*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222976-GOLIAD-EARTHS-HIDDEN-REALM--BOOK-1
by betsie
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2222976
Just about every realm has some mysterious magical accident in its history.

Chapter One



Long ago, in ancient times, when the earth was young, an invisible deity set sail from the vast universe. Silence remained unbroken, as he ventured towards a distant globe. Golden braided locks hung down the back of his head while loose strands caressed a flawless, pale, silken face and gentle radiant blue eyes. He was taller than average with the body of a warrior, firmly-built. Fine details of gold-silvery brocade and trim decorate his tunic. Arms protected by gold bracers and in one hand tresses of fire. Even then there was coolness about him.

The Legend Scrolls, which first emerged from the heavens, along with the seeing pond kept record and in spectacular detail it unveiled history....

Two hundred forty-five million years ago, it was the age of Odile. During the fifth moon Mezo when like a firefly, powered by translucent, wide spanned silver wings Nyx arrived on an unknown planet. Curious he inspected all he saw within this world, untouched. He eyed many a strange, gigantic beast that roamed about.

Around the globe at first glance, he saw various regions were dry as the desert, while others lush jungles with mosses and ferns that reached almost one hundred feet tall.

Unafraid of what lurked below, this deity without a deep breath collided into the ocean waves. In the depth of darkness he saw beauty, and fragility. There was an abundance of bizarre life forms sure to inspire the imagination. The smallest hidden by a variety of plants scattered across the seafloor.

After some time, like a beam of light he ejected from the waters into mid-air where he encountered birds with wingspans of up to twenty-five feet. In another direction he eyed flying insects the size of eagles buzzed about.

Astonished by sunset, he witnessed the glowing sun; a crisp circle in the bloody sky that highlighted a shaky path across the waters. It lathered the ocean's quiet waves and the wispy clouds in a burning red.

It was here, hovering in mid-air, that he separated a section of this world and vanished its presence from the naked eye. For his contribution, he gave it the name of Goliad.

When dawn made its presence, affectionate, the mysterious deity bowed reverent to the sun and in each of the four directions from where the wind blew.

No account was found within the Legend Scrolls of just how many ages transpired from here, but...


One hundred-eighty million years later, during the age of Gilri, in the second moon of Drit the sun was rising. Reverberation of an explosion brought Nyx to full alert, as rays raked through swamps and forests. Across the skies he saw an incoming asteroid and within minutes struck the heavens.

The fireball far bigger and brighter than the sun streaked through the air. Rolling thunder soon followed, as sound waves reflected off clouds and ground. These chords intensified as the massive rock neared. Only an instant later did a fragment slam into the planet with an explosive yield. It penetrated Earth's crust to a depth of several miles, gouging a crater larger than one hundred fifteen miles across. The event sent tons of fiery debris into the atmosphere that was hotter than the surface of the sun and it spanned over one thousand miles.

A ripple effect of earthquakes swept across the young planet. Fires choked the skies and blocked the sun. A tsunami of one thousand feet high caused even further damage. After all had settled, little of life remained.


Time would march, and in the age of Dhellar, in the third moon of Liste while gliding across the waters of his hidden confine, a mischievous smile formed on his features. His arms rose above his head then fanned out and down, slow, towards his chest. Moving against an invisible force, his palms faced each other until a small blue glowing ball of energy became visible. With fury both hands thrust outwards, releasing magic into the turquoise-coloured waters.

Not much time passed when a series of explosions followed. Clouds of smoke ensued. Land erupted in masses towards the surface as time elapsed.

Water assisted by southern winds, sandblasted rocks. It sculpted and carved away the land beneath. Several mountains soon took shape, on an island, one rose to twenty thousand feet.

Rage-filled northern winds whirled about Goliad's rich soil. It churned until fine stems sprouted, growing into, at first thin stalks of vegetation, later trees and plants.

The new-born planet's sun, moon, and stars gave life to this hidden world, also separating day from night. These would also serve as signs to mark seasons, days, and years.

