But he was a scraggy ole codger."

"Yeah and only scraggy old codgers with poor eyesight would have to use a shotgun..."

"And kill raging coyotes!"

Leigh-Ann chuckled. "Alright, it was only that one coyote but that was still quite amazing, I'll give. And stop making it sound like you're some shriveled up granny. You're only a couple of years older than I am."

"A little more than that. It's living with the likes of Harry that's aged me. That and taking care of his kids." Mabel tilted her head, "but I rather talk about taking care of Mean Jim."

Leigh-Ann threw her hands up in the air. "Ok! You win, I'm listening. Just remember you're the one with kids and a husband."

"His kids, not mine. They make that plain every day."

"I know you know they miss their momma, but they sure appreciate you."

"I know they're ungrateful brats who miss their momma." Leigh-Ann instinctively shook her head at the unfair comment. Leigh-Ann knew that Mabel didn't really mean what she said.

Somewhere in her mid or late 30s, Mabel was not a renowned beauty, but she did have striking blue eyes and wheat-blonde hair. She also made a comely figure and had a wide pleasing mouth. That same mouth also got Mabel into trouble constantly. Leigh-Ann would frequently catch her saying things that Mabel didn't really mean or which weren't true. Like now.

The truth was that Mabel had a big heart and loved Harry's kids. All three of them. Sometimes it struck Leigh-Ann that Mabel married Harry, a widower, not for him or his neglected ranch, but because the kids needed someone.

"Hush, I know you know you don't mean that, so we won't talk about it."

"Yes! Let's talk about killing three men instead." Her statement made Leigh-Ann frown.

Leigh-Ann opened her mouth but Mabel hurried on. "Don't start with me until you hear me out. We could ambush 'em. You could cover me from the mesa, the shot's not hard to make from there. Spook them. Maybe take out two of 'em and leave Mean Jim to me."

Leigh-Ann looked doubtfully at Mabel. "Assuming they ride in when they say they would. Assuming only three of them are in on this. Of course also assuming we're quick at putting bullets in them like we say we will. And if we can get rid of the bodies like we think we can."

Mabel shook her head at her raven-haired friend and ticked off her fingers. "one, we'll be early and wait. 'Sides, they're dumb, they'll ride in from the track. Two, we know they don't like to share. Three we are quicker. Four, coyotes. Well, or jackals."

Leigh-Ann sighed. "And of course you conveniently forgot, assuming we can actually bring ourselves to kill."

The corners of Mabel's mouth tightened. "I can, I know I can." She pointed to her chest. "There's something inside of here that says they're scum. Worse scum than those coyotes trying to make a meal of the calves. I'm not going to let 'em come here again. Let him come here again. I'll protect what's mine and won't feel sorry for it. It's not the first time I've killed coyotes."

The little log cabin was silent for a moment as both women thought about their predicament. It was a peaceful night. The fire and the whiskey kept them warm from the chill while the log cabin's location ensured privacy. It was tucked away at a corner of the property, but still within shouting distance of the main house, where the kids were sleeping under the watchful eyes of Bo and Estelle. Harry's daddy had built the cabin to host extra help during busy seasons. Now it mostly lay empty and unused. The ranch had definitely seen better times.

Fingering the Colt, Leigh-Ann stared at the Winchester Repeater left casually by the door. "I don't have a problem taking care of scum. There's nastier things in this world, like scrubbing the outhouse at Ted's saloon."

The silence lengthened. Mabel could have said something witty about that, or something cutting, but she chose to remain silent out of respect for her friend. Although they hadn't been friends for a long period of time, Mabel knew instinctively when to let Leigh-Ann have her 'quiet moment'.

Hence Mabel simply lounged back in her seat, fingers ceaselessly arranging the folds of her muslin dress. She waited.

Finally, Leigh-Ann took a deep breath. "I can see this going all wrong, but since I live off you and those kids need a mom, I'll go along with this, just to make sure you don't kill yourself, mind, nothing more. It's definitely not 'cause I think it's the smartest thing to do." She tossed the Colt back to Mabel. "You better load the guns and bring blankets. Oh and a flask."

"Blankets and a flask of hot water? You're getting soft!"

"Not water." Leigh-Ann grinned. "Whiskey, my dear. I only do stupid things drunk."

----

It was cold up on the hill. A twig was also working its way into her side. The blankets only muffled the cold and damp somewhat. Her dress also didn't help, for all the layers of petticoats she was wearing. For a moment Leigh-Ann wondered whether she should have just worn Harry's old clothes as Mabel did. The outfit did seem more suitable for ambush and murder.

