*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128124-Tale-of-Jalla
by Medjay
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2128124
In Ancient South India, Jalla must defeat the evil Prince, Pandayan II.
Please read:



Glossary:
Uses Tamil/Hindi words, but will correct to Tamil.
Uses fantasy elements.
Vari vacūlippavar - Tamil word for Tax collector
Brahmin - Priests very much like the European sense.
Raja - King.
Guru - Guru (Sanskrit: गुरु. IAST: guru) is a Sanskrit term that connotes someone who is a "teacher, guide, expert, or master" of certain knowledge or field.[1] In pan-Indian traditions, guru is someone more than a teacher, traditionally a reverential figure to the student, with the guru serving as a "counselor, who helps mold values, shares experiential knowledge as much as literal knowledge, an exemplar in life, an inspirational source and who helps in the spiritual evolution of a student." The term also refers to someone who primarily is one's spiritual guide, who helps one to discover the same potentialities that the gurus already realized.

Uses Tamil/Hindi words, but will correct to Tamil.
Uses fantasy elements.
Vari vacūlippavar - Tamil word for Tax collector
Brahmin - Priests very much like the European sense.
Raja - King.
Tamil words:
Kirīṭam - Crown.
Solider - Cippāy, Vīrarkaḷ
Royal Court - Rāyal nītimaṉṟam, Araca nītimaṉṟam
Naga - Snake.
Guru - Guru (Sanskrit: गुरु. IAST: guru) is a Sanskrit term that connotes someone who is a "teacher, guide, expert, or master" of certain knowledge or field.[1] In pan-Indian traditions, guru is someone more than a teacher, traditionally a reverential figure to the student, with the guru serving as a "counselor, who helps mold values, shares experiential knowledge as much as literal knowledge, an exemplar in life, an inspirational source and who helps in the spiritual evolution of a student." The term also refers to someone who primarily is one's spiritual guide, who helps one to discover the same potentialities that the gurus already realized.




It was said that in a time of ancient splendour and wonder, that the Chola Empire ruled. Prince Pandayan II had wreaked havoc on the world. His armies devastated lands, and he quickly became a tyrant. And in that time, in a small village down in the deep south of Bharata, a Brahmin walked through the forest. The winds had dampened his mood, his back ached, his legs unable to carry him after walking from Madurai to his hometown, Malla. In those days, roads were only constructed in cities, whereas villagers still suffered from dirt bound roads. The Brahmin groaned.

How long Shiva? How must I travel to Malla? Mother will be waiting for me!

The Brahmin walked a little further, before resting his exhausted legs on the rocks. As he began to relax, a beautiful voice of a maiden sang out into the air. The Brahmin distraction’s made him follow the melodious voice. Advancing to the river stream, he saw a pond. His eyes widened. It was if he was in a dream. These were ladies bathing, their gold and jewelry dispensed on the grass. The sun gleamed on them. The ladies splashed, with their tiny waists. Their arms were like the fine branches of a healthy tree. He could see their bodies, shying himself at their chests, covered with white cloth.

The woman with the beautiful voice began to sing once more. The Brahmin was enthralled with the woman, who wore a delicate rosebud on her hair. He felt a stirring inside of him, his lust and emotions begging to come out. The Brahmin suppressed his feelings like all young men did at his time. I will wait until she is done. The Brahmin sat down on the rock and waited. He waited for another hour. And another hour. Her singing and playing did not stop. Finally, she stopped at the end. The Brahmin waited until she was drying herself.
Ah! I shall persuade her. That way she won’t see I am coming!

The Brahmin smashed a rock into his legs, wincing. He cut his hands, blood flooding. That wasn’t a good decision I made! Better get to her fast. He walked up to the beautiful maiden. ‘Please, I need shelter…I was attacked by a tiger!’
The maiden took him and sat him down next to the tree, gesturing to her friends. ‘A tiger did this to you Brahmin?’
The Brahmin quickly nodded. The maiden began to look suspicious, inspecting the hands and legs of his body. Suddenly he began to feel a growing admiration from the maiden’s mind. She finds me attractive! Ha! Convinced he had it in the bag, he began to groan louder. The maiden did not look impressed. ‘If you say you were attacked by a tiger, your face would be scarred by now. You either inflicted the injuries yourself, or some bandits attacked you.’
Ah! She must not discover my trick! Quick!

The Brahmin replied. ‘Yes, I was attacked by bandits…’ his voice trailed away.
The Maiden laughed, soothing his soul. ‘If you really were attacked by bandits, why did you cause the injury to yourself?’
However, did she find out? This is impossible! I have special powers…but she is pretty…
The Brahmin tried to duck the question. ‘Whatever do you mean? I was attacked by bandits.’ Though the giggling of the ladies caused him to spurt out the truth.

One lady said. ‘He’s quite handsome isn’t he?’
Another lady tutted. ‘Not as handsome as my lover is!’