Day after day, he filled in gaps with the strangest of trees, flowers and brush. It was next that the largest of the isles at quick pace was populated by dense forestry.


Without notice the age of Arshi had slipped by. This deity glanced at the sky. On command, a dash of thunder and lightning followed by torrent rains showered over the new-born realm, bringing forth-living creatures. Ash-scaled Fawn, Moray Fox, Platypus Hamster, Onyx Furred Tarantula, Thorny Liches, Frosnik, and Lime Squid Snail.

Turbulence filled the sea and from foamy waves emerged Bry'dl, Hairy Guppy, Plumeyed Okapi, Seraph, Unigopony, Coratigre, Paxan, Octowhale, Frillphin, and Rainrockcrab.

Winds from the four corners blew into existence Muddy Koodoo, Airdale Sponge Fly, Crossed Lizard Finch, Swan Badger Moth, Fleexebug, Troll Wasp, Squid Hawk, Bundlebee, Ghastokabu and Lynxowl.

Out of a breath of flames, a wee dragon sprung, afterwards flew across the air. It grew to one hundred feet from nose to hip. His lizard-like body covered in greenish scales, enormous bat type wings and a powerful tail. Eyes were like swirling copper pools. Nyx named it Umerus-Protector of Life. He gave to him magical abilities. Umerus could exhale a mist of darkness and understood all languages. He could also take on human form when needed. Entrusted to him, was the tome of Enchanted Guardian Chronicles. A modest tome bound in blackthorn plates inlaid with iron.

Power swirled within the waters until it formed two winged horses. Glowing of sparkles, a sudden burst of lightening gave life unto them. It sent them soaring into the skies. In addition, the loveliest of all was born from moonlight and driving rain -- a unicorn.

More extraordinary creatures came to life before Nyx was satisfied. Each drenched with a basic knowledge of magic and the ability to understand it. However, one thing had him perplexed; it was that these new-born beasts could not easily wield the magic he gifted.

He wandered the globe and one day came across an eagle carcass, its wingspan nine feet. Once a mighty beast, he thought. A wave of a hand and the leg bone rose in mid-air. His hand motioned, and it spun around releasing golden particles until they formed a beautiful flute. Nyx bowed to the carcass and took his flute back to Goliad. For the next five-million years, he would play melodic tunes, while he pondered on his dilemma.

One evening, he stood under the moonlight, his arms in a stretch reached towards the night sky. A hand opened and from space vacuumed energy to it. He brought his hands together overhead in a thunderous clap that disbursed the energy into hundreds of spirits that took on a creature's physical form. Pleased of this deed he granted to them the ability to shift into human-like form for brief periods. Some of these, as time carried on, dove into murky shadows only to become cruel and hateful.


Again time drifted, and one early spring morning as he lay on nature's plush green carpet where dry, drooping plants were now boasting of newfound youth. Birds flit overhead. Trees warmed by the bright sun's rays that streamed between their branches and the fresh smell of flowers filled the air. Jogged by a sudden thought, he bolted upright.


"Companions," his voice sounded young and raspy.


Another clear twilight, while moonbeams radiated, he flew west to the furthest and largest isle within the Sea of Patra. On its birth, split into four regions by use of Mount Thousand Whispers on its west side, Gate of Breaths volcano to the north and Mount Finch Stone against eastern shore. Between the two mountains, Lily Fur Forest joined them and spread from north to south. The island came to life with shrubs such as swine spring poisonflower, black woundwort, golden wormwood, and perennial silky duscle.

Trees were quick to grow and flower such as, weeping poke apricot, sharp-fringed sassile black cherry, and winter crabapple. There were plenty seashells, limestone, firebrush, beach pebbles and queen's brown sneezeweed.

Nyx's arms fanned out and in a series of twisted movements, joined. He thrust them towards the heavens, it caused a thunderous roar. Three rapid-fire lightning bolts struck ground with a boom. Debris blasted out and formed many human-like figures.