All in all, the discomfort was starting to make Leigh-Ann question whether this was really the best plan.

She comforted herself with the thought that there was still some money left over from her time with Derek, should things go really wrong. That is, if Mean Jim would still be satisfied with getting a larger sum of money once he realised that they had tried to kill him.

You would think outlaws would be used to attempts on their life and won't be so sensitive about things like that.

She checked her line of sight for the hundredth time. Checked again to make sure that Mabel was still somewhere down below near the dirt track.

One straight dirt track led in and out of Harry's ranch. A couple of miles out of town, his ranch once had promise. However the winter before last had removed that promise. Harry's herds of cattle soon became heads, and now consisted of a small elderly group and one goat.

Ostensibly Harry was now working as a ranch hand a town away. Realistically he was probably somewhere deep in drink.

Now and then Harry would drunkenly reappear with some money. Try to be a father and husband for a few days. Then more money would be needed and he would leave to try and get some. But he would never return sober.

Ostensibly the drink was to help him get over his first wife and his dead dreams. Realistically there was probably no longer any real reason he kept drinking, he just did.

Shockingly, Mabel never said anything about the drinking to him. Whenever he returned, she would take care of him faithfully, nurse him, let him play father for a while, then let him go again. Leigh-Ann didn't really understand her friend, but she was in no position to argue. After all, Leigh-Ann was also a recipient of Mabel's kindness.

Leigh-Ann's brief short marriage with Derek had been a brief short disaster.

Derek and Leigh-Ann had arrived as strangers, stroking the town's gossip mill into action. The whispering and giggles got louder when it became apparent that they were residing at Ted's (rather disreputable) Saloon. The gossip ran into overdrive when Derek left. Without his self-proclaimed wife.

No one had come out to say it, but it was simply not natural for a young newly-wedded man to simply up and leave. Certainly not when he left without bringing along his rather fine wife or appearing to have made any provisions for her.

Leigh-Ann had fended off the stares and indirect questions with hints and allusions that Derek was trying to getting them a place to stay etc. Time however proved her to be a liar and the rumours became rampant. In the end, Mabel had taken her in when she found Leigh-Ann fending off more than gossip.

Which was why the Winchester rifle Leigh-Ann constantly cradled was more familiar to her than her own husband. In a short time on the ranch, she had discovered that she had been blessed with some uncanny ability to shoot straight. Her ability helped put fresh meat on the table. Now she was praying that her ability would help keep them safe.

She heard the horses coming before they appeared. Jim wasn't even sneaking in. After the first few times, he had probably realised that Harry wasn't going to appear anytime soon. Now he was confident that Mabel would simply hand over his "protection reimbursements" if he left her alone.

And she would have. If he hadn't eyed 15-year old Cody the last time he visited. The teen-aged girl was growing up and it was noticeable. He noticed, and both Mabel and Leigh-Ann noticed he noticed. Mabel also noticed that Jim's henchmen had whined loudly about splitting the money evenly three-ways before they were hushed brutally by Jim. It was obvious then that besides Jim and his two goons, there wasn't actually any one else who would miss this flow of income.

All that noticing led to this - Leigh-Ann crouching low, keeping her sight trained on a man swaying on a bay mare. She breathed easily, letting her sight rise and fall slightly with the rhythm.

She deliberated for a moment, then switched to another target, a man trailing behind on a grey. Mean Jim was Mabel's. She just prayed she could take out his two goons before they could draw.

The bush was silent. She dismissed all thoughts of right and wrong from her head.

A heartbeat.

She took her shot.

The horses reared up at the rifle report. The grey tipped the now-limp load off his back and galloped off. The startled men reined in their horses furiously. Leigh-Ann cocked her rifle again and sent a bullet whizzing towards the second henchman. He crumbled in his saddle and his panicked horse left him in the dirt as it escaped. A snarling Jim drew his pistol and pointed it wildly in her general direction as he see-sawed hard on his reins.

Without any ceremony, a shotgun blast sent Jim sprawling out of his saddle as his bay bolted.

Leigh-Ann watched Mabel step out of the bushes with a sigh a relief. None of the men were moving. She hoped they stayed that way.

---

The entire ambush had taken place in less than a few seconds. Tracking down from the mesa actually took Leigh-Ann more time.