The Maiden stared at him with an annoyed glance. ‘I saw you ogling me. And I saw you doing it. We women see more than men do.’
The Brahmin chuckled nervously. I’ve been caught! Help me, Shiva! ‘I…er…’
The Maiden asked him one question that would remain for the rest of his life. ‘Why are you here?’
The Brahmin replied in such a way that the beautiful women would become his wife forever. ‘I will be honest. I fell in love with you. You are beautiful, graceful and stunning. I would want to spend my life with you only.’
The Maiden regarded him slowly and then nodded. ‘That is fine, even you too are quite handsome. But first, we must get to know each other. Will you agree to that?’ she asked.

The Brahmin nodded eagerly. ‘Yes! Yes!’
The Maiden laughed, before slapping him. ‘That’s for lying to me. Relationships aren’t built on lies.’ She kissed his cheek. ‘But we can get to know each other.’

The Brahmin lay loves worn. Over the years, they began to know each other. They would meet up and romance in the gardens of jasmine and lilies, often escaping the eye of their parents. Their parents would approve, except the Brahmin’s journey to Madurai often caused him to leave her away. But the beautiful women had been blessed by Mata Parvati, who told her that her husband would come in the form of a Brahmin.

And it was at that time, that Jalla was born. A mischievous child, he messed everything around the village. Once he put seeds onto the sarpanch’s bottom as he slept. The chickens chased him throughout day and night. The other day he caused a great elephant roar, which was just his pet elephant doing the job. Jalla was sent by his mother to the great mountain Ashram of Mana, where Rishi Vaneshwasawagarm, taught him the art of warfare and balance, and Jalla became a great and wise man, attacking mountains of asuras and enemy soldiers, trekking great mountains. It was said he was to be immortalized in the legends of history!
Jalla laughed at the children that had been listening eagerly to his story of how his parents had met. A child asked him. ‘So is that true then? Did your father really meet her in the forest?’

Jalla nodded. ‘Of course beta! They did.’

One of the children began to disapprove. ‘That’s a lie! Actually, it was Jalla’s father causing mischief, and then she slapped her.’
Jalla hushed the girl. ‘Keep quiet! Do you want me to tell your mama?’

The girl giggled. ‘No uncle Jalla, but you are quite a bore!’ she said, running and laughing.
Jalla huffed. ‘I am not boring.’ The other kids began to laugh. ‘Oh suit yourself. Now go play!’ he said walking to the stone arched house in the center of the village. A lingam lay at the center, while shops and bazaars surrounded the outer realms. It was a quiet and peaceful place. His mother smiled, having not lost her beauty at all. ‘Are you telling them the same story I told you as a child?’
Jalla nodded. ‘Yes, ma, I am. Is there a problem this time?’

His mother laughed. ‘No beta, it is just that I always smile when you tell our story. Mind you your father was very naughty during that time…we did so many things under the sunlight…and the moon…’ she sighed, her tiny waist showing. She had not aged badly at all, for she was fifty-two. Jalla wondered how her mother was blessed with such radiant youth. Sometimes they mistook his mother for his wife. That was always an awkward thing to hear.

‘Ma!’ he said mocking her. ‘You know I don’t talk things about that so much.’
His mother replied, ‘Well…it has been four years since that woman left you. I don’t know what you saw in her.’
Jalla shook his head, remembering what had happened during the incident nearly four years ago. The women that he had proposed only saw him as a Brahmin. She had told him that when he became a Great Saint, only then would she marry him. Jalla, as naïve in his youth, believing it to be true, asked whether she’d still marry him.

She laughed, telling him she had no intention of doing it. That had happened four years ago in the capital city. Now Jalla resigned himself to the village, which was far easier to live in than a city.

His mother kept on watching him. ‘Still thinking about her then?’
Jalla dismissed her mother’s apparent ability to see the truth. ‘No…ma, I’ll just leave it be, shall we? Besides, what happened with Kuruvur and his daughter at the wedding?’

Her mother scoffed. ‘Your father was a very bad liar Jalla. I did not marry him to raise a liar. Anyway, it was your antics that caused his butt to glow with fire. Whose idea was that?’ She asked him.
Jalla tightened the ropes around the broken chair, before fixing his bow and arrow. ‘Must have been one of the villagers,’ he said, trying very hard not to show any emotion whatsoever.

His mother smiled. ‘You clearly wanted her. Why don’t you go and propose to her Jalla?’
Jalla mocked her. ‘You know I can’t do that. Kuruvur’s a beast!’
‘Then why did you cause the fire then?’ his mother grinned.

