*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877757-AMYS-FREEDOM
Rated: ASR · Other · Emotional · #1877757
My sister's freedom from a 20 year coma. In her words, as I feel they may have been.
AMY'S FREEDOM

Amy’s been lying in the same bed now for 20 years.  Comatose, declared brain deadat 21 years of age, after an overdose of drugs that took her away from us and into a world that none of us could ever know.

Hello, who are you?  What have you come in my room for?  There are so many people who come in my room and I never know what they’re going to do next.  Some come in and check my blood pressure and temperature.  Some come in and take my blood.  Some come in and I think they’re feeding me, because after they leave I feel like I’ve just eaten something, but I never see any food.  There are even people who come in my room just to watch my TV or to pray over me.  It’s confusing to me, because I talk to them and they don’t seem to hear me.

What happened?  Where’s everybody I know?  I haven’t seen anybody I know in a long time.  They used to come in my room, but not anymore.  My Dad was here every day I think, but he doesn’t come anymore.  He always came and rubbed lotion on my arms and legs; exercised my limbs; made the people put me in a chair to sit up.  Why doesn’t he come anymore?  My Mom even came in my room a long time ago, but not anymore.  Why not?  Could somebody tell me where they are?

Where are my brothers and sisters?  I remember them coming in my room before.  They always cried when they came in my room.  I tried to tell them not to cry.  I tried to tell them a lot of things, but they didn’t seem to hear me either.  I wanted to thank them for the music they left for me.
I’m so tired these days.  I hurt now too.  It’s a different kind of hurt than when they move me into the chair.  It’s a hurt inside that I try to tell them about, but no one can hear me.  I’m just getting more and more tired.  I just want to go to sleep now and never wake up.  Why not, nobody I know comes to see me anymore.

Where am I now?  This isn’t my room and these aren’t the people who come in my room.  These people are different.  I’m getting more tired and these people just keep bothering me.  Why won’t they just leave me alone to sleep?  When I sleep now, I see so many people in my dreams that I’ve missed for so long.  I see my Mom, my Dad, Grand Mom, and Grand Pop.  My dreams are so peaceful these days.

There’ve been so many people in my room with me talking to me, but I don’t know them.  They say they’re my brothers & sisters.  They almost look like them and even sound like them, but they’re so much older now.  I’m confused.

Where are we going?  We’re going on a boat ride?  Cool!  Will you let me out of this box?

I’m not in the box anymore!  I’m not in a bed anymore!  I’m swimming in the ocean!  I’m flying!

I’m free!


COUNT: 534
© Copyright 2012 Lady Dee (aken1456 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877757-AMYS-FREEDOM