When Leigh-Ann reached the scene, Mabel had already been busy. Mabel waved a wad of dollars and exclaimed, "Looks like we weren't the only ones being fleeced!"

"Are they dead?"

"Sent straight back to hell. You did a damn fine job."

Leigh-Ann grimaced. "Better move the bodies before the flies get here, I'll go get the cart." There was less blood on show than Leigh-Ann had steeled herself for.

Mabel's next sentence proved that the remains on show certainly did not bother her. "'Think there's any chance we can recover their horses?"

"Not sure about that, but we'll keep a look out."

Leigh-Ann begun the short hike back towards the simple open cart semi-hidden in the bushes down the track. The pony was hobbled a short distance away. It had been easy to prep the cart without raising too much attention on the ranch. It looked like any other trip to town, even if it was a day or two sooner than expected.

As she hitched the pony to the cart, she wondered how Mabel could be so unruffled. If Leigh-Ann was honest, her hands were still trembling slightly. She told herself that it was the shock from having just killed a man. Men. She was as wired up as the day when she bagged that bear...

Snapping out of her reverie as she returned, she realised that Mabel was no longer alone. Jim's bay and a unknown palomino was standing near her. A third distinctly unhorse-like figure grabbed her attention.

An easy 6 feet with smiling blue eyes and golden-blonde hair, Marshal Jenkins looked a little like Mabel's little brother. Many girls in town also thought he looked a little like their husband-to-be. He had been made Marshal young and easy. Whispers were that this was in part due to his daddy's big-rancher influence.

Right now he was less his daddy's boy and more Marshal. He was staring at the dead men, staring at Mabel. Pulling up close to them, Leigh-Ann looked at Mabel cautiously.

Mabel was in a Mabel-like pose. Her legs were planted firmly on the track, arms akimbo. She gestured at Leigh-Ann. "Ah was just telling Jenkins here that we found 'em boys this way out on the track when we were heading to town this morning. As you said Leigh-Ann, it weren't right and proper to leave 'em this way and we were about to haul their sorry corpses back to town."

Leigh-Ann nodded slowly. "Went back to get the cart, hope it's big enough." Her eyes roamed over the scene, trying to pick out Mabel's suddenly missing shotgun.

Apparently Jenkins had the same notion too. He was bent over the bodies and after a quick tip of his hat in Leigh-Ann's direction, continued with his examination of the wounds. Examination completed, he grunted and was still. Without a warning he rose and paced around the track, eventually vanishing into the bushes.

Praying he won't check the little bundle in her cart where the Winchester lay, Leigh-Ann frowned at Mabel and quirked an eyebrow, who simply frowned back and tilted her head towards the direction Jenkins had vanished.

Her heart sinking, Leigh-Ann watched as Jenkins strode out a few moments later, holding a shotgun gingerly by its stock. "Barrel's still warm ladies, and blood's still fresh too. You two are very lucky here. You could have easily come across whoever did this."

"That'll be the Lord's good grace, Benji, the Lord's good grace."

"Sorry Mrs. Rogers, it's Marshal Jenkins when on the job, ma'am."

Mabel faked astonishment. "Surely there's no need for all this ma'am-ing and formality? I've known you since you were little, took care of you and your sister when your momma was feeling down, and we aren't even that far apart in age!"

"I know ma'am, but I do take my job seriously, I hope you understand."

Mabel sniffed her disapproval and leveled a pointed stare at Jenkins, which he ignored. He paced around the bodies again, then looked sharply up at the flat top of the nearby mesa where Leigh-Ann had been perched only a few moments before. He drew his pistol and Leigh-Ann balked.

Mabel exclaimed, "Benji! What are you doing?"

"Sorry Mrs. Rogers, Mrs. Campbell. Just instinct telling me to reach for my gun. This here other holes here weren't made by any shotgun or pistol, and since I did hear two rifle shots and this 'ere shotgun only a wee while ago, I expect the gunman with the rifle might still be up yonder."

Leigh-Ann's eyes inadvertently fluttered towards the bundle in the cart. Mabel noticed and shot a warning glance. "Jenkins, if the man's up there, go get him! This is too much for me and Mrs. Campbell, we're not staying here."

"I reckon I won't be moving right now if the rifle man up there had wanted me gone. These two shots here are mighty fine. He's probably left the area but I'm just being cautious now, that's all."