Soldiers entered the village, arriving in ranks. Each one of them lined up in the middle of the temple. A palanquin arrived held by four soldiers. The villagers gathered, before the village chief emerged from the crowd bowing. The palanquin’s royal turquoise curtains did not open until after four hours. The tax collector heaved himself onto the ground. ‘This journey has taken me far too long from Madurai. I’ve come to collect your taxes.’
The chief nodded. ‘Get the wheat! The gold coins we amassed.’ He said as the villagers brought the chests of gold and wheat onto the ground. The tax collector beamed with confidence. ‘Excellent! I am pleased with your work. In favor for your service, I will exempt you from the grain tax for three months.’
The chief replied happily. ‘Thank you, Vari vacūlippavar. It is my honor to send tribute to Madurai.’
While the villagers conversed with each other, he noticed a soldier forcing the tax upon the poorer people of the village. Jalla went towards him. ‘What do you think you are doing? Didn’t you hear the Vari Vaculippavar? We’ve been exempted from tax.’
The Tax Collector nodded. ‘The young man’s right. Leave him be solider!’

The soldier hissed. ‘These villagers are hiding more gold than we could have. I don’t care about this man. Nor do you. We will want to return with Madurai with far more than we could bring.’

The Tax Collector shook his head. ‘You are just a General that has accompanied himself with because of the King. Should the King discover your true intentions, you won’t last. There will come a day when in the future when this land is possessed by corrupt people. But for now, let us, the uncorrupt, rule.’

The General went and seized the Tax’s collector throat. But the Tax collector showed no sign of giving up. ‘Come on then. You think you can bribe me? I am loyal to the Empire, not to you. Prince Pandayan II can never come to the throne. You know we ministers are not bribe-able.’
The General fumed, throwing the Tax collector to the ground. Jalla went up and helped him. The General turned to him. ‘You dare challenge my authority boy? I will take you to Madurai myself.’

His mother slapped the General. ‘Leave him! He’s my son! You won’t touch him like this!’
The General retracted back. ‘Leave the mother. I will make an example of you boy. In front of the Prince, you’ll be nothing.’
Jalla punched the General to the ground. The soldiers surrounded him. Jalla threw his axe at a charging soldier. He kicked another soldier to the ground before launching fist punches at every soldier that came in front of him. Quickly they retreated. The General took his horse, mounting on it ran off into the distance.
The Tax Collector winced, having sustained a blood wound. Jalla went to him. ‘Go to Rishi Agastya’s shrine in the mountains. You will find a way to defeat the Prince. You must defeat him.’ The tax collector sighed with relief as the village’s physicians arrived to take him in the hut.
Jalla nodded. ‘I will.’

His mother objected fiercely. ‘No. I will not have my son leaving me. His father will go mad-’
The Chief raised his hand. ‘Vakuntala, you know just as well that the General serves the Prince’s interest. They will come back. We must begin our evacuation at once. Take the gold, the food supplies at once. We will rest at the stupas.’
The Chief turned to Jalla. ‘You must go now.’
Jalla turned to his mother, and touched her feet. ‘Give me your blessings so I may be victorious.’
****

The Guru meditated, his eyes closed. A fly buzzed in the air. The snow howled outside the cave, as the fire burned in the small wooden ceramic box. He muttered, ‘Om Bhumneveshar, om…phrrhpt!’ he spat as the fly touched his nose. The Guru arose in fury. ‘Leave at once before I curse you to the ends of the earth!’

The fly quickly buzzed away. The Guru sighed and once again meditated peacefully.
The hiss of a snake penetrated his ears. The Guru quickly began to chant his mantra at the hope that the snake would go away. The snake continued to hiss. A howl of a mongoose screeched in the atmosphere as the Guru turned to the snake and mongoose in fury. ‘What do you want? Can you not see I am trying to attain Mukti, Liberation! Let me meditate in peace.’
The snake arose, unveiling its huge body. It hissed back. ‘You promised me I would get a wife! It’s been around ten months now and I haven’t got one. All the female snakes have rejected me!’

The Guru hummed, turning to the mongoose. ‘And what is your complaint?’
The Mongoose replied. ‘I’ve been beset by this elephant trying to claim its hold on my territory. He hasn’t left that swamp, and his farts are horrendous! The wise monkey told me to go to you.’

