*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199620-The-Partyfolk
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2199620
You can't stop their parties! All Words: 578
The wind blew gently, and the leaves rustled. The Partyfolk listened carefully. One mistake, the smallest error could mean disaster. The wind grew stronger, the rustling louder. One by one, they looked at each other and smiled. The message was coming through loud and clear now. The trees were telling them it was safe. The ruler was asleep. So was everyone in the castle. All those in the palace outhouse were asleep, too. In short, the ruler and his tattletales would not know that there had been a party in Nofunlandia.

It was a rather sad tale. A hundred years ago, on the ruler's first birthday, his cousin had given him cake flavoured with soap, and a gift-wrapped spider. As soon as he turned eighteen and had his coronation, the ruler had banned all birthday parties in Nofunlandia. "No cake, no presents," he declared.

The subjects were unhappy. The pixies loved decorating the woods for a party. The elves loved making delicious food and serving it up to guests. The unicorns loved to dance, providing entertainment. The fairies loved creating beautiful gifts. Why, they wondered, should they stop, because of a prank played long ago?

It was the trees who came up with the idea. "The pines near the castle and outhouse can see straight into each bedroom window," they told the pixies. "They can pass the message to us when everyone is asleep, and we can take the message all over the land."

Immediately, the pixies called a meeting of the other folk, and a core team, called The Partyfolk was formed. Now, unbeknownst to the ruler, every birthday was celebrated, with decorations, dancing, food and gifts.

It was while they were celebrating Unique Unicorn's second birthday that things almost went wrong. You see, the palace cook had a sore throat. So she went to bed at the usual time, and, with everyone else being asleep already, the trees gave the message and the party started. However, the cook's sore throat disturbed her, and she awoke again. She went to get herself some hot water and honey to soothe her ache.

It was while she was at the beehive that she heard the sounds.

Laughter, singing and clapping.

"What's going on?" she asked the bees.

The bees pretended they didn't know. They pretended they couldn't hear the sounds. But the cook saw through the pretense and threatened to have them fumigated.

Finally, the youngest worker bee told the cook the truth. The cook forced the bees to lead her to the party.

The bees buzzed their warning as they neared, but the revelers could not clear up on time,and the cook saw the decorations. She smelt the remains of the food. "SO!" she shouted. "SO!"

She took a deep breath, ready to start on a loud rant.

Then she paused.

Her expression changed. Instead of angry, she now looked puzzled.

Everyone watched her, wondering what was going on. She took a couple more breaths.

"Who made the cake?" she asked, after a long pause.

"I did, Miss," said the second-oldest elf.

"Cinnamon?" she asked. "Is that the secret ingredient?"

"Yes, miss. And a touch of cardamom.:You're the first one who has guessed!"

"I smelled it, do I get to taste any?"

"We have one tiny piece left over," said Unique Unicorn, stepping forward with a plate.

The cook picked up the piece of cake offered. She closed her eyes. She took a bite. "Bliss," she said. "Bliss."

© Copyright 2019 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199620-The-Partyfolk