*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086414-The-Tail-of-Two-Kitties-Part-two
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2086414
Children's story about two cats in an abandoned castle. Part two - Muesli shows the way
In last instalment of “A Tail of Two Kitties” we met Scally and Wag, two kitties that live in an abandoned castle. They had for quite some time wondered what was up on top of the castle’s tall towers.

As Scally was doing his chores an eagle landed nearby him and started honking. He asked the eagle why it was making that noise and the eagle explained it had eaten a goose and the goose’s voice box got stuck in its throat, thus every now and then the eagle would start honking like a goose.

When Scally asked the eagle what was up the top of the tower he was told about a lake of cream. He politely requested for the eagle to take him up to have a look (opting to leave his brother Wag behind).

So up they went but when the eagle landed and Scally got off there was no cream to be seen anywhere. The Eagle just laughed and flew off leaving Scally up there with no way of getting back down again.

So let’s get on with the story…

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tears swelled in Scally’s eyes as the eagle took off and flew away, leaving him all alone on the top of the tower with no way of getting back down again. He stood mewing and crying his little heart out, but no one seemed willing to come to his rescue.

“Oh dear, what a Pickle I have gone and got myself into,” blubbered Scally shivering as a nasty southerly breeze chilled him. “Wag is going to be ever so cross when he finds out. He’s warned me time and time again not to talk to strangers.”

Despite Wag’s laid back carefree personality he was not the sort one would care to upset. He was very much used to getting his own way and Scally had more than once been on the receiving end of his claws…and oh how they smarted. Fendleton the raven describe it as sibling rivalry whilst Tweet the Nightingale said Wag was a horrid bully. Scally agreed with Tweet but there was little he could do about it.

“Poor little kitty on the tower top,” said a wee voice seemingly from nowhere “careful where you step or you will surely drop.”

“Who said that?” asked Scally between sobs struggling to focus his teary eyes. He looked around in all directions but could not see anything. “Is that you, (sob) you nasty, Geagle/eagle/ whatever the heck you are?”

“I am not any of those things. I am me…they call me Muesli.”

“How come I can’t see you?”

“You are looking up to high, I’m down here.”

Scally strained his eyes harder and could just make out what could either be a black and white mouse or a white and black mouse. He really could not tell. He had never heard a mouse talk before. Most of the mice he had seen around the castle were too busy running away from Wag and him to ever strike up much of a conversation.

“Mmmm you look a tasty treat.”

“Are you going to eat me?”

“I…I don’t know. My brother Wag says mice are for eating, not for talking to.”

“So why are you talking to me?”

“Cause I’ve got no one else to talk to.”

“If you promise not to eat me I could show you the way down without having to jump or have to fly on the back of an eagle.”

What choice did Scally have? If he ate or ignored the mouse’s offer, chances were he would never get back down. It was doubtful Wag would hear him all the way up on the tower no matter how loud he meowed.

“Okay Muesli…but please don’t tell Wag you helped me.”

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t even think of going near him.”

Feeling a little calmer now, Scally followed Muesli though a gap in the tower’s stone wall which he was just able to squeeze through. The two then ventured along a very dark passageway that led to a large room. The furniture within was covered in cobwebs giving the impression that no-one had lived there for quite a considerable time.

“Smells musty?” noted Scally.

“Quite” agreed Muesli, absently twitching his nose, and then pointed to the far left of side of the room with one of his front paws “You see that wooden door over there?”

“Yes”

“Behind it is a corridor. Head left and you’ll come across a stairway leading to the bottom of the tower.”

“You’re not coming with me?”

“Sorry Scally, I have to be getting on with something, so I’ll bid you farewell and wish you good luck.”

Scally thanked and bid farewell to the mouse. He found the door a little challenging, but managed to finally push it open after a lot of effort, and then headed left along the corridor that seemed to stretch on forever

Finally he came upon what looked to be a set of stony stairs. Heeding Muesli’s advice he descended with extreme caution. There was little in the way of light and his surroundings dimmed. Then it got dark. Then it got dark-dark, and then it got dark-dark-dark.

The stairs now started spiralling downwards and Scally had no other option than to quicken his pace in order to keep his balance. Caution gave way to misplaced confidence and he stated to take needless risks, leaping down two or three steps at a time then just as he thought that he was home, free so to speak, the stairs suddenly disappeared from beneath his front paws.

Down he dropped into the pitch-black abyss. Down-down-down, falling faster and faster; desperately clawing at mid-air as he summersaulted towards an unknown end...


Oh dear! Poor little kitty, what is to become of him?

Be sure to read the next exciting instalment of

“A Tail of Two Kitties”
© Copyright 2016 lezismore-moreislez (peterelbee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086414-The-Tail-of-Two-Kitties-Part-two