The Guru nodded, thinking deeply. ‘You made a big mistake snake. I will complain to the King of the Snakes about these transgressions-’
The snake trembled. ‘No! Please don’t! I am young and I have not experienced life’s pleasures!’
The mongoose smirked. ‘Go ahead. I’ll be happy to attack him when he’s done.’
The snake swirled towards the mongoose, towering over him. The mongoose only spat, laughing. ‘I’ll be happy to have you as an m-’
‘ENOUGH!’ The Guru roared, trembling towards the inner depths of the cave. ‘As far I am concerned, you two were humans in your past lives!’
The snake and the mongoose turned to face the Guru. ‘We were humans?’ the snake and the mongoose asked together. The Guru glanced at them. ‘You know I am not from this darthi, this world. I come from Mahar-Loka, the city of saints! I don’t know what fool it was that convinced me to stay in this world. I intend to go to Satyaloka, the Supreme regime of the entire universe! That is where only truth remains. Only immortality is granted. It’s not easy to go there.’
The mongoose asked. ‘So what does that have to do with me?’
The Guru smiled. ‘It means that I am not from this world! I am a different man, a man of high…proportions! Moving on, you two were enemies. You had wives, but they used to get fed up of your bickering’s. You will both meet your wives in animal form. But for that, you must wait.’
The snake turned its disgusted look towards the mongoose. ‘I can’t believe this lowly, leacher-type person was my enemy!’
The mongoose retorted. ‘And I can’t believe this snake was an enemy of mine!’
‘WILL YOU SHUT UP!??!!’ The roar of the Guru’s might trembled in the cave. ‘Leave your bickering! I can understand how your wives got so frustrated with you. There is but one way to break this curse. And apparently, the two of you insulted another saint.’
The Mongoose and the Snake gulped.
The Guru nodded. ‘Now let me get back to meditating. You two have a history of doing this. You two will be the last insulting any more Gurus when I tell you how to break your curse.’
****
Jalla shivered, walking up the dense mountain. The snow lay like a soft blanket, providing warm underneath the mountain, but cold on the outer interior. Why didn’t the Chief tell me that this Guru would be in Rishi Agyasta’s mountain! This one is cold! Too Cold! May Shiva bless me! I don’t think I can survive enough here. Continuing forward, his feet trudged through the snow. An arrow pierced the snow.
Jalla turned to see the Prince’s troops arriving. Horse archers and spearmen advanced to him. Jalla moved faster, trying to move himself in the thick dense snow. A horse archer fired, the arrow scraping his cloak. Jalla tried to move before the spearmen had caught up with him. One of them held Jalla. Prince Pandayan arrived, dismounting from his horse. Jalla started to look at the man, and was awed by him.
The Prince was hugely built, sporting a huge beard. His clothes were dark and orange, his crown golden. Pandayan grabbed Jalla’s neck, looking at him. ‘So this is the boy that challenged you General? He doesn’t seem like much to me.’

Jalla hissed. ‘When your soldiers ravage the land, loot us, what else can we do? Someone must stand up to you.’

Pandayan smirked. ‘The throne is more important for me. Do you know why? Because you control more power than you ever could. I have faithfully served the Empire for years, and have I not brought peace and control to a warring region?’ He unsheathed his sword as snow whipped around him. ‘This is the sword I took from my father when the Pandayan Emperordom existed.’ A wide mechanical grin etched onto his face. ‘But when the Cholas came, specifically your people, I switched sides. This sword…will finish you off just fine.’ Pandayan raised his sword, swinging it down.
A voice boomed from the distance. ‘Stop!’ Instantly a bolt of blue lightening hit the Prince. The Guru had emerged, standing tall. His huge beard covered his face, with his muscles disguised between his orange robes. The Guru held his hand, as lightening forms of energy formalised. They released out of his hand, enrobing themselves onto the spearmen, as they were unable to wriggle themselves out of the rings of energy that enwrapped them.
The Guru picked up Jalla, and took him back. The Prince, dazed tried to move. The Guru shot down a blaze of flaming energy. The Prince fell down. The Guru continued to take him into the cave, putting him in fire. Jalla had dozed off by now, sleeping. The Guru let his hands guide the fire to warm Jalla’s head. Sooner or later Jalla woke up to see a huge black snake and a grey haired mongoose looEmperor at him.
Jalla touched the feet of the Guru, folding his hands. ‘Thank you Esteemed Guru, are you the one I am seeEmperor?’
The Guru replied. ‘That depends on what you are looEmperor for. I only guide. I do nothing much really.’
Jalla turned to him, the Guru knew better than he did. Perhaps he could guide him.. ‘You defeated the Prince.’
The Guru shook his head. ‘I didn’t defeat him, I knocked out of his living daylights. Not many humans travel this far. Why have you come here?’
Jalla narrated his tale of the village, as the Snake and Mongoose listened with eager attention. The Guru listened and then replied. ‘There is only one way you will be able to defeat the Prince. You must go to the city and duel with him there.’
Jalla gulped. ‘The city? But I won’t be able to fend off any guards. I’ll be dead meat by the time I come there.’
The Guru nodded. ‘I will come with you. But you are on your own after that. A Guru guides, he does not fully enter your life until it is needed. The path, you will have to find on your own.’
Jalla sighed, sensing that his newfound Guru would be very slightly amusing. The Guru raised his hand, rising. The snake and the mongoose followed suit, as they entered in the dark depths of the cave. A light emerged, as Jalla’s eyes became blinded. A bast forest surrounded the city of Thanjauruvu. A squadron of eagles squawked into the sky, as mangroves made up the vast centre surrounding the walls that had trees and plants growing on them.
For seven days, the group followed under the guidance of the Guru, climbing through mountains, walEmperor through swamps, crossing the lake of storms for many hours, before finally arriving at the gates of Thanjauruvu. Jalla’s eye gaped. The city’s gates extended higher than he could ever imagine. Vast Temples arose out of the city like trees, while the huge palace stood higher than all the temples combined. The gate opened, as Jalla, the Guru entered. The snake and mongoose, had been turned into a dog and cat. The Guru optioned that that it would shut them up for the time being. Of course, that did not ring true as they navigated through the city’s markets.
****
From his balcony in the royal palace above, Prince Pandayn II watched the boy and the Guru entering the city. He grimaced, grinning. The boy had entered into his trap. When he killed the boy, he would make sure the entire village would be destroyed. Once that was done, then like a snake, he would kill the Emperor. Only then, would the Pandayan Emperordom be restored. He was after all, the most powerful man in the Empire.
His uncle frowned, a relic of the past. ‘Why do you seek conflict with that boy? He only defeated one of our soldiers! Nephew, you must understand, the Emperor must be killed. Not that boy.’
Pandayan raised his hand. ‘You don’t see the point. The boy could become a hero in front of the Emperor if he stays around too long. He wishes to kill me. But that boy…I have seen his eyes somewhere.’
His uncle laughed. ‘You think that boy is related to you? How?’
Pandayan stopped leaning, straightening his back. ‘I feel…as if it was a friend. A friend I had killed a long time ago. His name…what was his name…ah. Aruman.’ A wide grin spread on his face. ‘He intended to kill me after discovering my intentions. I had him finished. The boy…seems like he is related.’
His uncle shook his head. ‘You worry too much. Challenge the boy, and then kill the Emperor!’
‘No, doing so would constitute the end of your ambitions.’ Pandayan’s Guru appeared, wearing a suit of orange and black. He held a staff, while a snake slithered around his neck. A huge black beard surrounded his face, three white lines edged onto his face. He exercised far more caution than his student. ‘Challenge him, but co-erce him. Make him kill the Emperor. That way, we will not be blamed.’
Pandayan removed his clothes, extending his back, showing off his muscled body. ‘You are right, Guruji. I approve. We shall do that. Now, I must be getting back to my bath.’ He said, accompanied by his female servants. He turned to his uncle and guru. ‘Focus on the boy. I want my spies watching him. Inform me, when he is near the palace.’
His uncle and guru bowed, before leaving. Pandayan smirked, resting in the royal pool. The throne was now within his reach. He relaxed, as the females maids poured down coal into the pool.