First to emerge would populate the Southwestern region of the island; Channelwar Llong winged elves, ethereal with snow-white hair and piercing green eyes. Only clan bestowed the ability to summon wings. Its ruler King Falmorn, and keeper of the earth crystal. Soon emerged his wife Queen Enkrana and their children Prince Qiven, Prince Erren, Princess Tatia and Prince Travan.


Second: Northwestern region, Damp Blade Torul silver elves. Their olive skin seemed smooth and silky against their fire red hair, but warm caramel coloured eyes. Its ruler King Guilodir and keeper of the water crystal, Queen Anith and his heirs Prince Eston, Prince Aejeon, Prince Dayzephr, Princess Elmyra and Prince Quen.


Third: Northeastern region, Maiden Cape Inekal dark elves. With bloodless skin, coal black hair and mesmerizing grey eyes. Its ruler King Rion and keeper of the air crystal, Queen Kayleen followed by their children Prince Almar, Prince Galomin, Princess Evvie, Prince Kailu and Princess Riane.

Fourth: Southeastern region, Rockguard Aree azure elves. Sandy brown hair, reddish tinted eyes and light brown skin. Its ruler King Rosrod and keeper of the fire crystal, Queen Lanwen, their children Prince Rewalt, Princess Sargwin, Prince Dashi and Princess Curia, Prince Elmil.


Ten years after the four regions had come to life, arose three lower level immortal branches that surrounded each kingdom. Hidden within some of these villages, individuals who dared enough to hide power and influence, in hopes of cultivating towards a higher immortal status.


Unexplainable swirling vapour's soon engulfed the mountain ranges and volcano. Like a blanket of unreliable energy, neither good nor bad, it draped over every crevice. Some time passed when individuals emerged from the grey mist.

Below the first peak of Thousand Whispers Mountain, along Swooping Dragon Path a medium-sized ice crystal home covered by snow sprang out of thin air. Here snow elves with hypnotizing blue eyes came to life. They were, a crabby wizard named Lumpeyesfossilskin with two assistants named Tulipwildoak and Talonbladesquall.

The sun shone down brilliant near the top of Mount Finch Stone. This intense act brought into being the yellow-haired, bronze-skinned sun elves. Winds carved the mountain, leaving it covered in thousands of mineral fragments causing sparkle in the sunlight. Here named Pearlside Palace, where one can find Kyrenna, head guardian and her fellow companions, Silentgazer, Ravenfinder and Gravechanter.

Winds whipped on the west base of Thousand Whispers. An angry gust outside howled like hungry wild animals until it snaked into it, creating a tunnelled entrance. Inside was carved limestone passages dark and damp. From here, a maze formed from the plethora of stalagmites and pillars that created walls and chambers. Given the name Lightning Trapper Cave, and from the depths of this darkness arose Ruyau the Fairy Demon.

Upon the island's birth a phenomena occurred when after a number of volatile eruptions of ice-volcanic melt which overnight had formed Gate of Breaths. Enormous ice crystals filled the entrance at the foot to compose an intricate labyrinth. Natural light seeped in through the dense ice, unique; it supplied the cave an adventurous atmosphere. The legend scrolls recorded that Venna, a pixie witch was born there.

Inside Lily Fur Forest where most trees are skyscraper tall, branches creak from aged growth. The grass floor and veiled trails snake through the care-worn woods. Strange creatures scurried in search of food under bristles of wispy moss, as seasoned smells wafted. Soul swelling was the splendour of the forest and by no coincidence, Yinghon a dryad was birthed from the eldest of woodland.

Thousands of years would drift on, as Nyx completed countless works. In all nine realms had come to life, each unique, filled with magic. In this second realm, immortals lived without boundaries, but shared a common struggle. Like their mortal counterparts of the first realm, to survive and multiply but even after thousands of years the basic instinct and personalities cannot be accurately understood.

For two hundred seventy-five ages, the four regions settled in a realm of eternal youth and beauty. The price for living here, too great, as a closer look revealed a world more elusive and sinister than one could imagine.

© Copyright 2020 betsie (betsie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222976-GOLIAD-EARTHS-HIDDEN-REALM--BOOK-1