Jenkins kept a firm grip on his pistol as he attempted to speak to both ladies in a soothing tone, "I hope you don't mind if you wait a bit Mrs. Rogers. I would be glad to escort you back to your ranch once our fellas arrive. Deputy Long was with me and he's gone to fetch some help. Maybe the dogs as well. If the killers are still around the area, they'll be turned out."

The two women flinched a little at the term "killers".

Jenkins' forehead creased and softly he mumbled, "Don't understand one thing either. Deputy Long and I were right smack on this track. But we ain't see them who did it, 'cept for them horses. Stands to reason the killers should have come riding back down the track straight into us."

Mabel shook her head. "Well perhaps they were on foot and climbed down the other side of the mesa, Jenkins. Or maybe you should check the bushes again." She straightened her shoulders. "Mrs. Campbell and I certainly didn't see any of these "killers" coming down the track our way either. I don't believe our little ranch to be in any danger, but we will be heading back all the same."

"Of course ma'am..." Mabel cut off the rest of his sentence with a raised finger.

"Now we don't want to hang around all day either. So we'll be heading back now. Please send some one down to the ranch when you can."

"That won't do ma'am, a Marshal should check out the ranch for you first. I'll also need you and Mrs. Campbell here to come back with us to the Marshal's office if you don't mind, go over what happened."

"We aren't prisoners are we Jenkins? Mrs. Campbell and I didn't see a thing in any case. We can tell you that right here, or we'll drop by your office when we can."

"You never know ma'am. I would really appreciate it if you followed me to the office first once the rest of the deputies arrive. It's best when things are still fresh and all."

"Jenkins, I would like to return to the ranch right now to check on the children if you really think there's danger."

"Of course ma'am. But you still shouldn't leave here alone."

His words were ignored as Mabel clambered on the cart next to Leigh-Ann. "Maybe these men here deserved it and the Lord struck them dead. We're still standing, so the good Lord must have taken a shine to us." With that, she motioned for Leigh-Ann to drive on.

Jenkins shook his head and grabbed the pony's reins as they went by.

"You stubborn animal!" Mabel cried.

"My apologies ma'am." Jenkins hung on doggedly to the reins, even as Mabel abused him further. The little pony shied a little before giving up. Jenkins towered over his head and the pony wasn't a known biter.

When her cursing did nothing, Mabel resigned herself to staring icy daggers at Jenkins. They remained at a stalemate until Deputy Long came cantering up with two other deputies.

Fuming, Mabel simply refused to talk to Deputy Jenkins any further. Addressing her questions and comments only to Deputy Long, it was soon agreed that the two deputies would be dispatched to the ranch. Thanks to an interjection from Jenkins, it was also agreed that once the deputies ascertained that the ranch was not in danger, Mabel and Leigh-Ann would follow Deputy Long and Jenkins back to the Marshal's office.

"With the cart ma'am?"

"Yes with the cart," Mabel snapped at Long, "we can do with some supplies back home."

"And um- that attire ma'am?"

Mabel glanced down at her husband's clothes. "Even if Harry isn't around all the time, that certainly doesn't mean his clothes shouldn't be working."

-----

It was a brief wait before the other two deputies returned. They confirmed that everyone at the ranch was safe. And clueless about the killings.

Without further ceremony, Mabel flicked the reins and urged the pony towards town, not waiting to see if Long and Jenkins followed.

Jenkins immediately leapt up onto Jim's bay. However both Long and Jenkins instinctively knew not to stay next to the cart. Instead they were satisfied with shadowing the women from somewhere behind.

Once she was certain that they were not quite in hearing range, Leigh-Ann took the time to phrase her question carefully. In a soft whisper, she asked, "Why didn't you just tell him Mabel?"

Mabel stared out at the moving track. She shrugged and whispered back, "Can't say why really, it was just a feeling. Maybe it was the way he jumped straight up so eager to find their 'killers'. Maybe I should let him know when we get into town. Nothing shameful about killing those jackals anyway."

She shrugged again. "But I don't know if that's the right thing to do either. Facing a jury, a trial, those are disruptive things Leigh-Ann. And I rather not let people know we did it. Mean Jim might have relatives and the like."

"Fair enough. I don't want those things either and there's no need to say who did it, long as it's done. Folks hereabout should be grateful."

"Folks hereabout are unpredictable. I should know. Grew up with 'em." Mabel stared gloomily at the track again.

------------

The questions at the Marshal's office proved to be short. Deputy Long obviously didn't see the need to go over matters again with the two ladies who had been through enough. Jenkins obviously didn't agree, but kept silent when he realised he was the only one.

