*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144151-Ode-to-My-Father
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Documentary · Biographical · #2144151
on memories of my dad

(Ode To My Father)
He made us feel safe. He protected and provided for us in a way that would leave you in awe. He was not always perfect, but who is? Sometimes I feel bad because we were not always close as I was young but we have gotten closer over the years. Even 4 months ago when his eye sight is failing and I was in the hospital I phoned him asking him to come. At 4 in the morning he did his best to drive in the dark, making his way, barely able to see, but he made it. He did that for me.
He bandaged my hand up when I was 9, when I was trying to be so independent, and then I started crying because I couldn't fix it myself, but he was so calm and said "let's see what we can do about this"
He"s always there to just listen; he may not always say much, but he listens. He really knows how to listen. But he's got his opinions! I will never forget how he would complain about movies with the same old story line.. "a down and out sports team comes together! they face unbelievable odds, but somehow win!!!!" I used to get upset with him on that one, but over the years I realized he is right... It's the same plot no matter how they want to spin it. He also used to say "you cannot be open minded, because then people can come along and pour anything into your brain".. that one also made me all upset..but it was so wise! He taught us how to think for ourselves, how to have passion for what we believe in, how to own up to our mistakes, how to work hard and the value of a dollar, how to honor our country and most importantly to believe the best in people. It's difficult now because he will not always be there. Time is so precious... even though 20 years ago I was so impressionable and thought somehow he was immortal. He is so incredibly important to me and I have so many things to thank him for. Where to even begin? So for now will just say fathers are incredible. Never take them for granted.

D.B. 2017

© Copyright 2017 River McKenna (rivermckenna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144151-Ode-to-My-Father