*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993553-Promise
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1993553
A story for the Magic Words Contest.
The cerulean sky interspaced between the white flocculent clouds spoke of a supreme pulchritude. Nature presented herself in a picturesque array of colors. Beneath the vibrant hues lay a cottage, cozy and a bit old-fashioned. It was a lovely , sunny morning in Warwickshire and mellow sunbeams filtered through the windows of the room in which Robert slept. It was a Sunday morning and as usual Robert was planning to go outside and play. He had been chided vigorously by his parents the last night for the fact that he was inattentive and securing low grades in school. He hated Mathematics and it was like a demon for him. He loved English Literature and got enchanted with the poems of the romantic poets like William Wordsworth, John Keats, P.B. Shelley, Lord Byron and so on. He was a lover of Nature and the melodious songs of the skylarks intoxicated him. He loved to dream of beautiful, sylvan fairies hovering with their gossamer wings.

Rachel , his mother, hollered from the next room to arouse him and complete the assignments due after doing his daily chores.
Robert grumbled," It’s Sunday Mom. Won’t I get a day off from my monotonous life?"
“Stop talking gibberish.You are a lousy malingerer.”

Jack , his father, scolded in a grim voice, “ We are really ashamed of you. Look at the other mates of your class. Every year they come off with flying colors. I can’t show my face to Andy . His son has secured the first grade and the esteemed “Student of the Year “ award. I was not like you when I was at your age. You are tarnishing my image Robert."

Pain and anger made his fair cheeks ruddy and with tears streaming down he fled from the room and slammed the door behind him. Rachel and Jack shouted back,” Where are you going, you stupid boy?”

Robert was out of their earshot and their rebuke seemed to affect no one. Filled with deep agony he strode in the woods and ambled in the glade. After a while he found an empty bench and to give rest to his tired legs , plonked on it. A rustle of the leaves from behind startled him. His eyes scoured but found no one. Must be some foolish mistake , he thought. All on a sudden cold gusts began to blow and Robert almost froze to death. The twigs, sprigs and dried leaves of rusty color scattered everywhere and,he found it difficult when one almost entered his eye. He began twitching his eyes to scrape off the grit. He rubbed his eyes violently and finally got rid of it.

A grim looking man with a green face and long white, flowing, silky hair appeared before him. Little Robert got horrified at his abrupt presence and his pixie-ears astonished him"
"What are you doing here, you young fellow?” The quaint man quizzed in a grating voice.

Robert stuttered, “I,just was sitting here……” His voice trailed off. With furrowed eyes he pried a look at the queer man and wondered at his strange presence. He thought of the chivalry of the knights that he had read in his books of fairy tales that formed a chunk of the library in his house and bucked up and said with a low voice,” I don’t know you. Who are you if I may ask?”

The man chortled and replied with gruffness, “ I am Ribalde, the King of Estyium."

“What is Estyium and where is it? I have never heard of it in my history books.” Robert mumbled.
“ Before asking any further you must grovel before me .” The domineering man ordered.
“ Okay Sir.” Robert assented and bowed before him.

“ Now come with me. Ribalde ushered Robert toward a glen. Robert looked at it agape. He had never seen this place before. He stretched the strings of his memory hard enough to glean any semblance but in utter futility. He got perplexed and his mind traveled through the labyrinths of the mazes as he contemplated on his vicissitude and the ruse that he got embroiled in .He looked at the coniferous trees lining the slant edge of the valley and the glossy, plush leaves of the myrtle. The white flowers of the myrtle seemed to smile at him and he salivated when he saw the purple-black ,oval berries. He was feeling very hungry and thirsty. He licked his parched lips to make them moist. Unable to repress any more , he touched one berry and Ribalde grabbed his arm.

“ Don’t touch anything here, young lad. This is my precious Estyium.” The man said in an overbearing manner.
“ I want a sip of water, Sir.” Robert almost quivered.
“ I’ll let you do that my child.” Ribalde uttered with a seemingly compassion in his voice.
“ Look over there, son.” Ribalde pointed toward a placid lake just five feet from where they were standing.
Robert dashed toward the calm lake and drank gallons of water.
“ Now come with me.” Ribalde held his hand with his squat fingers.
The dazzling luster of the crystal palace befuddled Robert.
“ Welcome to my Estyium.” Ribalde hailed him to the four guards standing in front of the gate.
“ Hail to you Robert.” Ribalde said.
“ You know my name?” Robert gawked.
“ Yes. Now no more questions.” Ribalde said.
“ Okay.” Robert paused.

Robert entered inside and awed by the crystal chandeliers, crystal walls and the crystal throne of the King with a scarlet,paisley cushion on the crystal seat .

"You are feeling hungry? Arent’ you?” Ribalde asked with an impassioned voice.
Robert nodded feebly. Lassitude now gripped his whole body and made it limp.
“ Where are you Christo?” Ribalde questioned.

An odd-looking fair man came . He had the same type of pixie ears but his hair was black.
“ What can I do for you my Lord?” The man asked while gazing at Robert.
“ Bring some delicious food for Robert. The poor boy has almost been starved to death.”
“ I will Sir.” Christo agreed and left.

After a while Christo brought a golden plate with food piled in it and a golden glass full to the brim.
Robert ate the most scrumptious meal in his life and drank the liquid which tasted like ambrosia. He had never had a more wonderful experience than this and he reveled in that.
“ Have you had a nice lunch?” Ribalde asked tenderly.
Robert skipped and squealed,"The most splendid one in my life, Sir!”
“ Don’t call me Sir, son. Call me Dad.”
“ Why?” Robert questioned with astonishment swimming in his eyes.
“ I’ll explain to you.” Ribalde smiled lovingly and Robert goggled at him.

“ Esmeralda, where are you? Please come here soon. Our son, Roberta has come back!”
“ Oh really? Is it true? How can it be possible?” A female voice answered with ebullience and surprise in her voice.
“ Come fast and you will see.”

A pretty woman wearing a white silky gown with lacy, white frills came and said “ Oh Roberta! Didn’t you miss your mom? How could you do this to me, son? I pined for you for the last seven years.” The woman said with tears of joy welling up in her hazel, almond-shaped eyes.
Robert was bewildered.” But my name is Robert and not Roberte, My Lady.”
“ Oh no! What has happened to you Roberta? Did that war kill your memory too?”

Robert paused. He was flustered.
Esmeralda now held him with her gentle, smooth fingers and nudged at him.
“ You are our son, Roberte. We missed you once but we won’t let you go again. You are our life and blood, Roberte.”
Ribalde and Esmeralda chorused and then began to cuddle him.
Being pampered with so much love that he had always wanted but never got in his life Robert finally said with quivering lips,” I have come back to you , Mom and Dad. I’ll never go without you and this is my promise.” With this Robert cried and hugged them tight.

Prompt: words both from lists1 and 2
Word count
1362

© Copyright 2014 Koyel~writing again (koyel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993553-Promise