Although it was a short interview, the sun was already high up by the time they were out of the office.

Leigh-Ann didn't feel as though her body had eased up. At first she had put it down to the strain from this morning. Soon however she realised that the tension was emanating from the town itself. Something didn't seem quite right.

They bought a few items at the general store. Leigh-Ann didn't ask, but noted that they were buying a greater amount of the more essential items then they generally did. Mabel also produced a few more crumpled notes than she generally did. Bags of flour, sugar and even salt made it onto the cart. Mo, the general store owner, attempted to joke about the sudden famine at their ranch. Mabel's stony face quickly silenced him.

Perhaps due to the additional weight, the wheel shaft gave way while the shop boy was heaving their new items onto the cart.

The broken cart increased the already tensed atmosphere. If she had been a coyote, Leigh-Ann would have raised her hackles as she checked that their recent purchases were still intact.

Standing by the broken cart as Mabel went off arranging matters with the wheelwright, Leigh-Ann noted that Jenkins was across the street. She sighed as Jenkins' eyed her. He strode closer, his purpose clear.

Not really wanting to talk to him, Leigh-Ann cast her eyes around and found a few of the 'saloon ladies' looking her way. At Leigh-Ann's frown, they looked away nonchalantly. All save one.

Except for the flaming red hair that screamed harlot, the rest of the lady was shockingly unharlot-like. Instead of threatening to carelessly slip off her body, her dark green satin dress and shawl were worn as they should be. With a matching parasol, she could have been any other woman.The only thing that gave her away was that she stood right outside Ted's Saloon.

Her small neat figure complimented a heart-shaped face. She looked like one of the 'specials' which Ted always charged extra for.

Even at this distance, Leigh-Ann could feel the other woman's forest-green eyes gazing intensely at her. It felt as though the woman was gaining her measure.

The woman gave an almost imperceptible nod in Leigh-Ann's direction. This caused Leigh-Ann to flush suddenly, momentarily confused as to why.

However it appeared as though the nod wasn't just for Leigh-Ann alone. As though responding to the woman's almost invisible cue, Jenkins' progress across the street was suddenly arrested by the approach of few of the saloon ladies. Fluttering and tittering around him, Leigh-Ann soon lost sight of the man in a whirlwind of satin and lace.

Motion drew Leigh-Ann's attention back to the Saloon. The red-haired woman was gesturing urgently. Without realising that she was doing so, Leigh-Ann found herself hurrying towards Ted's Saloon. She soon found herself bundled into a side-door. The side-door of the saloon revealed a narrow staircase, which the woman was now motioning for her to ascend.

Curious, she followed the woman up the flight of stairs, but was stopped mid-way when the woman grasped her arm.

She was further surprised when the woman shoved her against the wall and placed one gloved hand over her mouth. "Shush a moment."

The accent didn't sound local.

The feel of the woman's satin glove on Leigh-Ann's lips was surprisingly distracting. Attempting to shift away resulted in another hush from the woman. Leigh-Ann now found herself pressed even closer against the woman's petite stature. She was marvelously strong for a small harlot.

From behind her head, she could hear the pounding pianoforte music and drunken roars of the patrons in Ted's saloon. It brought back unpleasant memories.

Suddenly the woman relaxed. "We can speak here, I don't hear anyone above us."

The woman dropped her hand from Leigh-Ann's mouth and continued with an introduction. "Hi, I'm Aud."

Leigh-Ann eyed the woman with mistrust. "Odd. Yeah no kidding."

"Audrey, Aud. I work here in case you haven't puzzled that out yet. I remember you. You used to work here too."

Her statement made Leigh-Ann flare up. "Not in that way" she hissed. "I was only hired to do the cleaning and the like."

The woman rolled her eyes. "I wasn't saying anything, I was merely trying to let you know I'm not a stranger."

"I didn't mix around with the whores."

Aud grinned, causing dimples to appear. "Your loss really. We are a fun bunch." Aud stopped grinning. "We're also a loyal bunch. Sometimes. Women don't really like watching other women get hurt."

Aud's eyes dimmed, the pain behind them made visible. "This information was hard earned, so heed it well."

"You and Mrs Rogers need to know that some are fixing to do for you what you did to Mean Jim."

His name made Leigh-Ann's heart race. "We didn't do a single thing to Mean Jim, other than pay that bastard what he asked for every other week."

