*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1868658-In-the-Rain
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1868658
A unnamed girl admits something she very quickly regrets.
The words came out of my mouth before I could even think about them.

The words were inevitable, but they didn't stop me...Didn't stop me from leaving him in the torrential downpour.

I'm running down the twisting, dark road. My tears melding with the rain, my drenched ponytail slapping my shoulders and face and then...I tripped. I got right back up though. Blood trickled down my soaked leg, reminding me of a crude water colour paint.

I didn't look back. Not for a long time. Not until I felt tired, exhausted even, and I couldn't run further or my heart would explode like a time-bomb, a ticking time-bomb...tick, tick, tick, tick. So when I looked over my shoulder, the last thing I expected to see was the boy I thought I ruined everything with.

And the last thing I expected him to do was embrace me in his arms. The arms that whenever I was in I felt so safe, yet so vulnerable. So happy, yet so sad. So peaceful, yet so very much at war on the inside. So as I wrapped my arms around him, a sob resounded through my body. He whispered comforting words in my ear. I didn't hear them over the sound of my own pounding pulse, but when my heart-beat finally was slowly recovering it's steady thump, thump, thump, I heard him say the words, the four words I had been so excited to hear, had dreamed about hearing, yet had dreaded.



"I love you too.."



I looked up at him, my deep brown eyes showing conflicting emotions, his eyes showed so much pity, so much sympathy. I didn't know what to say, I didn't know what to do, I felt so elated. Yet I felt so horrible, so dreadful, so sickeningly cursed...I felt trapped. I turned away. I took his arms away from my body and I walked forwards, and I did what I did best. I disappeared into the fog, rain and shadows and...



I ran away...

© Copyright 2012 Among-the-Moon-and-Stars (umadbro2018 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1868658-In-the-Rain