Jalla sat gulping his wine in the restaurant, before walking over to his Guru who mediated under the banyan tree at the temple. The dog and cat, formally the snake and mongoose had been put to sleep. Jalla guessed his Guru was much smarter than he thought. And more mad. Jalla sat down next to him. The Guru mediated before a fly buzzed around him. The Guru kept his attention before announcing a loud sneeze, which caused the children playing around the temple to snicker and giggle.
Jalla asked. ‘The city isn’t made for you is it?’

His Guru sighed. ‘No, it isn’t. Now, I have a feeling that Prince Pandayan is coming. Whatever you do, do not mention me. I will guide you, but you must do the rest yourself.’
The Prince walked down the temple, surrounded by his advisers walking over to the young man. The Prince’s Guru followed along with him, smiling as he held a trident and a golden scroll. ‘Jalla of Thirkua, this is the man that defied my general, wasn’t it?’ Jalla saw the Prince turning to his general. I must follow my Guru’s orders! Wait, where he did go? The Prince sat down, clasping his shoulder. ‘Do not feel threatened by my presence. I was wrong to have attacked you because I thought you were going to kill me.’
It’s a good thing I haven’t finished the job, your highness.
The Prince raised his hand. ‘Rather, I have received information that the Emperor wants you hanged. For disobeying me, the punishment is certain death.’
Jalla reflected on himself for a minute. He knew that his Guru had told him not to say much, but he would not survive in this city if he did not follow the Emperor’s orders. ‘Then…what should I do?’
The Prince turned to his Guru. ‘My Guru here can guide you. This scroll is your future, and you have a bright one ahead of you. Tell me Guruji, what must be done to save Jalla?’
The Guru nodded, unveiling the scroll. ‘Jalla must battle with our glorious prince. He will lose the battle in favour to you, and the boy will kill the Emperor.’
The Prince clasped him tighter. ‘Excellent. I will take him to the rayal nītimaṉṟam then. Come with me.’
Jalla meekly nodded, unable to comprehend what had happened. Everything had just vanished in an instant. He looked and around and found no sign of his Guru nor his pets. Where are you Guruji? I need your help! He thought to himself as the Prince clasped his shoulder, forcing him to walk towards the palace.
****

Prince Panadayan bowed before the Emperor of the mighty Chola Empire. His Empress held his hand, as they sat seated on the high thrones. Two rows of ministers, one civilian and one military divided the court. Jalla stood with chains clasped onto his feet and hands. The Prince began. ‘Sire, I have found a man that was willing to kill you in your sleep. Instead of death, I decided to duel with him. Give me the opportunity to humiliate him.’