"Shush, don't need to deny it hun." Aud tapped a finger against her own lips. "We girls here are all grateful you fixed that bastard. He wasn't called mean for nothing and his girls are still hurting some."

Despite her protest of innocence, Leigh-Ann found herself saying, "who's suppose to be out to get Mabel and me anyway?"

"Claude. Big rancher around these parts. Few dozen men under him. Daddy to Marshal Jenkins and daddy-in-law to the Mayor... ever heard about him? Also quiet owner of Ted's Saloon right here." Aud grinned again. "Quiet visitor of this fine establishment as well."

Her revelation sent Leigh-Ann into a state of disbelief. Not that it wasn't impossible for Claude to be a villian but because it was just too... "That's just seems rather... cliché. Doesn't it?"

Aud's silence prompted Leigh-Ann to explain herself further. "Claude's a big-time sort of guy. He's got some ambitions to be mayor or guvn'r or something. Everyone knows. He won't risk all that just to 'get' at some women. Anyway I don't see what he has to do with the likes of Mean Jim."

"Proves you don't know the man. Not that it's your fault really. Y'all folks can't know the man till you know the man." Aud winked and added, "like the bible says." Just in case Leigh-Ann misunderstood her. Her comments made Leigh-Ann blush.

Without warning, Aud stepped away from Leigh-Ann. Her action caused Leigh-Ann to realise that she had been leaning into the woman. Steadying herself, she tried to catch her breathe.

Aud continued with her cryptic warning. "All you need to know is that Mean Jim was working for Claude. Now Claude didn't love Jim any, but Jim was important. Also he can't have you taking out his men and having everyone know he can't control his patch right here. So consider this a friendly warning, seeing how you and your friend don't seem to know what we folks all know."

Leigh-Ann was about to again protest against the assumption that they had taken care of Mean Jim when she heard gunshots. Instinctively, she headed for the side-door, intent on discovering the cause. Her fears propelled her forward.

She moved faster when she heard the crackle of a rifle. Her rifle.

Peering out of the door, she saw nothing except for a deserted street. Her cart was still crippled, the pony nowhere to be seen. The scene made little sense to her.

A slight movement drew her attention - the tip of her rifle was peering out just over the lip of the cart and wavered slightly from side to side.

She apparently wasn't the only one to notice. Another round of gunshots rung out, chipping the cart's wooden frame. The muzzle flashes and smoke gave away their origins.

It was clear that three men were crouching low, taking what cover they could find at the storefronts near the cart. One man was hardly a few feet away, ducking behind a conveniently placed barrel as he took aim again.

Intent on his target, he didn't notice until Leigh-Ann rushed into him that he had company. His surprise gave her enough of an advantage. Wrestling away his pistol, she rolled away with it. Cursing, he came after her.

With the gunshots still ringing in her ear and with her body still reeling from her charge and roll, she felt herself gripping the gun handle and pulling herself into a shooting position. Even so, she hesitated as the man advanced.

A bunch of distinctly unlady-like curses froze both of them.

Spinning around, the man was spun even further away as Aud levelled and fired a shot straight into his chest. A strap around her thighs peeked from beneath her disarrayed petticoat and skirt, revealing where the pistol in her hand had been hiding.

Leigh-Ann watched Aud dive for the man's abandoned cover. Shouts and shots from around them confirmed that they were now targets as well.

The cart, or the rifle in the cart, didn't stay idle either. Leigh-Ann watched its slight recoil as a bullet exited from the barrel. It travelled a distance before lodging itself in the second gunman's arm.

Unwisely, the sudden pain made the gunman jump up from behind his stack of crates. A second recoil and rifle bullet sent him stumbling backwards, crashing heavily into the window of a store.

Another round of exchanges between the cart, Aud and a third gunman. At some point the last attacker realise that he was alone. A length of silence caused Aud to pop up from her cover cautiously. She nudged Leigh-Ann and pointed at a rider galloping away further down the street.

"Think that was him. Must have headed straight for the horses once he realised he was outgunned."

Without further thought, Leigh-Ann ran towards the cart, the man's gun still clutched in her hand. Some of the sacks of supplies had burst under the gunfire, and a badly mangled sack of tinned tomatoes gave her cause for worry. For a moment she was certain that it was a body. Angry curses from behind a sack of potatoes however made her relax.

Mabel emerged from the cart unhurt and stained in multiple colours, wrinkling her nose in disgust. She shook the rifle she was holding, "damn thing ran out of bullets!".

