*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217213-Hollow-Thy-Bone
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Adult · #2217213
Empty the world will be, of nothingness we scream, truth does it all seem.

Hollow Thy Bone
by Keaton Foster

*Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5*


Hollow thy bone,
Broken said home.
Emptied spaces,
Craterous nations
Devoid of meaning.
Subjective,
Such reason
Broken into pieces.
Unsustainable,
This shape
Crashing down
All around.
A home cannot stand
Without foundation,
Crushing the weight,
Unable to escape
One’s own being.
A hell of a thing,
Gravity that is,
Pulling at us.
Never does it stop.
So surreal,
Quite real.
Understand one can,
Every other cannot.
Explanation,
Thus stagnation.
Knowing better,
Pain above all.
Hope, a hole,
Deeper does it go
Into forever’s bosom.
Wickedness inclined,
Tediousness enshrined.
Built upon bones,
Relics of a past,
Inescapable mistakes
Made by others
As well as myself.
I have failed
Them all,
Thyself.
I cannot stand,
I cannot rise above.
Down I have gone,
Looking up I remain.
I see the world
From the lowest point.
All that is true,
All that is dark,
I see within my purview.
I am no fool,
Nor am I a genius.
In between
All that is known
And most of what is not.
People, quite capable,
Evil monsters,
Abhorrent spectacles,
With tedious tentacles
Reaching out for me,
Grabbing the likes of you,
Pulling us down
Further into an abyss
Of nothingness,
Meaninglessness.
Hollow thy bone,
Broken said home.
Emptied spaces,
Craterous nations
Devoid of meaning.
Subjective,
Said reason.
I cannot stand
For any of you
Or my own damn self…


Written by Keaton Foster Copyright © 2008-2020


Synopsis

This poem is a haunting exploration of existential despair, the weight of personal failure, and the struggle to find meaning in a world that seems devoid of purpose. It uses stark imagery and evocative language to convey a sense of emptiness and hopelessness.

Analysis:

Emptiness and Brokenness: The poem opens with imagery of hollowness, brokenness, and emptiness, both within the self and in the world ("Hollow thy bone / Broken said home / Emptied spaces / Craterous nations"). This sets a tone of desolation and decay.

Devoid of Meaning: The portrayal of life as devoid of meaning and reason reflects a deep sense of existential nihilism ("Devoid of meaning / Subjective / Such reason"). This suggests a disillusionment with the inherent value of existence.

Personal Failure and Regret: The narrator expresses feelings of failure and regret, acknowledging their own mistakes and the weight of past decisions ("I have failed / Them all / Thyself"). This self-awareness adds a layer of introspection to the poem's themes.

Gravity of Existence: The metaphor of gravity pulling at the narrator symbolizes the relentless force of existence, dragging them down into despair and darkness ("Gravity that is / Pulling at us / Never does it stop").

Descent into Darkness: The narrator describes descending into darkness, both literally and metaphorically, unable to rise above their circumstances ("Down I have gone / Looking up I remain"). This imagery underscores the sense of powerlessness and entrapment.

Ambiguity of Humanity: There is a portrayal of humanity as both capable and monstrous, with individuals reaching out with "tedious tentacles" to drag others down ("People, quite capable / Evil monsters / Abhorrent spectacles"). This ambiguity highlights the complexity of human nature.

Isolation and Disconnection: The poem concludes with a sense of isolation and disconnection from others and the self ("I cannot stand / For any of you / Or my own damn self"). This reinforces the narrator's sense of alienation and despair.

Interpretation:

The poem can be interpreted as a deeply personal reflection on the experience of grappling with inner turmoil, external pressures, and the existential weight of existence. It captures the profound sense of disillusionment and despair that can arise when confronted with the perceived meaninglessness of life.

The imagery of brokenness and emptiness serves as a metaphor for the narrator's emotional and spiritual state, while the metaphor of gravity represents the inescapable pull of existence. The acknowledgment of personal failure and regret adds a layer of vulnerability to the narrative, highlighting the universal struggle to find purpose and redemption in the face of adversity.

Overall, the poem paints a bleak yet powerful portrait of the human condition, exploring themes of isolation, despair, and the relentless search for meaning in a world that often feels devoid of it.

© Copyright 2020 Keaton Foster: Know My Hell! (keatonfoster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217213-Hollow-Thy-Bone