The Empress’s wife frowned. ‘He doesn’t look like a man that could kill my husband.’
Panadayan’s mind jerked. Stupid wretch! When I become Emperor you won’t be alive to question me like that! He smiled nervously. ‘He meant to threaten the Emperor, and anyone that dares to threaten our ruler will suffer the same fate,’ he said picking up confidence. ‘With your permission, your majesty.’

The Emperor nodded. ‘Go on then.’

The Prince smiled, before being handed two swords. Walking down the steps of the throne to the centre of the court, he gave one to Jalla. Raising his sword, he attacked. Jalla blocked him with his chains, kicking him down. Panadayan feigned a wound, walking slowly towards the Emperor backward. He went on the offensive, striking back at Jalla. Each move, each step was carefully calculated in Panadayan’s mind.
The clang of steel clashed, with Jalla desperately trying to defend back. You are a peasant, boy. I will see it to that you are humiliated. He pushed Jalla further and further towards the throne, aggressively attacking him. Swirling, his sword struck it out of Jalla’s hand. Jalla grabbed the sword before being turned. Jalla tried to stop himself, but it was too late. The sword reached the Emperor’s robes.
Panadayan fumed. ‘Traitor!’ he said, grabbing Jalla’s rotten tattered clothes. He ripped open the shirt, showing Jalla’s shirtless abs. Two or three courtesans giggled while the crowd looked in shock. Jalla could only feel shame flushing through his veins. The Emperor raised his hand. ‘Make sure he is hanged tomorrow.’

Panadayan smiled. ‘Of course, your majesty.’ He said, kicking Jalla to the ground.
****
Jalla fiddled with his chains inside the rotten cave. I’ve been a fool for thinking Panadayan had my best interests. He wants to kill the King. Guruji, I need you. Come with some special magic powers or something! He sighed, not knowing what to do. The doors creaked, as a guard walked down holding a plate of rotten bread. ‘Eat bastard, that’s what you deserve for trying to kill the Emperor.’ The guard did not spare Jalla, kicking him relentlessly.

A voice asked behind him. ‘Excuse me, is this where Jalla resides?’
The guard turned around, annoyed. ‘Yes it is, but what do you want…’ his voice trailed away. His hands trembled in fear. The huge snake stood in front of him. He ran, his voice screaming like a girl. Jalla’s mood heightened, feeling relief. ‘Snake! I am very happy to see you.’ The snake grunted. ‘Wait till you see what my kind does with you humans.’
Jalla raised his chains. ‘Do something about my chains!’ He said, before noticing the mongoose, the Guru and a beautiful woman wearing a blue and red sari appeared. ‘Guruji! Am I glad to see you.’

His Guru smiled. ‘Don’t think I abandoned you just like that. Panadayan’s Guru was too powerful for me to fully attack him. I disguised myself as a beggar and took the snake and mongoose. I found the Princess walking in the gardens, and I told her the story.’
Jalla nodded. ‘So you’ll be helping me then?’
The Princess laughed, before putting on a serious face. ‘Not helping, I am assisting you in making sure my father isn’t killed. And you should learn some manners when talking to royalty.’ She said as the mongoose loosened the chains.
Jalla let free of the broken chains and bowed. ‘I am sorry your highness. I will make sure next time that I address royalty with the proper customs,’ he said, mocking her. The Princess let out a flare of disgust before nodding towards the Guru. ‘Let’s go. We must hurry to my father quick!’
A poet in the royal garden focused on his poem. On the page, it had been empty for ten days. Now was the final day. And if he didn’t deliver a poem worthy of the Emperor’s liking, he would most likely be sacked. He wondered around, figuring how to get ideas into his head. He had prayed to Mata Saraswati, but she told he would have to wait on the final day. The poet hummed.

Instantly, a snake, a mongoose, a Saint, a prisoner, and the princess ran through the corridors. The poet watched as the courtesans and servant girls screamed. An idea had formed within his mind. He began writing. As the Guru caught his breath, the Emperor and Empress stared at them with shock and awe. The Emperor asked. ‘Who are you…Rishi Muni…and what is my daughter doing with a mongoose and a…snake?’

The Guru narrated his tale as the Emperor listened. ‘So, Jalla couldn’t kill me then. What do you suggest we do?’
The Guru narrated his plans as everyone listened.