Besides her, Leigh-Ann could feel Aud giggling. Mabel snapped at the both of them. "Well stop standing around, we need to get the cart sorted out before we lose more of the damn supplies." She stared at Aud. "And for decency's sake, pull down your skirt woman!"

Aud smoothed her skirt over with little concern. "Look now, we all have to start moving. I think those men there left a couple of horses we could use..."

Leigh-Ann shook her head. "Not so fast. We need to explain this to the Marshals. We can't just kill some men in the street and ride off on stolen horses."

"Look around you." Aud waved her hands around "Do you see any Marshals standing around here? They were swarming over you just a few moments ago. Folks all vanished too, though I bet the street was full of them a couple of moments ago too."

It was true. Somehow the semi-bustling streets had turned into a dead zone. Leigh-Ann thought she caught a glimpse of Mo peering through his store window. The man ducked his head quickly when he realised that he had been discovered.

Aud bowed mockingly at Leigh-Ann, "Welcome to King Claude's castle."

"Now-" Leigh-Ann's reply was interrupted by Mabel. "Leigh-Ann, I need to make sure 'em kids are alright." she said urgently.

Mabel's worried look stemmed any further protests by Leigh-Ann. Sighing, Leigh-Ann turned to Aud and conceded, "I suppose we can ride off now to the ranch. If anybody does ask, we can always say we were in fright and play the swooning ladies and all."

Aud grinned cheerfully. "Acting! I could give you some pointers there. I make a very believable swooning heroine in our plays..." To demonstrate, she lifted one arm and rested it on her forehead as she fluttered her eyelashes.

The spectacle made Mabel pause. Dryly she commented "I don't doubt that."

----

As they set off on their "stolen" horses (Leigh-Ann maintained the need to use the word, at least in her head), Leigh-Ann wondered how this would play out. She could hardly believe that one man could be bothered to send men after them (who was Mean Jim to him?) or that the entire Marshal's office could be his. Aud had to be exaggerating, part of her job required it after all.

Out of nowhere, a small voice threw a quote she heard somewhere in church once "men aren't known by their words but by their actions, hun." For a moment she was particularly grateful not to be a man. Their actions while justified, would require a whole host of words to understand.

But folks would believe their story won't they?

She shelved that question to worry over at another time.

---------

For a moment the eerie silence surrounding the main house made Mabel clench her weapon tight, only to relax once she saw a shutter move. Bo's head appeared above a shotgun. Realising they were alone, he gave a gruff wave.

The main door sprung open. Lil' Harry came pattering out, Estelle a step behind. Cody was right behind her, nonchalantly sheathing a knife back into her boots. Folks unfamiliar with Harry's family often assumed that he had a gangly young man running about the place. At age 8, Cody had once loudly declared that she wasn't going to wear dresses anymore 'cause they didn't help her climb. Instead she traded and begged for some trousers from their nearest neighbours. Assuming it was a fad, her parents hadn't said anything much. By the time they realised that it was not a fad, it was too late. The young lady refused to put on anything less practical.

At least that had been the situation until puberty.

Mabel gave Lil' Harry a pat on the head after swinging off her borrowed horse. The boy giggled. He was the easiest of the three rascals. Cody on the other hand had outgrown the rascal stage and jumped straight into Trouble.

Mabel glowered at Cody. Estelle could see another conflict brewing between Cody and Mabel and quickly attempted a distraction.

"Mabel! You're back! The children were so worried. But where is Leigh-Ann and why are you so dirty?"

Her attempt failed. Mabel waved her questions away. Eyes narrowing, Mabel focused her attention on the reoccurring problem before her.

"Cody! Don't think I didn't see that. Don't you ever listen?"

The teenager gave a shrug. "This time's different obviously."

"How? Your responsibilities Cody, they don't change! How could you forget them? You know better than to let Lil' Harry here run out first! And where's your gun? What can you possibly do with a knife? Why are you even out here? Who's watching Ruthie right now? You need to make the right calls when we're not around!"

Cody's light-brown eyes glimmered for an instant before growing cold. Spinning around, she strode off, shrugging Lil' Harry away when he tried to stop her.

Confused, the 6 year-old started to tear up, when a multi-coloured spectacle arrived on the scene.

They hadn't been able to salvage the cart and had to improvise. The pony, a stout little fellow, had wandered back to them in town once the gunfire had ceased. They loaded what supplies they could on him and the two horses the men had conveniently left behind.

