*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958361-Six-Inches-Of-Salvation
by MM
Rated: 18+ · Other · Nonsense · #1958361
Just a little thing I've been writing, just sort of inspired by the title. Unfinished
My Firebird sped down the interstate, my passenger an UZI and a duffel bag full of magazines and handguns. The streetlights shot past me as I rocketed down the empty road in the loud Pontiac V8, cigarette dangling from my lip. I caught my reflection in the rearview and saw the nasty, mean, dirty son of a bitch I had become. My head was uncleanly shaved, with a couple tufts of hair sticking out here and there, and a gash running horizontally just below my eye that had scabbed up. Funny what an afternoon can really do to a guy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up late that day to drive to a job I hate in a car that I hate to arrive late so I could get fired for being late. . So much hate for such a milquetoast guy. As I left the credit agency I noticed my Ford Festiva next to a muscle car that was about as cool as cool could get, at least that was my own personal opinion. A polished black 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am.

"Like it?"

I spun around to see a Mohawk-ed, sunglasses wearing, leather jacket clad, cigarette smoking 20 something.

"Yeah. No...I love it man. It's even got the bird on it."

"What're you driving?"

I pointed towards my Ford POS. A thoroughly normal car. Boxy, goofy looking, practical. All that lame stuff.

"Wanna trade?"

I wonder what's wrong with the Pontiac, I wondered. I mean, that's a little too good to be tru-

"Deal"

My mouth acted before my brain did.

I drove around the city in my new ride. Portland had small, cramped streets, unaccommodating to my new muscle car, but it wasn't like I was going anywhere at 8AM unemployed, at least not in a hurry. I finally gave up looking for room to really try out the power and decided to head back home.

I pulled into my driveway to see Shelley standing at the door dumbfounded. She had a heart that could stomach all of my quirks and fuckups, eyes that could stop a bear, hair as soft as down, and a rack that could stun a man in his tracks. When Iooked at her I knew she was disappointed, but I also knew she'd forgive me soon enough, and help me through this tough time in my life. She always knew how to make a man feel needed, but strong enough to get the job done when he needed help. She was the most understanding person I knew, and-

"What the fuck Tom? What is with this car? You know what, I don't even care about the car. I don't even care anymore. Larry called and said you were late again! He's given you so many breaks. I can't believe this. You've embarrassed me to my own uncle, and he says your done. You know what? So are we."

She stomped up to the car and pulled the ring worth two Gs off her finger.

"And here! Take your fucking god damn engagement ring because I won't be needing it." she said, hurling it into my passenger side window. Her strawberry blonde hair swung about. She was really quite beautiful when she was so angry she broke off a six month engagement.

She slammed the door to the apartment shut so hard I swear I could have heard a shockwave from a sonic boom.

I sat in my car, unmoving, for about a minute, until I slowly brought the key to ignition, a motion that apparently required all of my strength as I swung my whole body upward slightly to complete the task. I sighed and pulled out of the parking lot, figuring I'd grab my gaming rig later, when my shit was slightly more together.

I decided to look around the vehicle as I drove around the red-light-heavy streets, happening upon a pack of cigarettes in the glove box. Nice, brightly contrasting colors lit up the packaging. I pulled a single king size cigarette out of it and eyed it. It had been a decade since I'd had a smoke.

Five cigarettes later I finally decided on a destination.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


© Copyright 2013 MM (morris-marlowe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958361-Six-Inches-Of-Salvation