****
The moon’s beauty shone on the royal lake at the centre of the palace. The fire torches burned, illuminating the night of the palace. Raja Kuttulonga walked with Prince Panadayan and his uncle. Panadayan shuffled slowly, walking behind the Emperor, unveiling his sword. Finally, the idiot Emperor is now in my hands. Thank you Guru ji, now I have the throne in my hands. The Raja turned towards him, Panadayan stopped.
The Emperor smiled. ‘Panadayan, I felt today’s situation in the royal cour wasn’t as dangerous as I had expected.’
Panadayan’s smile vanished. ‘That man was a traitor to you, your majesty. I merely hunted him down.’
His uncle came in to distract the Emperor. ‘And? Anyone that dares harm my brother shall face a fate worse than death! Your majesty, my nephew and I will always hold your best interests in our hearts.’
Empty words did not assume the Emperor’s loyalty. ‘I have tolerated your nephew for quite a long time. But tell me, how is it a village boy could try and kill me? I find it a bit…amusing.’
The Prince replied swiftly. ‘Anyone that threatens your existence is firmly a threat. Be that a village boy or a noble. Come with me, sire.’ He said, leading the Emperor to the balcony, as the city could be seen from below. It seemed like a miniature city, hundreds of huge temples and houses assembled together like a pack of cards. Panadayan sensed his moment. ‘Soldiers! Surround the Palace!’ he bellowed. Hundreds of soldiers assembled from the palace into the main plaza, kicking out sleeping residents, causing them to arrive. One or two guards herded the growing crowd like wolves herding sheep. The Emperor’s outrage meant nothing to him. ‘What is the meaning of this Prince Pandayan?’
Panadayan seized the Emperor and threw him to the ground. ‘The meaning is quite clear. I will become Emperor.’ He grinned, seizing the Kirīṭam. ‘You see…while I should have been outraged when you destroyed my Empire…I wasn’t exactly disappointed. I wanted to rule a far greater Empire, the Cholas. That gave me the chance to win your trust.’ He said, holding the Kirīṭam in his hands. The Emperor turned towards his uncle. ‘Brother…take control of your nephew! Remind…’ his voice trailed away as the uncle merely smiled.
‘Ha! You expect me to help you? I will be glad to see your throat slit. Go Nephew!’ Panadayan’s uncle declared. Panadayan bowed, grinning like a wild jackal. ‘Thank you, uncle.’ He said walking to the balcony. The crowd began to pester and ask questions.
A citizen shouted, ‘What is the meaning of this? Why have we been brought here?’
Another citizen roared. ‘Someone’s tried to kill the Emperor! Take over-’

Panadayan bellowed, raising the crown. ‘Citizens of Thanjauruvu, the Emperor is dead!’ a shocked gasp rippled through the crowds. Panadayan grinned. ‘An assassin killed him in mere daylight. It has come to my attention that the Empire will need a new Emperor. He has granted me the position. I am your new Emperor!’

Silence emerged from the crowd before angry outbursts erupted through the crowd.
A citizen shouted. ‘You’re a tyrant Prince Pandayan!’
Another citizen joined in. ‘You killed the King!’

Pandayan sensed the growing resentment and bellowed. ‘Enough! Anyone that disobeys me will face death! I will have you thrown to the lions, to the crocodiles; to the tigers should you raise a word against me.’ The crowd went silent. Pandayan grinned. ‘You will accept me as your Emperor. Look to your soldiers and see how I have brought them with gold.’ He said.
The soldiers roared.
Long live Emperor Pandayan!

Long live Emperor Pandayan!


Panadayan raised his hand. ‘You will live with me, or you will perish. I leave your fates in my hand.’ He said as the crowd shouted. He turned to his General. ‘Keep the crowd pacified, execute those that don’t obey me…and make sure the soldiers are given freedom.’ His general bowed before leaving. He saw the Emperor’s wife coming towards him. ‘Your highness, you are no longer the Empress.’
The Emperor’s wife fumed. ‘I’ll have you killed for this traitor. He treated you like a son. Why did you do this?’
Panadayan brought himself closer to the former Empress. ‘Because I will be eternal. I did not wish to rule a small Kingdom. Besides…I suppose the concubines will make a fine addition to my…collection. Soldiers! Arrest this wretch! I want the royal family brought in front of me.’ he said as more soldiers arrived, seizing the Queen. His uncle dragged the wounded King. ‘Nephew! I kicked the King unconsciousness, where shall we depose him?’
Panadayan grinned. ‘Let him accompany the wretch! Guards, take the former King, and put the two to be hanged and drained in the lakes.’ He ordered.

The Emperor’s wife shouted. ‘You won’t get away with this! Jalla will see to your demise, you traitor.’
Panadayan shrugged, he couldn't care less. ‘Let him come. He’ll just be a drop in the ocean compared to me.’
Jalla arrived, entering with a band of loyal soldiers. ‘That’s where you’re wrong. Panadayan, leave the King!’

