*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1924470-Loss-of-wings--Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: XGC · Other · Other · #1924470
Let's meet the Characters!
Chapter one

I remember the first time I saw him.

He leaned against the bus stop pole, absently pulling his fingers through his black hair. His clothing consisted of a black wife beater, hip hugging black skinny jeans with skulls and little safety pins of different colors. He has blue ear-buds in, and I can hear the beat of what he was listening to. He is looking out into the street; his gaze is interested in nothing.

My eyes, of their own violation, celebrate drifting back to him. I am a sucker for a clean cut, all American boy, you know the type, the boy next door... but this man standing less than 5 feet away from me make me feel like I need to be closer to him. I glance at the tattoos that run from his fingertips to his shoulders. I’m sure every piece of art on his arms has meaning.

Then, to my surprise, he looks at me. His eyes bore into mine. I stare back at him. I notice that his eyes are such an untainted color of blue that I am sure that they are contacts. He grins; it’s more of a half-smile... lopsided I guess. He looks away and moves toward the corner away from the bus stop, and I let myself follow him. I have to know his name.

He maintains a pace, slow and steady, so that following him is not as hard as I first thought it would be. His long muscular legs carry him gracefully down the cracked pavement as we head into the southern district.

Suddenly, he stops, turns and advances on me

"Leave him now. He is not good for you." He whispers, his voice thickly accented, and longing stirred in me.

"Who?" I ask, in a rushed whisper.

"Kenet." He pushed his hand into my hair and ran his fingers through it.

"Do I know you?" I ask, the feeling of De-Ja- Vue coming over me, as if I had seen him somewhere before. Almost like a dream. He sadly shakes his head and touches my cheek with his fingertips.

And with that, he is gone, as fast as lightening. I look around, trying to find him, but he is really gone. I turn and slowly walk back to the bus stop. I stand there and wait. I glance around me and from the corner of my eye, I think I see him, but it is only my mind playing tricks on me. I climb on the bus as it finally makes its appearance, and head home.

For days after the encounter, I look at Kenet and see nothing of what I use to see. I recall his looks when I first started dating him. His hair is blond and short, he retains it parted on the left, he doesn't have any ink or piercings, and he works as a mortgage specialist. He listens to classical music, he does nothing of interest to me.

He really is boring...

During the next week I notice that Kenet more up my ass than usual. He follows me to work, not walks with me, he follows behind me. It has me a bit worried that he's going off the deep end. He won’t let me go anywhere without him. He really is getting on my damn nerves. I just want to have a bit of alone time away from him, maybe go hang out with the girls. But he never gives an inch. That's how this all started.

It all starts with a fight between us. We are high school sweethearts, but even the high school girl in me is pissed. I am packing my belongings one day before he returns home from work.

He came in earlier than I expected, and saw what I was doing. His face turned a color of red that looks purple. He rushed towards me and pulled the box out of my arms.

"Where the FUCK do you think you’re going?" He spat at me, throwing the box across the room.

"I'm leaving Kenet. I can't be in this environment anymore. You control my every move, you watch me everywhere I go, you even cut your hours at work so that you can freaking watch me when I don't go to work. I am a grown woman, and you can't tell me what to do anymore. We are done."

"The fuck we are. I decide when we are done. And you will not walk out the door whole. I dare you to try." His brown eyes had a strange tint to them, almost red.

"Kenet, you have to let me go."

"Or what?"

"Or, how will you know we were meant to be together."

"I already know, you dumb bitch."

"Yeah, because calling me a bitch is really showing your love for me. I'm gone. So gone. Don't bother trying to find me." I push past him, headed for the door. I hear a screech, and turn to see that it came from him.

"DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE, YOU FUCKING CUNT!!!!" His face was now the color of ripe grapes and his eyes were glowing red. This was the moment I had been in fear of.

I have gone completely crazy... that is the only way I can explain this. He charges toward me, gripping my arm.

"Stop, you're hurting me!" I shout, his grip only getting tighter. My left arm is beginning to go numb now.

"I told you that you wouldn't leave whole. I'm taking this arm with me." He slithered in my ear.

I looked at his face, and thought I saw black nubs on his forehead, I shook my head, and they were gone.

"Kenet, let go..." I plead, my arm turning purple.

Suddenly, I am plastered to the wall on the other side of the hall way, a man in black between us. Kenet quickly regains himself and turns and walks into our apartment... I mean his apartment.

I look up into the eyes of the man who saved me from Kenet, and I see blue. Then, I pass out.



© Copyright 2013 Rebecca Rage (rebeccarage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1924470-Loss-of-wings--Chapter-1