Ambitious, Mabel had then proceeded to pile the rest of the goods onto a spare taup and bundled this up. She attached the awkward bundle to the pony by means of a makeshift saddle. The pony hauled the bundle along, heedless of the jerks and shifts as the bundle skipped over rocks and holes.

The constant battering meant that some of the goods were starting to bleed out of the tarp, leaving a trail of odd colours and smells as it jiggled along.

Its arrival made Lil Harry giggle. His younger sister, Ruth, also appeared from the house to better enjoy the spectacle. They hushed somewhat when they realised that the sight included the arrival of a stranger. As the least-able horsewoman, the pony had been forced upon Aud. Balancing atop the mournful pony, she found herself quite the spectacle.

As the pony came to an uncertain stop next to Mabel, Aud clambered off the pony and grinned at the gawking children.

When her grin failed to elicit a response, she gave a mocking bow. "Greetings children! The circus is in town!"

Bo came scrambling out of the house, shotgun in tow.

Glaring at Mabel's lack of courtesy, Aud proceeded to attempt some form of introduction. "How do you do. My name is Aud. I must apologise for the mess, but it was the only way we could haul the rest of the rations along. Think the canned food might still be salvageable."

Bo shook his head and prodded the tarp with the end of his gun. "Looks like the kids are gonna get stew and good ole mix 'n match for the next few weeks!" This announcement provoked howls of protests from both Lil Harry and Ruth. Estelle shoved her husband aside. "Silly man. Help me get the items into the house." She patted Lil Harry on the head and said, "You too children."

Mabel interjected, "Estelle, hold on. We need to explain something to you and Bo." She glanced at Lil Harry and his sister. "Maybe somewhere without the children around."

Aud volunteered. "I can take care of the horses and get cleaned up somewhat." She winked at the kids. "I could probably get you something clean too if someone could point me in the right direction." Already taken with the strange circus act before them, the children immediately tugged at her arms, "here Miss! Here!"

Without waiting for Mabel's approval, Aud gathered the reins and proceeded to lead the horses away under the guidance of her two new best friends.

"Spit it out. We've been jittery since them Marshals visited." Bo was always curt and to-the-point. Estelle stood by, unsure of her role in this. She was content to play the part of Bo's wife and did not frequently involve herself in bigger decisions concerning the ranch. Bo on the other hand, while just a ranch hand, had served and worked for Harry and Harry's daddy for a good many years. He may have never put down money for the ranch, but he had paid for his rights in sweat and hard work.

Quickly, Mabel outlined their current situation. She didn't leave any fact out, but also tried to skim over the more colourful details, like the gunfight. Bo however was not fooled. "You said how many men?"

"I don't know exactly, maybe two? Three?"

"Damn Mabel, that's six men you've killed. That's bound to get around. They'll be coming for you alright. I can't believe you took the time to haul stuff back. You should have been hightailing it back here!"

Crossing her arms defensively, Mabel nodded in the direction the kids had left. "I know they may be coming straight for us right now, but everyone still needs to eat and we might be grateful for the supplies later." She hurried on. "It's fine, we've got some time. We set off the old boulder trap so the track here's pretty blocked up. I really doubt that anyone knows of another way here."

She tipped her head in the direction of the track. "Besides, I've got Leigh-Ann watching over that damn track right now. She'll let us know if anyone's coming 'round."

Bo shook his head. "You should have brought me. I could have-" He fell silent at the touch of Estelle's hand on his arm.

Estelle nodded at Mabel. "I'll start packing. Quickly. I think Mabel won't want the children to be around here for now. We can take them to see Mamé. It's been awhile." Almost like an afterthought, she added, "No one really knows about Mamé except this family."

Mabel heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you Estelle. I almost forgot about her. That will actually work." That got a grin from the older woman. "No reason for you to think of her, she's my mother after all not yours, and she's unpleasantly grumpy like Bo and quite the recluse." Both women looked at Bo expectantly. Realising that matters had already been settled, he gave an unhappy humph and nodded.

He waved his shotgun in the general direction where Cody had disappeared and said, "I'll go round up the girl and relieve Leigh-Ann. Looking at the state both of you were coming in, she'll probably need a change and more too."

----------

[Ran out of space - look for a part 2 if still interested]

© Copyright 2012 Ms.Kafuffle (ms.kafuffle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837740-Girls-Guns-and-Grit---Part-1