Panadayan stretched his arms wide, grinning, folding up his robe in his shoulders. ‘Excellent! This makes the stage even more exciting. Take this,’ he grabbed a sword from a guard, flinging it over to Jalla. ‘Let us fight. You will be begging for death by the time I am done with you.’ Panadayan grinned, walking towards the balcony. Jalla gestured to the guards as they attacked Panadayan’s soldiers.
He turned to his uncle. ‘Mamshri, make sure that the Emperor and his Empress are deposed off. Nothing of them should remain. Where is our Guru?’

Panadayan’s Guru emerged. ‘I am here, Panadayan.You have done an excellent job. Now finish off the boy.’
Jalla’s Guru emerged, in the form of a snake, before transforming into his human being. ‘Pranam, Guruji. You won’t harm Jalla. I will kill you if you hesitate to kill him.’

Panadayan’s Guru acknowledged him. ‘Pranam, Guruji. I hate to be doing this, but we are stuck in the wrong world. Let us fight.’
Jalla’s Guru nodded, raising his hand. A bolt of blue electric energy hit the Guru. Panadayan’s Guru waved it off with his staff, causing one of the palace corridors to shake. Jalla ran with the sword in his hands and entered the balcony. Panadayan was nowhere to be seen. He felt a jerk, falling to the ground.

Panadayan emerged, holding a golden sword in his hands. ‘As I said boy, you are nothing compared to me.’ He plunged the sword down. Jalla rolled, arising. Panadayan grinned, attacking relentlessly. Jalla swung his sword meeting with Panadayan’s sword. The clang of steel clashed into the air. The two bolstered at each like other like lions. Jalla slashed Panadayan’s robes. In a rage, Panadayan ripped through Jalla’s ribs. Jalla staggered back, his hands trying to stop the blood flowing.

Panadayan swung his sword from left to right, cornering the young wounded man. ‘Do you see why you never stood a chance? You will die!’ he said, raising his sword. Jalla scrambled for his sword, bringing it to clash with Panadayan’s sword. Jalla kicked Panadayan, before proceeding to punch him hard. Panadayan smashed his face with his fist. Jalla staggered back once more, his eyes bleeding. His eyesight was long gone, only blurriness filled his vision.

Panadayan seized Jalla, thrusting towards the balcony. ‘You see that long distance down there boy? As I said, you are nothing in front of me. Nothing! Any last words before I raze your village to the ground?’

Jalla breathed, unable to react. He responded slowly. ‘Brahmins don’t cower in front of Ravans like you.’
Panadayan laughed. ‘I am Ravan then! Excellent-’ Jalla punched him, before holding Panadayan off the balcony. ‘You’ll suffer for this.’ He hissed. Suddenly Panadayan’s eyes widened in fear. He saw his Guru and Jalla’s Guru walking side by side as friends. The Emperor and Empress emerged, appearing unscathed. His uncle whimpered, being held in chains. Panadayan leaped off Jalla. ‘What is the meaning of this?’

His Guru replied. ‘It is the result of your karma. You proved yourself a tyrant when you should have been a gracious ruler. You no longer command my respect.’
Panadayan fumed. ‘You were in this, weren’t you? From the beginning. The Emperor and Empress…I thought they had been deposed.’
Jalla answered him. ‘They followed my Guru’s plans.’ He said, grabbing Panadayan’s throat. ‘Your time is over.’
Panadayan laughed. ‘Over? It’s beginning. What use will you do when you kill me? More like me will emerge over the years Jalla. You’re just a petty ant in front of a mighty elephant.’

Jalla smirked. ‘Even the mightiest of elephants can be scared away by a tiny ant.’ He said, thrusting Panadayan over the balcony. The look on his face would never leave Jalla’s mind, as he grinned. His body flew in the air, falling down with a large thud. It collapsed onto the ground, blood spilling. Jalla turned, suddenly his injuries taking control of his body, collapsing. The Emperor picked him up. ‘I cannot thank you enough for saving my life. Tell me Jalla, what is it that you want?’

Jalla chuckled, before remembering. My Father! He won’t be happy when he hears of this tale. ‘I need to get back to my village. I…just remembered. He told me he would go to Madurai to find me a wife…’ his voice trailed away.
The Emperor smiled. ‘I believe I might have something for you in that regard. Marry my daughter.’
Jalla turned with shock and surprise. ‘Your daughter? But I barely know her!’

The Emperor shrugged. ‘When you could defend my daughter against Panadayan, then who can stop you?’ he said, seeing his smiling daughter. ‘But your marriage will not happen in the village, it will happen here, in the royal palace. Do you accept?’
Jalla winced, nodding. ‘Of course sire.’

In the distance, Panadayan’s guru had vanished. Jalla’s Guru missed him, for he had gotten to know him for a brief time. Meanwhile, the snake and mongoose jabbered with each other. He looked at up the moon and could only wonder in its captivating beauty. He turned to see Jalla being carried by guards to the royal room. They had done it.

© Copyright 2017 Medjay (medjay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128124-Tale-of-Jalla