*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971628-Ravens
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1971628
A girl can predict a person's time of death by seeing ravens that other people can't.
  I never liked ravens - the dark-colored, feathered, squeaking creatures that represent death.



  When I was just a little girl, I was absolutely terrified by ravens. They were everywhere, flapping their wings of feathers, screaming their short cacophonous melodies, and standing on people's shoulders. Some are as dark as the darkest corner of a winter night; some, a bit transparent, are like the bass note of a chord, waiting for the crescendo.



  I never "learned" what the ravens meant; I just knew it all along. When a raven stands on a person's shoulder, that person ought to die within a day. The more visible the raven, the sooner death comes upon. I followed those who had ravens on their shoulders - those who eventually got ran over by a car, or drawn in the shallowest swimming pool, or chocked by a piece of waffle, or all kinds of ways, no matter bizarre or not, died within 24 hours.



  My observations were never mistaken, except for once. It was the morning of my mother's voyage to a foreign country, when I found a raven standing upon my mother's left shoulder. At that time, my four-year-old self couldn't manage to explain my ability of precognition. The raven, the raven...



  "What raven?" My mother and my elder sister looked at me in a weird way. I cried and screamed, begging my mom not to leave.



  Though confused, my mother still took her bag, hugged my elder sister, waved goodbye at me, and left. One week later, she returned safe and sound, and raven-free. I never knew why my mother was safe, maybe because I procrastinated her; whatever the reason was, I didn't care, because she came back to us unharmed.



  I never told anyone about the ravens, not even my elder sister. Growing up together, we were very competitive to one another - if she had a new dress, then I'd have to buy a prettier one; if I scored higher in a test, then she'd study hard to beat me in the next. We came very close to each other in all competitions, formal or not, and that was until we fell in love with the same boy in school.



  Chris was the most handsome boy in class. Almost every girl fell for him, but in the end it all came down between my sister and me. Our outstanding grades and our fine looks quickly eliminated everyone else. However, days went by and our distinct personalities started to show in daylight. Soon, the game wasn't neck-to-neck anymore - Chris started to prefer my sister to me.



  "Do you want to go to the mall with me?" It was two days before Chris birthday, when my sister asked me to go shopping with her. She obviously just wants to check out what I'm buying for him. However, on a second thought, I get to see what she's buying for Chris too. "Sure," I replied.



  We made our way down to the shopping mall, and window-shopped for a while. When we walked pass an electronics store, I saw the perfect gift I could give to Chris - a pair of earphones. My sister detected the change in my walking pace, "you like the pair of earphones?"



  I nodded. "Yes, I...uh...I think it suits me quite well." I didn't want her to know these earphones were for Chris, but my stuttering sold me out.



  "Well, why don't I get us some ice cream while you pay for these," said my sister. As I watched her silhouette disappeared in the corner, I quickly grabbed these earphones, "wrap them please," I said to the salesclerk, "and be quick."



  After we finished our ice cream, we headed towards the exit of the mall. How come she didn't buy anything for Chris? I glanced at my sister nervously. "I need to go to the bathroom," she suddenly stopped right at the exit, "can you hold my bag for me?"



  "Sure." I took over her bag. Right when she walked into the bathroom door, I opened her bag and started searching. There it is! A gift box! I opened the gift box cautiously without damaging the package...it's a watch! I suddenly started to feel stupid about my gift. How can a pair of earphones compete with an expensive watch? I quickly put everything back to normal into the bag; and as I watch my sister walked towards me, I froze. "Are you ok?" She gently took her bag from my hand.



  Staring at the raven on her shoulder, I replied, "Everything's perfectly fine."



  During our way home, I kept a distance from her. I didn't want her cause of death to affect me. Her raven is quickly blackening, and I never felt so satisfied. With her death, I will be able to have Chris all to myself.



  The raven started to squeak; to me, it sounds like a harmonic melody. Death should be upon her any minute - perhaps when we cross this road. "You can cross the road first," I kneeled down and said to my sister, "my shoe lace is loose, I need to tie it. You can go ahead, I'll catch up."



  "Are you sure?" My sister asked, emotionless.



  "Yes, I'm sure." staring at the pitch-black raven, I just wanted my sister away from me when she dies.



  She sighed. "I love you," she paused, "you know that right?"



  "I know, I know," I said without even noticing her weird tone, "just go ahead first."



  She looked at me for a while, patted on my shoulder, and started to walk across the street. I watched her with a grin on my face.



  Half way through the street, she turned around and looked at me dead in the eyes, "it didn't have to end like this," she shouted.



  A race car suddenly rushed across the red light and headed towards my sister. This is it! This is her death! "Watch out!" I yelled heartlessly, knowing that yelling is pointless now. However, the car quickly steered away and went around my sister. I realized the raven on my sister's shoulder was gone! People on the sidewalk started to scream; but the screaming was covered by the loud squeak right next to my ear from the black creature on my shoulder, exactly where my sister patted.



  The race car steered towards me.



© Copyright 2014 Beige C. (qiaoalice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971628-Ravens